Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Furiosa

Another excellent film, good little run I’m having of late. Much slower and story based than Fury Road but it works. The action set pieces are as brilliantly inventive and well structured and shot as ever. Hemsworth and ATJ are fantastic as well, quite enjoyed Tom Burke as well.

Furiosa

Another excellent film, good little run I’m having of late. Much slower and story based than Fury Road but it works. The action set pieces are as brilliantly inventive and well structured and shot as ever. Hemsworth and ATJ are fantastic as well, quite enjoyed Tom Burke as well.
I liked it - and in terms of setpieces it certainly has enough - but neither Hemsworth (looking like some bogan out the front of a Frankston TAB) nor Joy (who barely appears until the halfway mark) get much time to establish their characters. So to invest either hope or hatred in either becomes a strained task.

At one point I could not discern who were the good guys and who were the bad.

But those quibbles aside the action was terrific and it was an enjoyable afternoon out.

I liked it - and in terms of setpieces it certainly has enough - but neither Hemsworth (looking like some bogan out the front of a Frankston TAB) nor Joy (who barely appears until the halfway mark) get much time to establish their characters. So to invest either hope or hatred in either becomes a strained task.

At one point I could not discern who were the good guys and who were the bad.

But those quibbles aside the action was terrific and it was an enjoyable afternoon out.
I thought Hemsworth prothesis was a bit distracting and unneccesary but I thought his performance was great, quite the pantomime villain for the very ott world it’s set in. ATJ does most of her work with her face and I thought was great.

I think the point is there aren’t really any good guys in that world. Obviously Furiosas backstory is pretty tragic but all of them are pretty shitty, violent people made that way by a shitty violent world. Furiousa and Pretorian Jack seem to be “good” but still violent murderers. Immortal Joe/Dementus/Bullet Farmer/People Eater etc are all bad guys. The politics of the world and the war doesn’t have good and bad, it’s a bunch of evil murderous war lords trying to profiteer.

Dipped into some older movies but glad I did (rewatches of course).

Easy A - I know it riffs heavily on 80's movies but can't deny the charismatic Emma Stone in the lead and well supported by some good bit parts (the parents of Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson, as well as Thomas Haden Church) make the movie enjoyable (the writing was on point as well). A solid 7.5 for me.

Frequency - Digged into this 1999 movie that is heavy on that father/son relationship stuff with a bit of action and mystery. Naturally, have to suspend a lot of logic on the concept but reasonably entertaining. The old style aging of characters is a bit funny using conventional make up (not the Irishman style CGI). A 6/10 run.

Late Night with the Devil

Cool concept and fairly well executed. The movie really lives and dies by Dastmalchians performance and he lives up to it for me. I thought Ian Bliss was fantastic as well. Worth a look for the horror afficianados.

Twisters (2024)

It's a bit cheesy but it's lots of fun. There's a decent plot and good characters. Daisy Edgar-Jones is the lead but Glenn Powell steals the show. The tornado action is spectacular. There's some good needle drops. I'll never look at another cloud without thinking it might kill me.

6/10

Past Lives

Welllllll damn. A slow and quiet burn that’ll absolutely crush your soul when it’s done. Masterfully written and constructed by Celine Song and brilliantly delivered by Greta Lee, Teo Yoo and John Magaro.

Brilliant film all around.

Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter One: Kevin Costner's newest and an enormous box office flop, so I wanted to see it before it left the cinema, because vanity projects are too rare these days and ought to be supported. It's an incomplete movie, and so it's hard to truly judge it, but I didn't hate what I saw, even if some parts were more compelling than others. I do hope we get Chapter Two released, as it's now been pulled, and I can sadly assume Chapters Three and Four aren't going to happen now. Also, full props to Costner for giving himself a big movie star entrance an hour into the film and then, turning 70 next year, immediately have the most beautiful prostitute in town throw herself at him, wanting to have sex for free, and for him to reluctantly meet her demands.

