Where do you see the Geelong football team in 3 years time?

Where will Geelong be at in 3 years time?

• Rebuilding after a flag.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Rebuilding without having won a flag.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • On the verge of a flag.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Floating around the middle of the ladder.

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At KP, but hopefully less at Etihad. Can not believe our run of games at the Dome. Hopefully the completion of our facility can lead to minimal HOME games away from our home.
All I know is from my experiences as a supporter for 53 years now, there is ALWAYS something to look forward to.
I can barely remember us being wooden spooners.
The next 3 years are difficult to contemplate when we don't know which Geelong we'll see this week.

Kolodjashnij Gardner Kolodjashnij
Thurlow Henderson Guthrie
Blicavs Cockatoo Duncan
Menzel Stanley Motlop
McCarthy Hawkins Selwood
Smith Dangerfield Caddy
Kersten Lang Menegola Selwood

GHS knocking down the door.

This group should be right there when the whips are cracking, just hope the fires still in the belly after dominating the previous 3 years..

Kolodjashnij Gardner Kolodjashnij
Thurlow Henderson Guthrie
Blicavs Cockatoo Duncan
Menzel Stanley Motlop
McCarthy Hawkins Selwood
Smith Dangerfield Caddy
Kersten Lang Menegola Selwood

GHS knocking down the door.

This group should be right there when the whips are cracking, just hope the fires still in the belly after dominating the previous 3 years..
Hmmm. No Taylor. Personally I think he has 3 more years left in him. Started later.

The hard part of these forward projecting teams is that you can't put in names that haven't been drafted yet when it's quite feasible that someone we draft this year will be best 22 in 3 years time.

GHS... If he's still periphery in 3 years time, he's not at Geelong. Trade or delist, but he's not here.

8065131-smiling-carer-pushing-an-old-man-in-a-wheelchair.jpg

What happened to Enright's left leg?!?

2019:

B: _____ Henderson ______
HB: Thurlow ______ Kolodjashnij
C: Duncan Dangerfield Guthrie
HF: Menzel Stanley Motlop
F: ______ Hawkins ______
R: Smith Blicavs J Selwood

Likely to make it: Caddy, Lang, Gregson, Cockatoo, Kersten

Uncertain: Horlin-Smith, Bews, Ruggles, Smedts, Menagola, Murdoch, Hayball, Gardner

Body dependent: S Selwood, Vardy, McCarthy

Unlikely to make it: Clark, Cowan, Luxford, Buzza, Cunico

Gone: Enright, Lonergan, Mackie, Taylor, Bartel

(haven't bothered with rookies - too uncertain)

Expect to see defence as a recruiting focus this year and next. Midfield is still pretty thin below the top 4-5. Probably a quiet draft year this year hoping to unearth a few nuggets with prudent picks and then back in the free agency/trade game in October 2017.

Can't see any reason why a rebuild is on the cards.

Alright we all know I'm not keen on Scott but let's put that to the side for a moment, I'm interested (and I hope others are too) in where we all think the Cats will be in 3 years time? I personally think we'll be flagless from 2016/17/18 and on the verge of a big long rebuild with lots of pain ahead (just thought I'd brighten up everyone's day) but what do you all think and why? I'll put in a poll to add a bit of interest.

I'm looking at how Brendon Bolton has got the absolute most out of the Carlton list. I'm not over-rating Carlton either. They are now a good middle of the road/lower side.

If Scott is as bad as you say he is, he will be gone after this season. We will finish outside the 8. Right?

So in another 2 years after that, we will be so bad we are looking to re-build. Which means we have got ourselves another crap coach after Scott goes. Not a Bolton.

We might as well hang on to Scott then. All hope is gone. :D

Hmmm. No Taylor. Personally I think he has 3 more years left in him. Started later.

The hard part of these forward projecting teams is that you can't put in names that haven't been drafted yet when it's quite feasible that someone we draft this year will be best 22 in 3 years time.

GHS... If he's still periphery in 3 years time, he's not at Geelong. Trade or delist, but he's not here.
Harry struggling a bit right now IMO.

Not sure we'll get too many draftees ready to go in 3 years given what we've traded out.

Not sure anyone can say we are rebuilding with the majority of this side still together in 2019..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm looking at how Brendon Bolton has got the absolute most out of the Carlton list. I'm not over-rating Carlton either. They are now a good middle of the road/lower side.

If Scott is as bad as you say he is, he will be gone after this season. We will finish outside the 8. Right?

So in another 2 years after that, we will be so bad we are looking to re-build. Which means we have got ourselves another crap coach after Scott goes. Not a Bolton.

We might as well hang on to Scott then. All hope is gone. :D
Well even if we make finals, 5-8 is what I was expecting pre-season, and we don't win a final surely he'll be fighting to keep his job. Anyway we'll lose nearly our entire backline in 3 years time and Hawkins and Selwoods output will be far below what it currently is so that's why I'm predicting we'll be rebuilding.

