Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is very close to Dangerfield level now. He has been amazing since early days, this year could get him into the top 5 of this century.

In other words you couldn't name one midfielder that had a better season or was a better player for the 5 years I mentioned. You had the chance and could've even guessed. I sort of respect that you withdrew though to save embarrassment. You might even be evolving.

I'm more than comfortable with Buddy and Ablett being 1-2 in whichever order a couple of seasons if we move outside of the midfield. In terms of this discussion with Bontempelli he are discussing his yearly status among midfield peers.

Idk why you are even talking about GAJ in a Bont thread. We both agree he’s not in GAJ league. Idk why you are having a tantrum

Idk why you are even talking about GAJ in a Bont thread
Concession received and appreciated. The context was midfielders winning multiple of the big 3 season awards equaling clear "best in the game" status. If you win just 1 of them then people can rightly argue for any of 3 players (as they had a 33% share, no majority). This actually backs your argument about Bont, but because it praises GAJ you are now backtracking.

Concession received and appreciated. The context was midfielders winning multiple of the big 3 season awards equaling clear "best in the game" status. If you win just 1 of them then people can rightly argue for any of 3 players (as they had a 33% share, no majority). This actually backs your argument about Bont, but because it praises GAJ you are now backtracking.

1 is arguable

2 is probable

3 is undisputed

Pretty simple. Idk what the issue is that’s caused you to throw a fit. Maybe cause GAJ has had only 1 undisputed season?

1 is arguable

2 is probable

3 is undisputed

Pretty simple. Idk what the issue is that’s caused you to throw a fit. Maybe cause GAJ has had only 1 undisputed season?
Assuming equal resources:

If three people harvest 1000 apples of equal quality each, is it clear who was the best apple farmer that year? No.

If one person harvests 2000 apples and one harvests 1000, is it clear whose apple farm was the best? Yes.

Welcome to a majority compared to equal share.

According to you, only a 3000 vs 0 apple farm would show a discernible difference.

Note how it is you resorting to emotional, over the top language.

He could be in for a good Finals series too (when it matters most). What if he were to win the AFLCA Gary Ayres Award (Player of the Finals)?

You'd assume that would further elevate him.

Assuming equal resources:

If three people harvest 1000 apples of equal quality each, is it clear who was the best apple farmer that year? No.

If one person harvests 2000 apples and one harvests 1000, is it clear whose apple farm was the best? Yes.

Welcome to a majority compared to equal share.

According to you, only a 3000 vs 0 apple farm would show a discernible difference.

Note how it is you resorting to emotional, over the top language.

No it is not like that because people value the awards themselves differently.

You said the word undisputed. That means everybody has to agree, so GAJ’s only undisputed season was 2009 when he won all 3.

I don’t see what the issue is. That’s common sense.

You said the word undisputed. That means everybody has to agree, so GAJ’s only undisputed season was 2009 when he won all 3.

GAJ was easily the best player in the game during his prime. Anyone that played supercoach knew you wouldn't have to move the captain choice when he played unless he was injured.

GAJ was easily the best player in the game during his prime. Anyone that played supercoach knew you wouldn't have to move the captain choice when he played unless he was injured.

Yeah maybe but it wasn’t undisputed each year from 7-14. Which is why it was worth mentioning.

I don’t think most people would’ve realised he only got the trifecta once. So it’s not as dominating as Mr Meow is trying to make out. Most of GAJs “prime years” were disputed like this year. To me that doesn’t scream domination, but each to their own.

And I’m just going off what the awards say. I didn’t make it up.

He's one of the best players of the last generation IMO
If we are speaking about the 2020 season to now currently, Bont is easily the best player in the comp. He has shown his dominance, strength, clean hands all around the ball especially how he clears the ball so smoothly, turning it into a goal assist. This season Bont had a average season despite having his best game against Collingwood when he showed N Daicos who is boss in the last quarter.

Bont is probably 4-5 votes behind Neale, Cripps and Daicos. This shows he consistent he has been and in my opnion this may be Bont's second last season for the hunt on a Brownlow Medal. If somehow he wins it this season it pays off for all the other Brownlow's he has came 2nd in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A player can be the best player in the season and not win the coaches award (or the brownlow) due to the nature of the voting system.

This is what happens when you consider two BOG games to be worth the same (they aren't always), the 4th/6th best player in a game to be worth the same as the 44th (lol) or for the coaches or umpires to rank the players correctly, which again, they don't always do.

I'll go back to my original sentence in my original post: thankfully we're far more capable of using statistics and looking at common sense discussion at the time to come up with better answers to value a player.

Lol Cripps was ordinary throughout most of 2023 by his standards
Not that it changes the outcome, but to be fair he was wearing a mattress around his ribs for a lot of games.

I'm not going to spend another 10 posts explaining what a consensus means. You had your chance to dispute any of the seasons and nominate the best midfielder of those years anyway. Time to move on.

I think people are missing Bont's consistency over the last three years, which is why he's rated so highly, even if it doesn't come across as well in the games people remember that he's been best on ground or through voting systems or whatever.

Games with fewer than 10 Player Ratings Points since 2022:

(10 ratings points is about the 17th best player in the ground out of 44 players in a typical game):

Bontempelli: 68 games played, 2 games with <10 player ratings points:
Daicos has had 7 in the 2023-4 seasons alone (people saying that Daicos is just as good across these two seasons)
Heeney had 5 of these games in a 6-week spurt from R16 to 21 this year
Cripps has had 10 of those games in the same 3 year spurt

etc. etc.

Hope Bont will win the Charlie.
Been very good for a very long time.
So versatile, can play anywhere, can play tall or short.
None better.

For me the best players have been:

• 2004-2006: Judd
  • 2007-2012: Ablett
  • 2013-2015: Fyfe/Danger
  • 2016-2019: Dusty
  • 2019 - 2021: Neale/Petracca? (No clear stand out)
  • 2021-2024: Bont

I'd have Bontempelli as approaching Judd but not quite at the top of of that list. I think he's as good as anyone outside those 2-3 (Judd, Ablett, Dusty) from the last 20 years.

Yeah, he's not as good as Gary Ablett Jr.

This isn't a slight on the Bont, though. Comfortably top 5 and in the mix with ones like Judd, Dusty, Danger and Buddy for best players to have debuted post 2000.

For biased reasons I am a huge fan of peak Chris Judd but he isn't in the same tier as GAJ.

I'll take Bont over Cripps 9 times out of 10.

Bont's consistency at the elite end is unmatched IMO, of all current players in the competition.

That isn't even designed to be a knock on Cripps. It's just how highly I rate Bontempelli.

Yeah, he's not as good as Gary Ablett Jr.

This isn't a slight on the Bont, though. Comfortably top 5 and in the mix with ones like Judd, Dusty, Danger and Buddy for best players to have debuted post 2000.

For biased reasons I am a huge fan of peak Chris Judd but he isn't in the same tier as GAJ.

My opinion and its only my opinion...Judd's peak was close to if not as good as GAJ. Judd was seriously a star. Absolute gun. A champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back