When Myers has the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to clarify with some facts instead of reading your inaccurate crap.

Myers is starting his 4th season with the club and I look forward to many more succesful years out of him.:)

When were the others?

I think playing 22 AFL games and signed for another 2 years is a fairly successful three years for a 21 year old. What had you done by then or are you still at school???

Talent evaluation is such a personal thing and varies so much. I might go a bit OT here so I apologise.

Some fans simply trust that the club have made the right decision, while others may assume they have already stuffed up. Its always hillarious reading the post draft threads of each teams draft ratings, when in 99% of the time they have not actually seen the player in a single game. How strange is that, people make their judgements without any first hand knowledge.

It is still tough to assess a player once you see them play. I guess if everyone had this ability then being a recruiter would not be the occupation of just a select band of exceptionally talented footy people around the country.

At what point should you make an assessment on a player? Should you make the judgement on what you see or should you "show patience" and trust the club has made the right decision.

IMO I prefer reading the opinions that are just based on what they see as this takes away the hype factor. Sometimes you might go a bit early and look silly. Personally I thought Lucas was no good after his first year, mind you I think it was pretty clear after his 3rd year that he was a player. You will get bagged for going early with your opinion and backing what you see because you are "not supporting the club" but at least its your opinion.

These internet message forums are meant for opinion and its so boring and predictable when everyone just blindly supports the club instead stating their opinion.

Hear hear... Well said sir

I think Myers has the potential do be like Watson.

In the next couple of seasons everyone is going to fall in love with him, wonder where he's been all their lives and then advocate for him to be captain.

I'm happy with Myers and i think he will develop into a good player, my only issue and i put it down to experience but Myers sometimes floats his kicks making it easier for the opposition to spoil.

This says to me that he is getting under the ball rather than kicking throw the ball and this is something that will see improvement as Myers gains experience

It's not about people having differing opinions, it's about people who's opinions are no more thought out than "I don't like them, they suck" or "they're a high draft pick, they suck".

If people came up with good reasons to back up their opinions then I'm sure we'll all be happy and can have something to talk about, but those people who just come out of the woodwork after every game and start bashing their favourite whipping board, regardless of every other thing, are sad and pathetic.

I'd be banning people who simply abuse our players for the sake of it, so a lot of you drop-kicks can thank god I'm not a mod.

I'm inclinde to agree with Lamaros!

If i was a Mod the rule i would follow would be if you are going to bag a Bombers player then you should be willing or able to demonstrate what the player is doing wrongly.

I also would like to see those who choose to critize a player to be willing to praise that player when he does play a good game.

If you are going to be negative and cannot back it up with a reason then a red card should be awarded!

Think this discussion is very short-sighted and narrow.

All i read is about the occasional shanked kick and poor decision.

Football doesn't just involve these two facets.

Myers is playing defence - Third Tall - probably be fourth tall when Pears returns.

How good are his defensive attributes.

- man on man marking
- helping other defenders
- reading of the play
- cutting down the angles for leads
- filling space of the opposition forwards
- getting in a fist to the ball

I gave him a pass mark for all these parts of the game.

It's not about people having differing opinions, it's about people who's opinions are no more thought out than "I don't like them, they suck" or "they're a high draft pick, they suck".

If people came up with good reasons to back up their opinions then I'm sure we'll all be happy and can have something to talk about, but those people who just come out of the woodwork after every game and start bashing their favourite whipping board, regardless of every other thing, are sad and pathetic.

I'd be banning people who simply abuse our players for the sake of it, so a lot of you drop-kicks can thank god I'm not a mod.

No one has abused Myers. I think everyone wants to see him develop into a good player, I also explained in the op what I think he needs to improve on so I would say there's a good reason why you're not a mod. People saying things like, well he covered space really well, and his angles were good and he helped out other teamates - that's great but at the end of the day, he's a KPP and if he can get the basics right, that will be of more value to the team.

This thread is evidence of how ****ing myopic most supporters are.

Every opinion on Myers seems to be based on his footskills.

