Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Big biased fan of the Alien franchise here. I loved it, especially when it came out and at the time of my life back in 2012.

You will enjoy Alien Covenant, if you liked Prometheus, which is the sequel.

If you are only watching Prometheus now, you probably didnt know about this viral video "scene" for the movie. It raises a point Ive made previously, I wish there was a version of the movie that included all these missing scenes. Incidentally Ive only just come across an extended version of Prometheus, that for the life of me, I cant work out why I never knew about it.

That scene is awesome. How did it fit into the movies?

Alien Covenant is next for me.

That scene is awesome. How did it fit into the movies?

Alien Covenant is next for me.
I know the Weyland scene definitely slows the pace of the movie down in the beginning and understand why it wasn't in a theatrical release , I just wish it was included in a BluRay version of an extended cut.

Someone on here directed me to the extended cut of this movie, which I have never seen its like 2.5hrs long, which is interesting.

I found this on IMDB

Prometheus extended cut
Ridley Scott is still on the publicity trail and has recently spoken about an extended cut of Prometheus, "This is fundamentally the director’s cut", he confirmed of the cinematic release. "But there will be half an hour of stuff on the menu [of the disc release] because people are so into films - how they’re made, how they’re set up, and the rejections in it. That’s why it’s fascinating. So this will all go on to the menu." We could be looking at an extra 20 minutes on the extended cut where in one of the extra scenes will feature Dr. Shaw fighting an engineer. Via Collider...

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Somehow never got around to watching this all those years ago. It’s exactly as stupid as you’d expect, as long as you’re ok with that, it’s a decent enough flick. Got one of the best lines in it as well - “I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence”

6.5/10
Yeah we watched it a few weeks ago. It's pretty dumb, didn't get the fuss and very silly.

Kinda wish I didn't watch it to be honest.

I know the Weyland scene definitely slows the pace of the movie down in the beginning and understand why it wasn't in a theatrical release , I just wish it was included in a BluRay version of an extended cut.

Someone on here directed me to the extended cut of this movie, which I have never seen its like 2.5hrs long, which is interesting.

I found this on IMDB

Prometheus extended cut
Ridley Scott is still on the publicity trail and has recently spoken about an extended cut of Prometheus, "This is fundamentally the director’s cut", he confirmed of the cinematic release. "But there will be half an hour of stuff on the menu [of the disc release] because people are so into films - how they’re made, how they’re set up, and the rejections in it. That’s why it’s fascinating. So this will all go on to the menu." We could be looking at an extra 20 minutes on the extended cut where in one of the extra scenes will feature Dr. Shaw fighting an engineer. Via Collider...

In the version I saw it was a bit clumsy how it was revealed that Weyland was alive and on the ship. Noomi Rapace is stumbling around the ship post-operation then she wanders into Weyland's private chambers. Maybe that's when they could have done an exposition dump and flashback to the Ted Talk?

In the version I saw it was a bit clumsy how it was revealed that Weyland was alive and on the ship. Noomi Rapace is stumbling around the ship post-operation then she wanders into Weyland's private chambers. Maybe that's when they could have done an exposition dump and flashback to the Ted Talk?
I know the movie too well, Im too embarrassed to say the number of times I have seen it. Its definitely double figures. :$

Will be interesting to see what they have added and where.

I thought this may be of interest to you, I saw it years ago and found it very interesting as a follow up to the movie.

Longlegs - The hype machine was working overtime on this one. Not wholly underserved, but listening to it probably does more harm than good. The first hour or so does mostly live up to some of that hype, the opening scene in particular, when it leans on being unnerving. The approach changes slightly thereafter though and so did my enthusiasm. 6.5/10

A lot to like still - time will tell if Nic Cage is haunting my dreams - but mostly I wished it crawled under my skin in the way that....

Chime - did. The latest from Kiyoshi Kurosawa, about a culinary teacher whose student remarks upon a sound only he can hear. Kurosawa is maybe singularly brilliant at taking ordinary moments and transforming them into fear-inducing paralysis. It shares a lot with his earlier Cure, a masterpiece, in building tension, and at 45-minutes Chime doesn't waste a scene. Not one for the 'explain it' crowd, but interpretations are there to be had. 9/10

I know the movie too well, Im too embarrassed to say the number of times I have seen it. Its definitely double figures. :$

Will be interesting to see what they have added and where.