Im just contain my focus to this week and this year at the most.

The possibilities in that time frame are massive as it is.

Seriously trying to debate the "what ifs' beyond that IMO are incalculable

Have fun.

GO Catters

So long as we have a competitive team and a secure well run club I'll take what comes.

Except Ratten or Dew replacing CS. Only a footy nuffy would suggest that.:eek:

We will lose multiple players to free agency, we will sign multiple players via free agency.

We will trade players away and bring some in via trade.

Multiple players will be delisted and/or retired, multiple players will be drafted.

The timeframes of the AFL are very short in the current structure. Our list can (and probably will) look very different in 3 years time. I am talking 50% turnover of list in 3 years even for a good, stable club. Looking 3 years out is a fools errand.

Enjoy the here and now, painstakingly building for the future is a mugs game in the AFL these days. You need to stay relevant otherwise you can't recruit good players. I am on the record as believing (and still firmly believe) that building through the draft is an outdated model and you need to shorten your horizon.

So what am I trying to say? Answer: No-one effing knows what we will look like in 3 years.

At KP, but hopefully less at Etihad. Can not believe our run of games at the Dome. Hopefully the completion of our facility can lead to minimal HOME games away from our home.
All I know is from my experiences as a supporter for 53 years now, there is ALWAYS something to look forward to.
I can barely remember us being wooden spooners.
The next 3 years are difficult to contemplate when we don't know which Geelong we'll see this week.

Great post, Dubs.

But we must all own up to the fact that we don't know which Geelong we'll see this quarter, let alone this week.

If you ever want anyone to properly understand what it is to follow the hoops, I think this gem from John Harms sums it up as well as anyone could.

He talks about going to the '95 Qualifying Final at the 'G with his brother. By quarter-time, we had totally destroyed the Scraggers and were leading 10.2 to 1.4.

Harmsy's brother turned to John as the siren went.

Rather than sharing the joy of what they had just witnessed, he soberly and matter-of-factly said to him, 'Of course, we're not home yet.'

You really have to be a Cats fan to understand just how much sense that comment really made. It's the same reason some of us here (me included) could not actually really start to enjoy '07 until about 20 minutes into the third quarter.

It was only then that I convinced myself that not even the most outlandish of performances from our boys after that point could prevent us winning the game.

So for those who think inexplicable fade-outs and patently insipid performances are only a feature of 'the Scott era', it's time to truly get in touch with the history of this footy club.

And when we recognise that, the thought of predicting how the Cats will be tracking next week (let alone next year) comes into focus for exactly what it is.

A riddle, wrapped up in a mystery, encapsulated in a conundrum.

The first full season I really started following football (watching or listening to every game) was 1999.

A perfect set up for the conundrum that is Geelong, winning our first 5 games to take premiership favouritism, only to then lose our next 9 in a row. If I remember correctly the first loss was by 2 points vs Hawthorn and then a few goals to Freo after we had led by over 40 in the second quarter

The first full season I really started following football (watching or listening to every game) was 1999.

A perfect set up for the conundrum that is Geelong, winning our first 5 games to take premiership favouritism, only to then lose our next 9 in a row. If I remember correctly the first loss was by 2 points vs Hawthorn and then a few goals to Freo after we had led by over 40 in the second quarter

Even the 'redemption' from that miserable losing streak was another reminder of what it is to really 'follow' the Cats.

We were nearly four goals down at the last change against the Pies at KP before storming home with five goals to one in the last to win by three points.

Aside from the volume I've reached during the recent GF wins, I've probably never got more wound up than I did hearing that final score on the radio.

Was driving hom from playing footy here in Queensland and nearly ran off the road as my emotions got the better of me.

All in a day's work for an enduring fan of the hoops, of course.

Very difficult to predict! If you look back 3 years many pundits thought Richmond, Essondon, Kangaroos, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS would be the teams to beat and that Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn would be falling down. Some of those predictions are correct , yet most aren't! My Essendon and Richmond supporting friends were predicting their rise and Geelong's fall, yet we are still better than them! Sydney never fall it seems. I think we should aim to win a final this year and at least make a preliminary final in the preceding two years. Our midfield group should be around for the next 4-5 years, the backline is under a transitional stage and our forward line is undergoing some tweaks. I think the cats will be thereabouts in 3 years time, yet Bulldogs and GWS remind me of Geelong and St.Kilda of 2004/2005. I predict the next 5-8 years bulldogs and Giants to win some cups. Hope I'm wrong!

Is there 3 years left in Brian Cook or will there be a hunt on there for a replacement,any names?

I'd suggest Cookie has been grooming Hocking to take over. Still, I'd hope the club would go into the market place in order to get the best candidate.

I'd be sad to see Cookie go but he'd be a great fit for the MCC CEO role now Gough has decided to retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you see the Geelong football team in 3 years time?

Back