When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy now tex.

Once again, it's more about the concept of booing ex-players in general than the Griffen example. I've done it. Most of us have done it. Often on instinct. This isn't confined to any group of supporters. It's a matter of can it be justified, and when should we move past a player's exit? Is booing a statement about the value we place on loyalty or is it less than that? It's not one size fits all.

On Griffen, I absolutely get the supporters being pissed at the guy. To have your captain walk out in that manner is a tough pill. But with the Dogs outside of the 8 on percentage only and Griffen stinking it up most weeks, it was wondering where the balance lies between anger and acceptance.

Or maybe I'm overanalysing. Boo the traitorous pricks! Boooooo!
I just reckon you chose a shotty example. Don't disagree too much on the rest of the concept.

The Ryan Griffin thing I get.it was to be expected. Fair enough. If it's still happening in three or four years then it will be petty.

But the booing of Callan Ward - for the first time in 4 years since he left? That was more than a bit petty and bordering on the pathetic. They didn't boo him for the first three years after he left. Why boo him now? Even the Scully boos have died off a lot now that time has passed.

An ex player playing back on his home ground for the first time, fans have every right to boo, sing songs and laugh.

Stop trying to make the atmosphere completely sterile

Let them BOOoooooooooo

Easy now tex.

Once again, it's more about the concept of booing ex-players in general than the Griffen example. I've done it. Most of us have done it. Often on instinct. This isn't confined to any group of supporters. It's a matter of can it be justified, and when should we move past a player's exit? Is booing a statement about the value we place on loyalty or is it less than that? It's not one size fits all.

On Griffen, I absolutely get the supporters being pissed at the guy. To have your captain walk out in that manner is a tough pill. But with the Dogs outside of the 8 on percentage only and Griffen stinking it up most weeks, it was wondering where the balance lies between anger and acceptance.

Or maybe I'm overanalysing. Boo the traitorous pricks! Boooooo!

I'll still boo Griffen as the traitorous swine that he is, even if we win the next 10 flags and I'm sitting on a pile of money the size of a very large thing while spending quality time with a raft of supermodels...

You know, like everyone else on here spends their time........

I'll still boo Griffen as the traitorous swine that he is, even if we win the next 10 flags and I'm sitting on a pile of money the size of a very large thing while spending quality time with a raft of supermodels...

You know, like everyone else on here spends their time........

Why not boo Peter Gordon and co for forcing him out then forcing the coach out.

I understand that the circumstances in which Griffen left the club have left a sour taste - captain of the club who phones them up whilst away on a hunting trip to inform them of his decision to leave. Something of a "back door" exit which fans never take kindly to.

You answered your own question.

If it were the Captain of my club...the booing would never become petty....or stop.
He's probably very lucky it's just booing to be honest.

Could be worse in European soccer they would chant a song all game about the player. It's just a little boo, nothing sinister. Shows a healthy amount of passion for your club.

He left after signing a 4 year contract with the first 2 year front ended I don't begrudge him that. He then lied and said he wanted out because of the supplement program why didn't he leave the year before? Oh because he was getting good cash still. Then he said he wants to be with his wife's family in Brisbane but... "hey wait a minute Port are offering a good deal I'll go there." And because of his decision to go to Port we got a deal under what his value was.

All that = I can boo whoever the **** i want bro. :)
So how do you feel about BJ? Do you call him a money grabbing sook also?

Let me first say that I'm not intending to pick on Dogs fans, it's just an example, of which there are many, that raises more of a general question on the booing of ex-players.

It struck me watching the Dogs take on the Giants over the weekend that the incessant booing of Ryan Griffen's every touch, whilst somewhat expected, at the same time seemed a bit..unnecessary.

I understand that the circumstances in which Griffen left the club have left a sour taste - captain of the club who phones them up whilst away on a hunting trip to inform them of his decision to leave. Something of a "back door" exit which fans never take kindly to.

