When do we ask the AFL for our priority pick??

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodfellas GIF

End of 1st round compensation for a knackered Tom Doedee was basically our priority pick.

If we love being laughed at, sure we can ask

The AFL will NEVER give us a (worthwhile) priority pick
I'm fine with that.

As long as West Coast don't get one. They just won a flag 5 years ago FFS. They've got no business getting a priority pick when equally inept clubs such as ours haven't even made finals for 6 (soon to be 7) years.

I'm fine with that.

As long as West Coast don't get one. They just won a flag 5 years ago FFS. They've got no business getting a priority pick when equally inept clubs such as ours haven't even made finals for 6 (soon to be 7) years.

Not making the finals isn’t the metric though. Look back at the original system which was based purely on number of games won over set periods. Eagles comfortably qualify, we gave only had one year that was bad enough to be considered. Nothing back to back though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone mentioned to me the other day, since 2018 (very convenient year to start at) West Coast have won 62 games, Adelaide 51 games.

Do we overtake them this year? Not likely.

Even if you take out 2018 and make it a more uniform last 5 years, they still have us covered at 43-39. North at 22 for comparison's sake. GC were at 23 from 5 years when the AFL handed them Matt Rowell/Noah Anderson on a platter.

Our issue however is we had one putrid year and then appeared to be improving on our own, while they (WCE) have slipped to rock bottom and look settled there.

Maybe if we'd had a similar 2021 to 2020 we'd have been able to start the conversation. Though it still would've been shut down I'm sure.

Last edited:
B) that's victim mentality when in reality, we just need to own it and get our shit together

Nope. Thats winning mentality.

In a competition of 18 teams - you need to beg, fight, scratch, claw, throw a tantrum for every possible advantage you can get on your other 17 competitors.

We won't do it. I mean our CEO and Coach can't even publicly agree on where our list is at.

Nope. Thats winning mentality.

In a competition of 18 teams - you need to beg, fight, scratch, claw, throw a tantrum for every possible advantage you can get on your other 17 competitors.

We won't do it. I mean our CEO and Coach can't even publicly agree on where our list is at.
Sydney is always defending its unfair advantage (academy) and it doesn’t seem to do them any harm.

Remove this Banner Ad

When do we ask the AFL for our priority pick??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back