Twisters: it's a funny comparison that Die Hard was originally a sequel to a 1968 Frank Sinatra film that had passed into obscurity at the time and the producers ensured there was absolutely no link between the two. Now here's a film that's totally unrelated to a forgotten blockbuster from 28 years ago with absolutely no ties to it (early on in production they tried to get Helen Hunt on board but no such luck) and they market it as a sequel. That says something about the state of film today. Some really clunky dialogue and inconsistent CGI but this was overall pretty fun, with some good moments of tension and, hey, Glen Powell really does have that movie star charisma. Daisy Edgar-Jones, such a revelation in Normal People, has struggled to recapture that since while Paul Mescal has gone from strength to strength. This is probably her best vehicle since then, but she still has a bit to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was really looking forward to MaXXXine and wrote of all the middling reviews as "critics don't get horror" but it really is underwhelming compared to X and Pearl.
Feel like they got too big a casting budget following the popularity of the first two and it works against the film. Having Kevin bacon/bobby carnavale/giancarlo esposito all dial the ham up to 11 makes it feel like a comedy than an 80s slasher flick.

Presumed Innocent.

Watched this last night after finishing the appletv remake with Jake Gyllenhaal (who is amazing in everything). I remember watching the original Harrison Ford flick when it came out but it was so long ago I couldn't quite remember how it ended up. I remembered enjoying it though. Partly because there were so many actors I love like Paul Winfield, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, Greta Scacchi and of course Mrs John McClane herself Bonnie Bedelia.

This movie still stands up but what is really interesting is the different way they came at it compared to the remake. I'm pretty sure there isn't a thread for the appletv series but I didn't want to start one in case we're the only ones who watched it.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare… Guy Ritchie film very loosely based on a WWII unit that changed the war with an off-the-books mission. It’s watchable and has the hallmarks of a Ritchie film but the dialogue lacks the usual spark. There’s also very little narrative tension, it never feels like the heroes are anything less than awesome and got everything in hand. The best part is the chemistry between the cast. 6.5/10

Horizon: An American Saga – Chapter 1 (2024)

I love an epic Western but this three hour production by Kevin Costner is unsatisfying. The acting, cinematography and score are all fine. But there are no memorable scenes and the plot is unfocused. Characters appear and do things (and often die) without you knowing who they are or how they relate to each other. Costner, Sam Worthington and Sienna Miller provide the star quality but by the end you still don't really understand their characters' motivations. The editing is poor. There are jarring jumps that make you wonder whether you had missed a scene. There's a weird montage at the end which I think was meant to be a preview for chapters 2, 3 and 4 - which we may never see. It might have worked better as a 10 or 12 part TV show of one hour episodes.

4/10

Twisters (2024)

It's a bit cheesy but it's lots of fun. There's a decent plot and good characters. Daisy Edgar-Jones is the lead but Glenn Powell steals the show. The tornado action is spectacular. There's some good needle drops. I'll never look at another cloud without thinking it might kill me.

6/10

I liked this movie too.

Horizon: An American Saga – Chapter 1 (2024)

I love an epic Western but this three hour production by Kevin Costner is unsatisfying. The acting, cinematography and score are all fine. But there are no memorable scenes and the plot is unfocused. Characters appear and do things (and often die) without you knowing who they are or how they relate to each other. Costner, Sam Worthington and Sienna Miller provide the star quality but by the end you still don't really understand their characters' motivations. The editing is poor. There are jarring jumps that make you wonder whether you had missed a scene. There's a weird montage at the end which I think was meant to be a preview for chapters 2, 3 and 4 - which we may never see. It might have worked better as a 10 or 12 part TV show of one hour episodes.

4/10

You would have thought Cossie would have learnt his lesson from making boring, way too long Western-esque type films after the disaster that The Postman ...

You would have thought Cossie would have learnt his lesson from making boring, way too long Western-esque type films after the disaster that The Postman ...
Even dances, I don’t think many people have rewatched that movie, it is loooooooong and honestly very, very dull.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back