Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t mind some of Tom Hanks’ stuff. Not one of my favourite actors by any stretch though.

The Burbs, Turner and Hooch, and Big were all not bad for the late 80’s/nostalgic purposes.

Road to Perdition and The Green Mile are a couple that I’ve rewatched a couple of times and enjoyed, and Forrest Gump was decent enough also.

Anyway.

Last movie was Batman Begins: 2005

Still holds up nearly 20 years on, and is the start of a great trilogy imo. A broody and dark origin story which I think Bale absolutely nails, supported by a few low level no-name celebs like Freeman, Oldman, Caine, Neeson
Holmes and Cillian, with a cameo from Joffrey.

I’m still a Keaton as Batman fanboi, but Bale is a close second.

Still holds up nearly 20 years on, and is the start of a great trilogy imo. A broody and dark origin story which I think Bale absolutely nails, supported by a few low level no-name celebs like Freeman, Oldman, Caine, Neeson

The best 🥰

I don’t mind some of Tom Hanks’ stuff. Not one of my favourite actors by any stretch though.

The Burbs, Turner and Hooch, and Big were all not bad for the late 80’s/nostalgic purposes.

Road to Perdition and The Green Mile are a couple that I’ve rewatched a couple of times and enjoyed, and Forrest Gump was decent enough also.

Anyway.

Liam Neeson is so suave, even as an unfeeling/ruthless villian hell bent on killing millions of innocent people of Gotham, he has a grace and quiet dignity and charisma that makes one very sympathetic.

I am not gay but he does have strong attractive and appealing vibes to whatever character be plays on screen.

Seems strange you call the BB supporting cast lower level no names, Neeson, Freeman and Oldman have always been 3 of my favourites/most iconic actors over the years, absolute heavy hitters the trio of them.

I am sorry but I never really liked Maggie Gyllenhall in this movie and it's sequel.

She was the weak link for sure.

Seems strange you call the BB supporting cast lower level no names, Neeson, Freeman and Oldman have always been 3 of my favourites/most iconic actors over the years, absolute heavy hitters the trio of them.
Satire, my friend. Sarcasm at its finest. They’re all incredible.

Should’ve added a :p or ;)

I am sorry but I never really liked Maggie Gyllenhall in this movie and it's sequel.

She was the weak link for sure
Nolan doesn't have the best reputation for writing female characters, which is pretty evident with this one.

I'm with you guys on Tom Hanks. Too many wholesome dad vibes. Don't mind young Hanks in a Meg Ryan rom-com though 🥰

Liam Neeson is so suave, even as an unfeeling/ruthless villian hell bent on killing millions of innocent people of Gotham, he has a grace and quiet dignity and charisma that makes one very sympathetic.

I am not gay but he does have strong attractive and appealing vibes to whatever character be plays on screen.

She was the weak link for sure.
It was Katie Holmes in BB wasn’t it?

The Shawshank Redemption

No, I hadn’t seen it before. I watched it last night as part of my Iconic Films project and…. I don’t get the hype 🙊

I mean it’s a good movie, extremely well cast and there’s some good moments in it. It just felt long to me and some of the narration was a bit saccharine.

I was expecting it to make me feel more.
I felt exactly the same. To be considered the best film of all time etc and it seemed to fall short of that for me.

The Cranes Are Flying (1957) - a young couple in 1941 Moscow fall in love but everything is upended when Germany invades the USSR and he gets drafted to the frontline to fight. Considered one of the classics of Soviet cinema, it was made just a few years after Stalin’s death, as Khrushchev gave more artistic freedom to film makers. It’s a soaring film, with some of the most astonishing cinematography you’ve ever seen, even on scenes that in most films would be an afterthought. It’s an extremely moving telling of the brutal eastern front, showing both the sludge of the frontlines and the toll taken on those staying at home in Moscow. Great film.

Duck Soup (1933) - with my dad visiting town, I saw a film that he showed me when I was a wee lad and helped get me into cinema was showing, so we went and caught it on the big screen. Absolutely delightful Marx Brothers classic, as these agents of chaos who totally disrupt anything approaching a coherent narrative to this film. None of it makes sense (why does Margaret Dumont insist on Rufus T Firefly being leader?) and it’s all so stupid (why do Harpo and Chico, as spies, take to running a peanut stand?) and just an absolute delight. There were a few kids at the screening who I could hear just having an absolute ball, which was delightful.

I was expecting to be run off this website but looks like we're all in furious agreement
Well I wouldnt say furious agreement - I just accept when people have different opinions

It could be an age thing - it could be the moment in time I watched it but its in my top 5. Now maybe thats whimsical memories but I stand by it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was expecting to be run off this website but looks like we're all in furious agreement

My all time favourite movie is Rear Window (Hitchcock 1954)

Have you ever watched it ? It not I highly recommend you do, it's the most remarkable piece of cinema ever made, on a 10 K budget and with two of the most iconic and memorable leading actor's in history (Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly)

Seen it over 50 times, never gets old.

It's just amazing and beautiful movie making and story telling in its purest form.

I am a Gen Xer born in a year and decade where many legendary and iconic movies were made (1980) but since my late 20s, started to become a fan of Hitchcock and other vintage/classic eta films.

Rear Window however is as close to as flawless a movie I have seen (and I have see a helluva lot)

It has everything, drama, suspense, tension, romance (off screen implied) horror

You can watch it with the kids (although until they get older may be bored with it)

Tokyo Twilight.

A beautifully bleak story of perservence, love, abandonment and the complexity of family life.

The story centres on the devastating loss of a parent and the influence that has on a father and his remaining children who are left to pick up the pieces and go on living.

Beautifully shot, gently paced and despite the bleak subject matter, told with a quiet dignity.

Brilliant.

Tokyo Twilight.

A beautifully bleak story of perservence, love, abandonment and the complexity of family life.

The story centres on the devastating loss of a parent and the influence that has on a father and his remaining children who are left to pick up the pieces and go on living.

Beautifully shot, gently paced and despite the bleak subject matter, told with a quiet dignity.

Brilliant.
Now this sounds like my kinda movie. Is it on streaming?

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back