Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Fast X

The plot made no sense. Random exotic locations. The action was OTT ridiculous. Just what you would expect if you had watched any of the previous in the franchise. Switch your brain off for 2+ hours and don't over analyse.

5/10

I don't know about Fast X, haven't seen it.

Problem is they don't work as a switch your brain off action flick because the last few have tried SOOOO HARD to incorporate dramatic, one would say over dramatic parts, and bullshit hamfisted sentimentality. You know, all the 'family' bits.

You get the feeling Vin Diesel believes he's making truely epic cinema like LOTR or something, rather than James Bond if they added in rap music, obnoxious American characters, and more car stuff.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Clerks 3 - don't bother. Will still always love Kevin Smith though
Same. A Kevin Smith fan boy here, but this film was bad. It had a couple of chuckle worthy moments, a bit of fan service, a forced tear jerking moment, but an overall bad finale to the two previously solid Clerks movies.

Same. A Kevin Smith fan boy here, but this film was bad. It had a couple of chuckle worthy moments, a bit of fan service, a forced tear jerking moment, but an overall bad finale to the two previously solid Clerks movies.
Was Clerks 2 even solid though? I barely remember but thought it was also fairly average while ticking a few nostalgia boxes.

Anyways, Extraction 2… exactly what you’d expect. An all-action film, beginning to end, but nothing particularly memorable about it. Hemsworth doesn’t even get his shirt off once, much to my wife’s (and my) disappointment. Still fun enough. 6.5/10

Said it before but Baz is hideous. I can’t think of a style of movie, topic or subject matter that I’d like to see him deal with. Cringe.
Agree. Haven't watched a film of his since Romero and Juliet. His films' trailers make me ill. The fact someone gave him a greenlight for an Elvis biopic with a decent budget is such a travesty.

Was Clerks 2 even solid though? I barely remember but thought it was also fairly average while ticking a few nostalgia boxes.

Anyways, Extraction 2… exactly what you’d expect. An all-action film, beginning to end, but nothing particularly memorable about it. Hemsworth doesn’t even get his shirt off once, much to my wife’s (and my) disappointment. Still fun enough. 6.5/10
Clerks 2 was garbage - I loved the first and did not warrant or require a sequel. Frankly, anything that came after Chasing Amy was not good.

I don't know about Fast X, haven't seen it.

Problem is they don't work as a switch your brain off action flick because the last few have tried SOOOO HARD to incorporate dramatic, one would say over dramatic parts, and bullshit hamfisted sentimentality. You know, all the 'family' bits.

You get the feeling Vin Diesel believes he's making truely epic cinema like LOTR or something, rather than James Bond if they added in rap music, obnoxious American characters, and more car stuff.

I get why people don't like the Fast franchise, but Fast X is undoubtedly self aware.

Sound of Metal (2019, SBS On Demand) -

A heroin addict and drummer loses his hearing. The hearing loss as it happens in the first 20mins. Plenty of other films dawdle to get to the conflict so props for getting to the point. What happens next is a rehab story with the added complexity of said hearing loss. Was interesting to see the surgical option and its flaws. Riz Ahmed gives a believable performance. 7.5/10.

Point Break (1991, SBS On Demand) -

FBI Agent Keanu tries to bring down Swayze and his gang of bank robbers/surfers. Dumb fun. The action scenes are top notch, the dialogue is pitiful. A typical 80's/90's action film. You'll know in the first minute if it's your particular cup of tea. 7/10.
Was that the first time watching PB?

I get why people don't like the Fast franchise, but Fast X is undoubtedly self aware.
That would be a first.

I think most are decent entertainment, but they've been getting progressively more tacky since part 5, to the point where it made 8 and 9 unwatachable. That, and the fact nobody ever seems to die or even get hurt, so there feels like there are no stakes.

Even brain off movies need stakes.

I don't think Point Break is typical 80s/90s action. The entire middle part of the movies switches off the action, and the 'action' scenes become the surfing parts and other stuff that Swayze gets the group up too.

That would be a first.

I think most are decent entertainment, but they've been getting progressively more tacky since part 5, to the point where it made 8 and 9 unwatachable. That, and the fact nobody ever seems to die or even get hurt, so there feels like there are no stakes.

Even brain off movies need stakes.

Some valid comments there, but people get different things out of these movies and these still enjoy them.

If people had a problem with 5 not sure why they would continue or be surprised with the formula another 5 movies in.