But if we simplify his crime, he was no longer enjoying his job, so he changed jobs. He decided to move to the same club as another ex-Dog in Callan Ward who seems to have all but entirely escaped the same kind of scrutiny. Again acknowledging the differing circumstances, but are they that different?

In the interviews I've seen with Griffen, he seems like a decent enough bloke. Perhaps not as forthright as he could've been in the end, but does the extent of his crime deserve an entire four quarters of booing? He's given the club and its fans a lot of years of enjoyment and extracted the most out of his ability in that time. Surely the first two or three boos would've gotten the message across.

I understand it's all part of the theatre. I further understand the emotion can take hold. If Geelong were playing at the G this year, I can't promise I wouldn't boo Mitch Clark til my throat was hoarse. Circumstances do matter. But on reflection, these guys are pawns who can be disposed of as quickly as they were drafted. Do they really deserve it? It can't be a great feeling to run around and have tens of thousands of people from the club that has formed such a big part of your life express in no uncertain terms their ill-will towards you.

So my question is, when does the booing of ex-players become petty?

About 5 minutes after it starts....

Griffen leaving the Dogs was a great result for the club. He forced the club to make the hard decision on a woeful coach. He bought a top teir tall forward to the club to develop and ensured that Bob Murphy became club captain. His actions led to the dogs turning it all around and honestly why was he appointed captain in the 1st place. Was never captain material.

Bulldog fans should be cheering him for his actions turned the club around.

Griffen captain and McCartney as coach the dogs wouldn't be 5-4 and would still be on the way down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd booing has died down when Carlton play at Subi, still little patches but much quieter than it was in 2008 onwards. Not bothered if it's petty or not, if you've injured or decked an Eagles player in recent seasons you're getting booed. If you're a ******, you're getting booed. Simple as that.

I rekon the booing of Judd lessened when we beat Carlton in that final and then took that nice sharp descent down the ladder, poor guy's already putting up with enough as it is, lol

After careful analysis I have come to the conclusion that people boo because they can. What I have not been able to establish despite the same careful analysis is why it is that some people worry about it.

I can understand Essendon supporters booing Ryder. He broke ranks, under contract, and left them in a worse position. He had his reasons, but yes, it is understandable.

I have never booed Burgoyne. He needed the fresh start and we were compensated well for him which he was pretty keen on if all reports are true.

Chaplin deserves everything he gets.

It becomes petty when the player did everything they could to stay, tried their heart out when they played for their old club. If they leave for more money, sure it's fine, but other than that...

I'm not the booing type, but Griffen absolutely qualifies as being boo-worthy by Dogs supporters. If the player wanted to stay, it would be ridiculous to boo them. Jonathan Simpkin left Geelong because he was delisted, went to Geelong's biggest enemy (Hawthorn) and did the VFL/AFL premiership double in his first year, racking up BOG in the VFL GF against the Cats for good measure. But it would be absurd to boo him, because we got rid of him. I was happy for him when he had success at the Hawks and I always thought he'd make a mark as an AFL player.

It's funny to try to categorise Ablett in this discussion. He received an offer that was too good to refuse, but so did Franklin, Boyd and Scully. Geelong won a premiership since he left (he didn't play for Gold Coast at Kardinia Park prior to the 2011 premiership, but I'm quite confident he would have received a mixed reception if he had), which heals any bitterness, but so has Hawthorn, post-Buddy. He gave impeccable service to Geelong, but so did Buddy to Hawthorn.

Almost as strange for me is in US sports where players have been consistently booed for totally justified reasons for close to a decade and then, for some reason, one day his former home fans decide to give him a standing ovation (Roger Clemens in Boston; Vince Carter in Toronto).

I would of thought Griffen is the poster boy for why players should get booed. He will cop it till he retires.

But I'd be shocked if our fans booed someone like Cooney.

He plays for Essendon, You would need to ask a Saints fan bro. :)
You don't have a view on Goddard's decision to leave for Essendon for more money, and then cry in an after-game interview? Wouldn't that fit your own definition of money-grabbing sook?

Basically pal I think you're a simpleton. I can't be stuffed going on with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back