Wake up! He's a key defender, and he's doing a bloody good job of beating his man more often than not.

It seems that people will find any excuse to bag out a player they don't like.

When Slattery's disposal is fine, his man kicked a few goals. When Myers beats his man, his kicking was atrocious.

Myers has had a very good pre-season, and I'm a lot more confident about our tall defenders sans Pears and Hurley than I would have been a month ago.

Open your eyes, and you might see something.

It's not just that, they see him bomb down the wing to a contest (an instruction, plus he has nothing else to go to) no one takes the mark so they go, oh here we go, more crap from Myers.

Then they watch it on telly, hear Commetti say he has to get a right foot, because Commetti has nothing else on him, and they find something to jump on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is so predictable with the ball, as soon as he gets it BOMBS AWAY on his left foot.

What a load of shit. He'd be a much better backman if he did do that. He holds onto the ball too long as he doesn't take the first option and puts himself under pressure ergo turns the ball over.

There is absolutely nothing wrong kicking to a contest, it won Geelong 2 flags. Do we have the marking ability in our team to play that style? That's the question that needs asking.

Sorry to go off topic here, but if he can; I can too. If your post in the 'review' thread was well thought out, then I'll be...I'd be a little more careful of 'big-noting' yourself IMO. People will actually start to come to their senses and realise you're a pretender.

Lol Benny Ben, just resort to outright abusing ppl. You must be intelligent.

Ben's post was exactly the same as my post - I suppose I used more civil language :eek:

And if we are really serious about foot skills we may as well cut 50%
of our list and in fact 50% of AFL players.

So we have a young and inexperienced guy in the side who's so far played 22 games, and although it's widely agreed he's showing improvement in most aspects of his game during this pre season, every man and his dog is getting all over him for a handfull of poor skill errors in Feb and March??

I certainly hope that all those making such harsh calls don't have Slattery, Stanton, Prismall, Dempsey or Colyer in thier 22......:rolleyes:

I know there's a lot of love from people on here for David Myers and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong but I see him as a left-footed Stanton (not saying they are similar in type, before I get flamed). They are the only two players on our list that I pre-emptively put my head in my hands before they've even made the impending clanger. If it was kicking long to a contest then I'd be OK if it was a 50-50 but too often the ball is kicked to the opposition's advantage in a contest, to an unmarked opponent or OOF. To my mind, as professional footballers they need to be better skilled by foot and in speed of decision making and if they're not, it doesn't make them bad people, they just need a new career path.

I know there's a lot of love from people on here for David Myers and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong but I see him as a left-footed Stanton (not saying they are similar in type, before I get flamed). They are the only two players on our list that I pre-emptively put my head in my hands before they've even made the impending clanger. If it was kicking long to a contest then I'd be OK if it was a 50-50 but too often the ball is kicked to the opposition's advantage in a contest, to an unmarked opponent or OOF. To my mind, as professional footballers they need to be better skilled by foot and in speed of decision making and if they're not, it doesn't make them bad people, they just need a new career path.

It's true, they are both far from reliable disposers of the footy at times ....i'd say throw Slattery at the top of that list, and Colyer and Prismall on there too.

The key difference between Myers and Colyer and the rest of that list is that they are far less experienced than the others ....their combined career games totals less than any one player mentioned above, therefore have an excuse (for lack of a better word), for now.

i.e. - they should be aiming to become much better with their disposal in the next 30-40 games (of course sooner if possible), whereas i'm not really sure Stanton, Slattery and Prismall have any good excuse for their disposal being so poor at this stage of their careers.

What a load of shit. He'd be a much better backman if he did do that. He holds onto the ball too long as he doesn't take the first option and puts himself under pressure ergo turns the ball over.

There is absolutely nothing wrong kicking to a contest
, it won Geelong 2 flags. Do we have the marking ability in our team to play that style? That's the question that needs asking.

Thats the thing, he does kick to a contest, but its always to a contest where we are out numbered.

Remove this Banner Ad

When Myers has the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back