Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I watch Dirty Dancing and Grease min once a year.

My GFs fave movies.

They're actually not bad

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Both were regular rotations when I was little (if my older sister didn't have Dirty Dancing on vhs rotation - it was on FTA regularly enough). Ditto with Grease - used to watch it a lot on a Friday or Saturday night (usually on FTA either at the same time as Hey Hey it's Saturday or on straight after when Channel 9 had the rights to it).

I also hadn't seen Grease (in full) for donkey's years until I purchased the 40th anniversary 4K in March last year. I think with both, having watched them frequently when growing up (not as often as Superman, Rambo, Robocop, Terminator 1/2, BTTF Trilogy etc) they were burned into my memory thus I could afford to go many years without watching them. And in the case of Grease I get the biggest nostalgic kick from it as it takes me back to those Saturday night's watching it at my grandmother's house - very happy times :). Plus the movie still kicks arse and it's just a really good time.

There are still a few "gems" that I haven't watched in years that I would if/when I think of them. For example, The Goonies is yet another film that I did watch when I was little.... hadn't seen it in full (again lol) for 15-20 years. But watched it recently. I don't have EVERY movie on repeat over and over and over and over :p

9th of Sep- Chunking Express , watched plenty of gun films and definitely my favourite WKW film and an incredible cinema experience. The shot selection, colour palette and use of editing all absolute top tier. And then you add in the performances, the soundtrack, the themes and the emotional weight.

Letterboxd- Top Film Reviews+ Best Film Information and ratings.

Finished Immaculate.

It’s a b (maybe c grade) almost grindhouse cheesy horror movie that tries to go the full prestige high concept horror for the last 15 minutes? Just a lot of weird choices.

The very very very final scene (which I think is a one shot) is pretty brutal and horrifying but nothing in the build up to it is worthy of it. Feel for Sweeney a bit because i suspect she though it would be more of that last 4-5 minutes and not the preceding 75-80

Sister Act (1992)

We came across this movie on Disney+ and, not having seen it in many years, thought we'd rewatch it. Whoopi gives a decent performance with a black street style and, though not a great voice, can hold a tune pretty well. But the real strength of this film was the casting. Such a terrific ensemble cast that made this film the success it was back in the day. Harvey Keitel reprises his mobster role, and the ladies who played the nuns brought great spirit and fun to the movie. Maggie Smith as the Mother Superior added a great counterpoint to Whoppee's character in the film. However, the plot is fairly basic and implausible and more like something you'd see in a crappy TV series. But, the plot was only ever a vehicle to present the singing nuns turning pop classics into gospel tunes, and there's no doubt that was great. The film isn't overly religious either, which is odd considering it's about nuns in a catholic convent. 7/10 (Good family fun)

LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND

very slow and overly dramatic at first and kind of hard to work out what was going on
Probably deliberate by the director to convey the confusion and unwillingness to accept reality when events like this occur

Once it got going it was thought provoking but very Hollywood.
Definitely makes you think and not that far fetched from reality

7.2/10

He’s got a Netflix film from 2018 that has Jeffrey Wright, Alexander Skaarsgard, Riley Keough and James Badge Dale that I’ve literally never heard of. Alien Romulus is lined up next but Hold The Dark (apparently that’s what it’s called) is now on the list too
its a ****ing weird one

Watched "woman of the hour" on Netflix. Quite enjoyed it as Anna Kendricks directorial debut. Based on a true story.

It jumped around a little but made sense in the end.

Then watched "The dating game" episode it was based on. Cringey As fk.
also creepy as considering how close she was to being murdered

Finished the slog through the Hobbit/LOTR double trilogy with Return of the King

Again well made and filmed and the actors and action was on point

But gee they were terribly long - especially the last one

I can put them away for 20 years and go again

But for those still watching the prequel tv - I know the purists have all turned away ( snortle) - I can now see the dot points the tv series was reaching for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Threads (1984)

Saw a bit of chat on social media how the BBC broadcast this for its 40th anniversary. It has not been shown often on tv or cinemas.

The opening voiceover says: "In an urban society, everything connects. Each person's needs are fed by the skills of many others. Our lives are woven together in a fabric. But the connections that make society strong also make it vulnerable."

This broadly sums up the whole movie. And after watching it one has to really cherish society and all the work that many generations have put in to give us what we have. We really don't want to **** that up

Basic synopsis of the movie: the nuclear war we all fear - happens. Intertitles spell out in numbers that indicate this is a large scale worldwide thing (US and USSR mainly); but this movie focuses on Sheffield in the UK, where a nuke was dropped not too far away. And whilst the bureaucrats in Sheffield have plans for such an occasion, once those plans stop working - we really have no plan.

There are two main ways I looked at this movie - 1, at the macro level, it shows the sheer scale of what could happen and how it would change the world, and whilst I feel this is indeed possible, so far we haven't been quite this stupid. 2, on the micro level, it depicts trauma and suffering in a pretty harrowing way that would be all too real at different times and places in this world. Who cares about the plight of the world when you are sick in hospital without medicine, anaesthetic and they drop another bomb nearby?

Stylistically, this is a disaster movie with a difference. It is very, very bleak. It has some realistically confronting scenes, interspersed with devastating still shots. Taking the emotion out of it when watching the second half, I figured what I saw was what life/society would have been like (in some respects) a long, long time ago. What seems horrible now was likely normal then. Hence my initial comment about cherishing society.

But what really sets it apart from anything else I've seen is that most disaster movies have some theme of human spirit, courage against adversity and all that sort of thing. Threads has almost none.

Don't know if it is a masterpiece but it is very very good and different to most other things you'll watch, that makes it a five star one for me.

The final scene
is one of the best metaphors I've seen in cinema too. A (r*ped) young woman gives birth to a dead, mutated baby. A reminder that 'we' produced this.

Five stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back