Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Long before zoom technology, I'm guessing a dolly shot with the focus puller doing their best to keep up. Which explains the slight out of focus for a second or so over the transition of the shot.

I'm no great Wayne fan but it is a superb introduction to a character and and a film star (although Wayne had been around for a decade and after flopping in THE BIG TRAIL had done his time in c-grade oaters before Ford came to his rescue).
I was wondering how he made that shot so thanks! The out of focus adds to it imo as it gives the suspension of disbelief the characters would've felt.

I watched Apartment 7A yesterday, the recent prequel to Rosemary's Baby. I liked it, an enjoyable ending and Dianne Wiest delivers a wonderful accent and voice inflections to mirror those of Ruth Gordon in the original, which is the character Dianne is playing.

I watched Apartment 7A yesterday, the recent prequel to Rosemary's Baby. I liked it, an enjoyable ending and Dianne Wiest delivers a wonderful accent and voice inflections to mirror those of Ruth Gordon in the original, which is the character Dianne is playing.
I watched this last night too. Thought it was pretty good. I'm a fan of Julia Garner and I agree Wiest played her character well. As someone who has rolled and broken an ankle before, it was making me cringe seeing that shot over and over! Haha. Pretty good movie though. I enjoyed it.

Deadpool and Wolverine

Finally got to watch it and it was everything i wanted as a marvel nerd.

The cameos (which have all been spoiled at this point anyway) worked really nicely and the Reynolds/Jackman chemistry and performances were great.

If youre a non marvel uber nerd then this is probably gonna do absolutely nothing for you at all.

Deadpool and Wolverine

Finally got to watch it and it was everything i wanted as a marvel nerd.

The cameos (which have all been spoiled at this point anyway) worked really nicely and the Reynolds/Jackman chemistry and performances were great.

If youre a non marvel uber nerd then this is probably gonna do absolutely nothing for you at all.
Good summary, I'm not a Marvel nerd and it was bit too much for me, I didn't mind the first one, tolerated the 2nd, but couldn't get into this one.

Good summary, I'm not a Marvel nerd and it was bit too much for me, I didn't mind the first one, tolerated the 2nd, but couldn't get into this one.
Its basically all just meta references to either the MCU itself or the Marvel Fox universe. Theres a handful of jokes re: Ryan and Hugh but its mostly fan service stuff.

I watched with my wife who is NOT a marvel nerd (but knows i am) i had to explain probably 70% of the gags and references to her.

I actually think the fight coreo was okay and Hugh in particular as Logan/Wolverine was really really good (honestly giving the film far more than it needed or deserved) but if you couldnt get the in universe story then all that would get lost.

Speak No Evil (2024)

A suspense horror thriller. James McAvoy is excellent as his behaviour goes from passive aggressive to creepy then psychotic. The pacing is good and it builds into a satisfactory climax. It can be frustrating because the plot relies on the American couple (Scoot McNairy and Mackenzie Davis) making stupid decisions.

6/10

The Shawshank Redemption

No, I hadn’t seen it before. I watched it last night as part of my Iconic Films project and…. I don’t get the hype 🙊

I mean it’s a good movie, extremely well cast and there’s some good moments in it. It just felt long to me and some of the narration was a bit saccharine.

I was expecting it to make me feel more.

The Shawshank Redemption

No, I hadn’t seen it before. I watched it last night as part of my Iconic Films project and…. I don’t get the hype 🙊

I mean it’s a good movie, extremely well cast and there’s some good moments in it. It just felt long to me and some of the narration was a bit saccharine.

I was expecting it to make me feel more.

It's a good movie, but I've never been entirely convinced of it being a great one, let alone one of, if not the greatest movie of all time.

Everything is very highly competently done, but none of it really sparks, as it's all very agreeable (though I agree its sentimentality can be a bit much, and rings a bit false with the brutality of the prison that's also shown - Schindler's List has a similar problem, though is a much better film, and it probably speaks to where the culture was at in the 90s that they're two of the most popular films of the era).

People talk about how much Forrest Gump was an undeserving Oscar winner and there was such a clear better film nominated against it are right. It's just that the film is Pulp Fiction (to be fair, I would also take The Shawshank Redemption over Forrest Gump, which is not very good. Ed Wood, Three Colours: Red, Chungking Express, Vive L'amour and Cold Water above all of them though).

I quite liked Gump and Shawshank but incredible to think back and be astonished how Pulp did not win best picture or QT best director. That was a strong year (Ed Wood was great) all three could have won it other years. Especially when you consider some of the shockers that have won it. Out of Africa, Driving Miss Daisy, Green Book to name more obvious ones

I quite liked Gump and Shawshank but incredible to think back and be astonished how Pulp did not win best picture or QT best director. That was a strong year (Ed Wood was great) all three could have won it other years. Especially when you consider some of the shockers that have won it. Out of Africa, Driving Miss Daisy, Green Book to name more obvious ones
I couldn’t stand Forrest Gump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back