I thought this may be of interest to you, I saw it years ago and found it very interesting as a follow up to the movie.

I enjoyed rewatching Covenant. Fassbender is awesome and it all looks amazing. But it's got quite a lot of flaws.

We never find out why the Engineers changed their minds about humans and wanted to kill us all - which is why Elizabeth Shaw wanted to go to their planet.
I don't think she would have put David back together after he had shown he was very untrustworthy.
Why did David kill all the Engineers?
Did all the Engineers on the planet live around that temple?
Why did David hang around on that planet when he had an Engineer's spaceship?

Plus all the usual Alien franchise silliness of supposedly intelligent crew members doing stupid stuff. Like wandering around on a newly found planet without space suits, letting an infected man back onboard without quarantine, shooting up their own lander so it explodes, putting 2000 lives in jeopardy by flying the big spaceship into a storm.

Yeah we watched it a few weeks ago. It's pretty dumb, didn't get the fuss and very silly.

Kinda wish I didn't watch it to be honest.
It’s very much a movie more suited to teenage humour than our current phase in life.

That’s always been Will Ferrell’s comedy though.

Titanic (1997)

It's a masterpiece in so many ways.

It gives you two characters that you care about and repeatedly puts them in extreme jeopardy. They both have convincing character arcs. The casting is perfect and there's real chemistry between Leo and Kate. Neither of them were big stars at the time. There's a villain you can hiss at. The plot structure seamlessly blends the present with past events. The action is spectacular. The score is one of the best ever.

As one critic said, "You don't just watch Titanic, you experience it."

10/10

Titanic (1997)

It's a masterpiece in so many ways.

It gives you two characters that you care about and repeatedly puts them in extreme jeopardy. They both have convincing character arcs. The casting is perfect and there's real chemistry between Leo and Kate. Neither of them were big stars at the time. There's a villain you can hiss at. The plot structure seamlessly blends the present with past events. The action is spectacular. The score is one of the best ever.

As one critic said, "You don't just watch Titanic, you experience it."

10/10
Jack could have lived on for a sequel. :$

I knew it, even when I saw the movie the very first time, all those years ago. :think:

Last edited:
The Hot Rock (1972)

Robert Redford, George Segal, Paul Sand and Ron Leibman are employed by an African nation to steal a valuable diamond from a museum. For various reasons they keep stuffing up and the diamond moves around town. One may say this is thinly written, but it has such a 70s insouciant charm, some clever plotting, highly likeable characters and one hell of a groovy Quincy Jones score. 7/10

Homicide (1991)

Into much, much darker territory here. David Mamet wrote and directed what begins as a police procedural of a cop (Joe Mantegna) investigating a seemingly open and such case of an elderly Jewish shopkeeper murdered in a rough neighborhood. The cop is Jewish himself but has rarely acknowledged and even derides the fact. However he is drawn into a complex web in which the shopkeeper may have been murdered by anti-semites. His actions force him to choose between his loyalties of being either a cop or a Jew. He is a man searching for somewhere to belong.

This was the final film I saw back at the old Rivoli cinema in Camberwell before they multiplexed it. On this revisit it remains as powerful and shattering as ever. 9/10

In a Violent Nature

The premise for this move rules. It's basically a flip on the classic slasher in the woods set up, where it is instead told from the perspective of the killer. It's made to feel like a video game where you are just following this dude walking around the woods for half the movie, and every now and then he comes across some campers/residents etc and brutally kills them.

I think they wanted to make the kills as elaborate as they could to help make up for how slow the rest of it is. One in particular is the best use of practical effects I have seen for ages. The setting itself was beautiful so I honestly found the slow walking parts kind of relaxing.

Definitely scores points for originality 7/10

Longlegs - The hype machine was working overtime on this one. Not wholly underserved, but listening to it probably does more harm than good. The first hour or so does mostly live up to some of that hype, the opening scene in particular, when it leans on being unnerving. The approach changes slightly thereafter though and so did my enthusiasm. 6.5/10

A lot to like still - time will tell if Nic Cage is haunting my dreams - but mostly I wished it crawled under my skin in the way that....

