Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Whiplash (2014) - JK Simmons and Miles Teller

A young drummer trying to establish himself at a prestige NY music school.
I probably never would have watched it, but my 13yo stepson is learning drums and was interested in watching it.
We both loved it. Highly recommend if anyone was on the fence about watching it. Don't have to be a music lover.

Was discussing Dont Worry Darling with someone last night and recalled i didnt actually post a review.

Its not great. Wonderful production design (almost too good if you know the twist) and Florence and Pine are great but beyond that its just... really telegraphed and average. I also dont mind an amibgious ending but theres ALOT of threads that dont get any sort of attention here. Its some great ideas none of which is fully formed.

6/10 i suppose
I'm late to the party on your post but something's been bugging me about this stupid movie and it's media attention.

Olivia Wilde kept talking up the sex scenes as being for women - all about the chicks, no fellas orgasm in this movie etc. But once you know the twist, it means that all the sex is non-consensual. How the **** does that make sense? Wilde positioned the entire focus of the trailer etc around Pugh's character getting raped and calling it feminism. Makes an atrocious movie even worse.

I'm late to the party on your post but something's been bugging me about this stupid movie and it's media attention.

Olivia Wilde kept talking up the sex scenes as being for women - all about the chicks, no fellas orgasm in this movie etc. But once you know the twist, it means that all the sex is non-consensual. How the * does that make sense? Wilde positioned the entire focus of the trailer etc around Pugh's character getting raped and calling it feminism. Makes an atrocious movie even worse.
100% unfortunately the more you think about this movie the worse it gets. The more threads my wife raises and notes after a few days the more cooked it becomes.

The Swimmers.

True story currently airing on Netflix about 2 teenage sisters trying to escape worn torn Syria at the height of their careers as swimmers and the dream of making it to the Olympics.

Really well made and shows what so many have gone through when their own country turns to shit due to war which leaves so many normal people without a choice but to flee on very dangerous paths to escape the atrocities they face if they choose to stay, not to mention being ripped off money wise every step of the way while just searching for a new peaceful existence on earth.

Really good watch and eye opening drama. Googling the main sisters after watching the film only made it so much better and I take my hat off to them both.

7/10. 👍

The Spectacular Now - 8/10 (2013)

A cute little coming of age/romantic drama film featuring some young actors as they were breaking out (Miles Teller, Brie Larson, Shailene Woodley) with some great cameo roles from experienced hands Jen Jason Leigh, Bob Odenkirk and Kyle Chandler. Some really great acting in this, Teller and Woodley especially have fantastic chemistry. Not your typical teenage coming of age story lines either, the film actually delves into some realistic themes and emotions.

Recommend it.

I probably never would have watched it, but my 13yo stepson is learning drums and was interested in watching it.
We both loved it. Highly recommend if anyone was on the fence about watching it. Don't have to be a music lover.

Thoroughly enjoyed it - having a musical background etc it was good but the story, and the ending was bloody good.

Also loved how brutal JK Simmons' character was.

Check out Sound of Metal if you like music films

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new Batman movie was terrible.

Christian Bale was the goat, followed closely by Keaton.

the_best_batman__buster_keaton_by_mapacheanepicstory_d4odvoi-350t.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed it - having a musical background etc it was good but the story, and the ending was bloody good.

Also loved how brutal JK Simmons' character was.
Every time he came out with a new insult, you couldn't help but laugh while also thinking how much of a campaigner he is.
Brutally brilliant, but not sure anyone else could pull it off so hilariously charmingly.

The Stranger (2022): Retelling of the massive undercover operation to convict an Aussie child killer. Lots of shady coppery tinged scenes of meetings in hotels or motels. Interesting that the overall approach wouldn’t have held up in the US courts. 6.5/10.

Caught some movies over the weekend that take me straight back to my childhood.

The Big Steal and Beaches.
/and that bloody Wind Beneath my Wings crap still has me in tears :$

The Big Sick (2017)

Movie about a Pakistani comedian who falls in love with a white American girl. Great performances. An easy watch. Some good humour sprinkled in there. I chuckled a couple times. Ray Romano plays a good cameo.

Enjoyed it heaps. Check it out.

7/10
9/11 joke was an absolute pisser- was legit crying from laughing in the cinema when I saw it.

Last edited:
Midsommar (2019) - Young American woman, her shitty boyfriend and his friends go on holiday to rural Sweden. Good movie. Fascinating for horror as so much of it takes place in bright sunshine.

Good movie but felt it could have taken that next step and been a bit of a modern classic. Had it all in place.

The new Batman movie was terrible.

Christian Bale was the goat, followed closely by Keaton.
The R-Patz one? I quite enjoyed it.
Thirteen (2003) - Girl starts high school and changes from agreeable and good grades to doing drugs with her new friend. Would've seemed like the most hardcore movie ever if I'd seen it at 13. Really liked it as an adult but the most uncomfortable part isn't the very young girl doing drugs and harming herself, it's watching her mum trying to have conversations with her.
This is a brutal film IMO. This, Havoc and Alpha Dog whilst not being GREAT films have such a good take on young people desperately wanting to be cool and find themselves without having any idea what that means and how dangerous it can be.

This is a brutal film IMO. This, Havoc and Alpha Dog whilst not being GREAT films have such a good take on young people desperately wanting to be cool and find themselves without having any idea what that means and how dangerous it can be.
Add "Kids" to that list too.

Wife wants to watch Christmas shows so we watched the new will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds one.......pure torture (kids hated it as well)

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watch The Ref with Dennis Leary. I have it at home, gotta get sround to watching it in full. I skipped through it as was short on time. Seems an ok watch

Morbius... I knew it was going to be pretty average, was just putting on something the wife didn't want to watch cause she was busy, but gee, by any superhero standards, this is piss poor. None of the major character developments are earned or carry any emotional weight at all, the story is rushed (just like Venom 2... now I've often complained about ridiculous run times of superhero movies, but just over 90 mins sans credits isn't giving you enough time to flesh out the characters), even the acting is weak, even though they have some solid actors, the special effects is weird. And the post-credits scenes are laughably bad. 3/10

X Men Dark Phoenix: My kitten did a shit on the laundry floor, that was more fun to clean up than watching this. What was Fassbender, McAvoy, Lawrence and co thinking signing up for this?? Xmen First Class was first class, DOFP was a solid entertaining film, Apocalypse was an average flick with a couple of good scenes. Dark Phoenix was utter crap. 1/10. To the producers

download (1).jpg

Fast and Furious (the 4th one): Yeah I like brainless actions flicks on the weekend and I enjoyed the first one. Decided to skip the 2nd and 3rd ones as they seem to have different story arc's so jumped straight to the 4th. Its not great, pretty boring actually. Lacks the feel the first one had, sitting round knocking off Corona's, racing mad cars. Ill continue on though I want to see them all. 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back