Where do you see the Geelong football team in 3 years time?

Where will Geelong be at in 3 years time?

• Rebuilding after a flag.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Rebuilding without having won a flag.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • On the verge of a flag.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Floating around the middle of the ladder.

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My first Grand Final that I attended was the 1980 Grand Final between Richmond and Collingwood.
Richmond absolutely spanked the Pies in what was then probably the biggest Grand Final win in what was then VFL history.

I grew up as a kid in an era where Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond dominated the VFL.
If someone had approached me after that Grand Final and said "I hope that you enjoyed Richmond's win over Collingwood (and I did), because it will be their last Grand Final win for at least 35 years".

I would have suggested that that person was out of their mind. It would have seemed inconceivable to me that the future 35 years would not hold a Premiership for the Tigers.
On the other hand, after 43 years of watching Geelong fail to win a premiership and watching how poorly Geelong played in the 2006 season the same applies. If someone had come up to me and suggested that Geelong would win the Premiership in 2007 I would have thought that they were deluded.

So while I am always hopeful of success for the Cats, I am also well aware that I do not have crystal balls and predicting the future of the Geelong footy club's success is fraught with danger.

But I will continue to purchase a Cats membership and roll up to the game, in the hope that I will in the not too distant future, be at the MCG to personally see Geelong win a fourth Premiership.
After all, prior to the 2007 flag, I was beginning to think that I would never live long enough to see Geelong win a Premiership.
My Uncle was the same prior to 2007, he used to always say in a pleading tone 'I just want to see them win a premiership before I die.'

I'm of the opinion that the list is in quite reasonable shape (after the remodelling undertaken at the end of 2015), the coaching group is capable and, despite the threat of a GWS juggernaut, I don't see the rest of the comp careering away from us over the next three years.

On that basis, given the players might actually choose to put in efforts more comparable to that offered against the Hawks, Weagles and Adelaide sides so far this year, I think we could contend for a flag over the next few seasons.

And the overall health of the list doesn't have me envisaging a major rebuild after that, either.

However, the folly of seeing a great deal of certainty in anyone's prognostications in this thread is underlined by the debacle that is Freo 2016.

Not one supposedly 'good judge' of where footy is at could lay clain to have foreseen that.
Yeah, all predictions are pretty much made to be ridiculed in the coming years but it's still valid right now, and interesting.

My Uncle was the same prior to 2007, he used to always say in a pleading tone 'I just want to see them win a premiership before I die.'

Is that you nephew?

Is there 3 years left in Brian Cook or will there be a hunt on there for a replacement,any names?
Doesn't the GFC tend to prepare it's own people to take over a bit, like Hocking from Balme, Lloyd from Scott etc?;) Wouldn't be surprised if he's replaced with someone from within...When the time comes.

Is there 3 years left in Brian Cook or will there be a hunt on there for a replacement,any names?
Would anyone be surprised if we promoted from within?

Reigning triple premiers. :p
giphy.gif

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

My first Grand Final that I attended was the 1980 Grand Final between Richmond and Collingwood.
Richmond absolutely spanked the Pies in what was then probably the biggest Grand Final win in what was then VFL history.

I grew up as a kid in an era where Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond dominated the VFL.
If someone had approached me after that Grand Final and said "I hope that you enjoyed Richmond's win over Collingwood (and I did), because it will be their last Grand Final win for at least 35 years".

I would have suggested that that person was out of their mind. It would have seemed inconceivable to me that the future 35 years would not hold a Premiership for the Tigers.
On the other hand, after 43 years of watching Geelong fail to win a premiership and watching how poorly Geelong played in the 2006 season the same applies. If someone had come up to me and suggested that Geelong would win the Premiership in 2007 I would have thought that they were deluded.

So while I am always hopeful of success for the Cats, I am also well aware that I do not have crystal balls and predicting the future of the Geelong footy club's success is fraught with danger.

But I will continue to purchase a Cats membership and roll up to the game, in the hope that I will in the not too distant future, be at the MCG to personally see Geelong win a fourth Premiership.
After all, prior to the 2007 flag, I was beginning to think that I would never live long enough to see Geelong win a Premiership.

One of the best posts I've read in a long time :thumbsu:

I think we'll win a flag in the next three years.

In fact, I am confident we'll turn our mini form slump around this week and comfortably dispatch the plucky young Giants - en route to 2016 Premiership glory.

This 2016 side has shown that it can be the best, now it just has to prove it is the best.

