Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, Daniel Blake.

Ken Loach's latest look at life of the working class in the North of England. Daniel Blake is a joiner that has had issues with his heart and been told he is unfit for work by his cardiologist. Despite this, a health consultant at a government agency decides that he is fit enough to work and unable to receive any benefits unless he goes out and actively looks for work. Blake is late 50's/early 60's and unable to use modern technology. He has to lodge forms online and make a CV , all the while dealing with people within the agencies that are unable to help him because they are not the 'decision makers'.

He befriends a young single mother that has been given a flat to live in, in Newcastle with her 2 kids and been forced to leave London and any family support. The hopelessness that she feels is beautifully realized.

Loach tends to show the bleak reality of life that has stopped caring about the vulnerable. This is funny, sad, heartbreaking, moving and brilliant. Great, believable dialogue and amazing natural performances.

9/10

As an aside. How annoying are people in the movies nowadays ? First time I have been since the latest Star Wars came out. The cinema was full of people who decided that their commentary had to be heard by everybody else. Yes, I know that the people working in the government office were annoying. I did not need a bloke sitting 2 rows in front of me to moan, groan and say "morons" every few minutes. A guy sitting in our row had a bag of goodies and every few minutes, he shined a pencil torch inside to get out something to eat.

Jason Bourne - Fits in nicely with the other three (can't really remember the Jeremy Renner one too much). By now, everyone knows what to expect. It was a good one, good action, good pace and a decent story.

Nocturnal Animals-
Brilliant, the juxtaposition between the two storylines visually was exceptional and the acting (particularly Shannon and Taylor-Johnson) was top notch. The film stayed with me for a while after we left the cinema, haunting, sad and in a weird way terrifying. 9/10

Going this afternoon.

Doesn't seem right that a quality film is on such limited time slots.

One complex has one screening in Melbourne...on a Sunday at 9.20pm....ffs...

The Brotherhood of War (2004) - South Korean version of a big Hollywood war movie. Excellent acting and a moving if slightly melodramatic story. The action scenes are appropriately brutal & uncompromising. I didn't really know much about the Korean War before watching this so I found it historically interesting as well as entertaining. Excellent war movie, up there with the best. 9/10

Nocturnal Animals-
Brilliant, the juxtaposition between the two storylines visually was exceptional and the acting (particularly Shannon and Taylor-Johnson) was top notch. The film stayed with me for a while after we left the cinema, haunting, sad and in a weird way terrifying. 9/10

OMG.

Gruelling from open scene to the last.

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them

CGI was brilliant and the storyline kept my engaged for the 2 hours. It was really good and well done. Cast were brilliant in their acting, funny in their delivery and caring with animation.

Movie was well done and JK Rowling know how to write a good wizarding story. A must watch for Harry Potter fans.

The Light Between Oceans.

Slow, long and a tearjerker. Fassbender and Vikander excellent in the leads and a very good support line up with Weiss, Bryan Brown, Jack Thompson & Garry McDonald.

Ultimately thought it's a chic flick and my Mrs acknowledged I earned a fair few points today and get to pick the next one (The Handmaiden).

Continuing my Emma Watson run I watched Perks of being a Wallflower this arvo. Reminded of myself a lil moving to a school at the start of high school and not having any friends or social life. Bit deep with mental health issues but shows what happens to people who just need to get out and find friends/help. 9/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a bit disappointed with Nocturnal Animals. But hey that's me- have expectations sky high there is only one way they can go when I actually see the film.

Oh yeah and a guy's mobile phone rang in the audience right as the final scene was ending.
Just perfect bloody timing. Dick.

I was a bit disappointed with Nocturnal Animals. But hey that's me- have expectations sky high there is only one way they can go when I actually see the film.

Oh yeah and a guy's mobile phone rang in the audience right as the final scene was ending.
At least it didn't happen in the 'highway scene' that would have been worse.

Wat did you think of the opening credits and then first 30 minutes.?

I wish I had missed the opening credits. First 30 min was brilliant.

Then the disappointment kicked in after that.

It was obviously done for a reason on mind re the opening.

Create a sense of disgust?

Juxtaposition against the ease of life the main female character had?

At least it didn't happen in the 'highway scene' that would have been worse.
Wat did you think of the opening credits and then first 30 minutes.?

What was you guys' interpretation of the ending?
did you think he just stood her up- I have been reading a theory he committed suicide- that the book was some kind of suicide note to her

It was obviously done for a reason on mind re the opening.

Create a sense of disgust?

Juxtaposition against the ease of life the main female character had?

Well congrats mission accomplished. Sorry if I sound shallow- well not sorry- the sight was disgusting and seemed to drag on far too long.

What was you guys' interpretation of the ending?
did you think he just stood her up- I have been reading a theory he committed suicide- that the book was some kind of suicide note to her

Possibly.

Book scenes replicated to an extent her real life scenes at times.

Ending was deliberately ambiguous but

The whole book was the side by side of their real life, him losing his wife and daughter in the book versus losing his wife and daughter in real life so it would make sense if he killed himself at the end. Although you could interpret that him killing the murderer in the book was him standing her up... I dont know, but i loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back