IMO they've been tonally consistent since they decided to go with the bonkers implausible stunts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that the first time watching PB?
Correct. I haven't rewatched a film other than Crackerjack for about a decade. Too many good films unseen. Eg- haven't seen any Terminators, Die Hards and Avatars just for action films.

Elementals.

But of an emotional movie. Will need to gather my thoughts before posting my surmation of it.

Playing and utilising the 4 elements of life, earth, wind, fire and water, Pixar flesh out key themes that affect the worlds daily being. Trailers clearly showed and hinted at interr-elemental relationships. But thankfully it did not delve into what the movie is really about - immigration, culture and melting pots (excuse the pun).

The movie follows Ember (fire) and Wade (water) as they strike up a relationship, one that's never meant to be in Element City. Ember works in the family business, her father (a traditionalist) started the business and has visiions of retirement, handing it over to Ember. The family, Lumens, are immigrants and this theme plays heavily throughout the film. We learn that her parents were victims of racism upon arrival, her father unable to speak English well and the immigration department laughing and giving them an anglo name.

The shop however presents the setting and fuel for the relationship fire. Wade sees structural issues in the shop which sets us on our way, threat of store closure. But putting work aside, Wade and Ember find commonality where romance tries to blossom. But society frowns on water and fire mixing, just as parts of the world does about interracial bonds. And father Lumens a traditionalist is also set in his ways.

There will be angst and discomfort from sections of the world/media given the racial themes. People will cite wokeness about the movie and feel that the movie is simply political correctness with direction coming from person of Korean heritage.

Lots of young children in the coinema. Its fun and colourful, but some children wont understand the nuances....and that's ok.

7/10

Kindergarten Cop… watched this with the kids. Cheesy but still pretty funny. Kids loved it. 7.5/10.
What I got out of it on a watch relatively recently... The action and gun bits are still quite well done and play it serious and could fit in with most other Arnie movies, if I remember correct.

Kindergarten Cop… watched this with the kids. Cheesy but still pretty funny. Kids loved it. 7.5/10.
Do boys still have penises and girls vaginas in this film or has it been edited to reflect modern 'science'?

What I got out of it on a watch relatively recently... The action and gun bits are still quite well done and play it serious and could fit in with most other Arnie movies, if I remember correct.

Correct. It’s a weird movie in that it’s mainly a goofy comedy but the first and last 10 minutes are too violent for a goofy comedy.

Do boys still have penises and girls vaginas in this film or has it been edited to reflect modern 'science'?
They do. And it was a hit with both kids.

Finding the Voice - the John Farnham Story. I'm not a Farnsy fangirl but I appreciate his talent. This was a well put together doco with a few random cameos...I learnt a lot about the Australian music industry in the 60s and 70s. Sadly no current day footage of Olivia Newton John or Farnsy himself, presumably due to their ill health when they were interviewed.

Cried a fair bit towards the end, could just be because I'm a sensitive soul.

Glenn Wheatley's wife is still a hottie.

The Flash - probably the best DC movie since the 1st wonder woman. really enjoyed it, all the cameos were brilliant (the 1 at the end was amazing). For the people my age who still think of Keaton and their batman will absolutely love seeing him on screen again.
7/10

Two flicks over the weekend.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: One of my favourites, probably in my top 5 movies of all time. Even repeat viewing is still is as entertaining as ever. The plot, the acting, the pace of the movie and more importantly the dialogue. Has some of the best one liners in a movie, for example the bar scene:

• Bacon: What's that?
  • Samoan Joe's Barman: It's a cocktail. You asked for a cocktail.
  • Bacon: No. I asked you to give me a refreshing drink. I wasn't expecting a ****ing rainforest! You could fall in love with an orangutan in that!
  • Samoan Joe's Barman: You want a pint, you go to the pub.
  • Bacon: I thought this was a pub!
  • Samoan Joes Barman: It's a Samoan pub.
Easily Guy Ritche's best, I enjoyed Snatch but this is levels above it. A true masterpiece 10/10, there's nothing in this movie I can fault.

With all the talk of the Avatar sequel, my son and I sat down and watched the first. Visually amazing (even though its ten odd years old). Plot pretty paper thin, fish out of water, adopts his new tribe fights against a corporate monster etc. Action scenes very good and overall it was entertaining. 7/10.

Will hit the sequel next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back