Chime - did. The latest from Kiyoshi Kurosawa, about a culinary teacher whose student remarks upon a sound only he can hear. Kurosawa is maybe singularly brilliant at taking ordinary moments and transforming them into fear-inducing paralysis. It shares a lot with his earlier Cure, a masterpiece, in building tension, and at 45-minutes Chime doesn't waste a scene. Not one for the 'explain it' crowd, but interpretations are there to be had. 9/10
Big Picture listener? I'm keen to check out Chime after hearing Adam Nayman rave about it on there.

Also, my expectations are unhealthily high for Longlegs haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched Deadpool 1 and 2 again ahead of watching Deadpool & Wolverine. 1 is refreshing after a decade of superhero movies being presented quite seriously, it’s funny, but there’s also a decent origin and love story at its heart, as well as an unlikeable villain. 7.5/10.

2 isn’t as good on rewatch, the story is a bit more scattershot, bringing characters in and out, no real villain to cheer against, they ice a major character for no real narrative purpose other than couldn’t think of a better way to motivate Deadpool, which is lazy and a shame after the investment in the first film. It’s still fun but not nearly as refreshing as the first time round. 6.5/10

The Guard (2011)

Brendan Gleeson plays Gerry Boyle - a crass, drug taking, whoring policeman in rural Ireland. Don Cheadle is a straight-laced FBI agent who arrives to investigate a large cocaine shipment. They initially don't hit it off due to Boyle's racist wise cracks but from mutual respect they form an unlikely buddy team. Gleeson carries the movie with his dry humour but there's also some poignant moments with his dying mother. Mark Strong and Liam Cunningham are fun murderous villains who discuss philosophy.

It's directed by John Michael McDonagh who is the brother of Martin McDonagh who directed In Bruge and The Banshees of Inisherin. It's not as good as those two movies but well worth a look.

6/10

It's short enough that you can view it a couple of times to try to work out what's going on. As you say, there's not a wasted scene but they are not all obviously connected, which makes it harder to understand as a whole. But I don't think we are meant to - and that's fine. Is there a malevolent spirit passing between people turning them into knife wielding killers? Have people been brainwashed, and the chimes and flashing lights trigger them? What was the wife's obsession with empty cans?

Love Lies Bleeding on Prime… indie thriller about a lesbian gym owner who falls for a woman passing through Oklahoma on her way to a bodybuilding competition. Kristen Stewart is gym owner Lou who has connections to some shady people. Things go sideways, people die. You can see the Coen Brothers influence, particularly Fargo. Good performances, including from Ed Harris and Dave Franco. Has some weird flourishes but always watchable. 7/10

I'm into Icelandic movies at the moment, so would love some suggestions other than Eurovision

paid $1.99 to Prime for perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen! It was called
The White Van
A newlywed couple's honeymoon in Iceland tragically snaps into a relentless psychotic vengeful hunt for the mysterious and elusive white van. "The White Van" is a contemporary re-imagining of Herman Melville's classic "Moby Dick".

don't even think about this one!!! lol

suggestions on other Icelandic movies, or those filmed there, would be great!

Try these.

Noah (2014). Russell plays the Old Testament character.
Lamb (2021). Icelandic weirdness.
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013).
Prometheus (2012) from the Alien franchise.
Trapped (Ófærð) has three seasons of an Icelandic murder mystery drama. I think it might have been called Entrapped on Netflix.

I'm into Icelandic movies at the moment, so would love some suggestions other than Eurovision

paid $1.99 to Prime for perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen! It was called
The White Van
A newlywed couple's honeymoon in Iceland tragically snaps into a relentless psychotic vengeful hunt for the mysterious and elusive white van. "The White Van" is a contemporary re-imagining of Herman Melville's classic "Moby Dick".

don't even think about this one!!! lol

I actually watched Prometheus (2012) last night, extended version.

The cinematography is breathtaking. Filmed in Iceland.

Here is a few scenes.

Godland, from 2022, is about a Danish priest in the late 19th century who goes to Iceland to oversee a new church there. He's a keen photographer, and in the film they say he's the first to photograph the southeast coast of Iceland. I quite liked the film, and given its rural historical setting and focus on photography, it probably has some of what you're looking for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back