Easier said than done, granted. But, belief comes from within and without belief, you've already knocked yourself out of the running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only near-certain (injuries & trades aside) players in the backline will be Henderson, Kolo and Thurlow. Harry and one or both of Bews and Ruggles might be playing but we'll probably need to find a couple of backmen by then, while Guthrie/Lang/Player X may have been moved back permanently. Depending who they find, without Enright, Lonergan or Mackie the backline could be our Achilles' heel.

Other than that, Bartel will be gone, Selwood and Hawkins should be still playing although past their best - but the rest of the list will be mid-20s, in their prime (or closer to it than they are now). Cocky, Lang, Thurlow, Kolo, Gregson, Menzel, Mccarthy will all be experienced 50-100+ gamers. One or two fringe players (Smedts, GHS, Murdoch, Cowan, Vardy etc) will hopefully have established themselves but most will likely be gone.

Of course young players can fail to progress as expected, and even if we are still a strong team the Giants or Bulldogs or whoever shows up might stop us winning any flags, but should still be top 4 quality in 3 years.

Alright we all know I'm not keen on Scott but let's put that to the side for a moment, I'm interested (and I hope others are too) in where we all think the Cats will be in 3 years time? I
In Geelong.

The only near-certain (injuries & trades aside) players in the backline will be Henderson, Kolo and Thurlow. Harry and one or both of Bews and Ruggles might be playing but we'll probably need to find a couple of backmen by then, while Guthrie/Lang/Player X may have been moved back permanently. Depending who they find, without Enright, Lonergan or Mackie the backline could be our Achilles' heel.

Other than that, Bartel will be gone, Selwood and Hawkins should be still playing although past their best - but the rest of the list will be mid-20s, in their prime (or closer to it than they are now). Cocky, Lang, Thurlow, Kolo, Gregson, Menzel, Mccarthy will all be experienced 50-100+ gamers. One or two fringe players (Smedts, GHS, Murdoch, Cowan, Vardy etc) will hopefully have established themselves but most will likely be gone.

Of course young players can fail to progress as expected, and even if we are still a strong team the Giants or Bulldogs or whoever shows up might stop us winning any flags, but should still be top 4 quality in 3 years.

Dangerfield, S. Selwood, Henderson and Smith will be 29, hardly mid-20s.

Looking at the list at the moment, you would expect the following players would still be running around (age in 2019 in brackets)...

- Bews (25), Blicavs (28), Buzza (23), Caddy (27), Cockatoo (22), Cowan (28), Cunico (23), Dangerfield (29), Duncan (28), Gardiner (22), Gregson (23), Guthrie (26), Hawkins (30), Hayball (22), Henderson (29), Horlin-Smith (26), Kersten (26), Kolodashnij (23), Lang (23), Luxford (24), McCarthy (25), Menegola (27), Menzel (27), Motlop (28), Murdoch (27), Ruggles (27), J.Selwood (30), S.Selwood (28), Smedts (26), Smith (29), Stanley (28), Thurlow (24) and Vardy (27).

That's not including the possibility of us retaining any of the other rookies on the list at the moment, or players perpetually on the fringes looking for opportunities elsewhere. Best 22 out of that lot could look something like this:

B: Ruggles Henderson Kolodashnij
HB: Thurlow Gardiner S.Selwood
C: Motlop J.Selwood Duncan
HF: McCarthy Stanley Gregson
F: Menzel Hawkins Kersten
Foll: Smith Dangerfield Guthrie
Int: Lang Caddy Cockatoo Murdoch
Emerg: Vardy Menegola Hayball

Biggest issue with our side in 3 years will be lack of depth in defence, but that is to be expected since I consider Enright, Mackie, Lonergan and Taylor will all have moved on by then. We still have an issue with the 2nd tall forward too, especially if Buzza doesn't come on.

Dangerfield, S. Selwood, Henderson and Smith will be 29, hardly mid-20s.
yep, i meant the younger group there, should have been clearer

most of the current team will still be in, or have reached, their prime (25-29 or 24-30 or whatever elusive "an AFL player's best playing years" window you want to use)

a few (cocky, gregson) quite a bit younger and a few (selwood, hawkins, the players you mentioned) closer to the end of their careers

Amen to that I really hope we can have more success. But the 3 Geelong has won have been amazing. Like you say for so long 1 flag seemed an impossible dream.
The club is in a great space to continue to strive for that ultimate success again.

The work done to clear debt and develop the stadium has helped set the club up well into the future.

I'm happy to adhere to the current club strategy of greatness
I think we'll be at the pointy end with the current sub 30 year old still around , the young group in the 60 - 80 game sweet spot and a bunch of capable young ones adding positively to the mix
And long may we stay at that level

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you see the Geelong football team in 3 years time?

Back