Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

What are his recent good games on a consistent basis ? if that were the case he'd have more awards than he currently does!

Unlike other "champions" of the game he lacks the killer instinct to 1) inspire his teammates to lift with him and/or 2) single handedly drag his team over the line when others are performing poorly.

His recent good games?

Um, let’s see?

Ah, there was the last final before last night, where he had 30 touches and 2 goals. Let’s start there.

Then there was the final before that, where he had 25 touches and 3 goals. Oh, and that was a grand final. Then there was the final before that, where he had 20 touches and 2 goals and a goal assist, which was a preliminary final, then there was the final before that, where he had 29 touches and a goal assist, which was a qualifying final.

Is that consistent enough?

What are his recent good games on a consistent basis ? if that were the case he'd have more awards than he currently does!

Unlike other "champions" of the game he lacks the killer instinct to 1) inspire his teammates to lift with him and/or 2) single handedly drag his team over the line when others are performing poorly.
Rex Hunt would be proud of this fishing.

Rex Hunt would be proud of this fishing.

It's not fishing - look at how many times Ablett jr did it at the Suns
Judd at Carlton (and when the wheels were falling off at the Eagles!).

Dusty carrying Richmond on his back xx times - especially during the 2020 grand final when Richmond were on the verge of losing until he started his engine.

In contrast The Bont goes missing far too often to be considered elite. Certainly vanished when the game was there to be won in the 2021 decider.

His recent good games?

Um, let’s see?

Ah, there was the last final before last night, where he had 30 touches and 2 goals. Let’s start there.

Then there was the final before that, where he had 25 touches and 3 goals. Oh, and that was a grand final. Then there was the final before that, where he had 20 touches and 2 goals and a goal assist, which was a preliminary final, then there was the final before that, where he had 29 touches and a goal assist, which was a qualifying final.

You keep referencing the 2021 Grand Final.

Halfway through the third Bontempelli had the Norm Smith around his neck, as the Dogs held a 19 point lead. He then presided over a team that conceded 100 points to 7. And his main adversary (Petracca) went on to win the Norm Smith. With a premiership on the line Bontempelli didn't give a yelp in the final quarter and a half.

I wouldn't be lauding his 2021 Grand Final performance.

You keep referencing the 2021 Grand Final.

Halfway through the third Bontempelli had the Norm Smith around his neck, as the Dogs held a 19 point lead. He then presided over a team that conceded 100 points to 7. And his main adversary (Petracca) went on to win the Norm Smith. With a premiership on the line Bontempelli didn't give a yelp in the final quarter and a half.

I wouldn't be lauding his 2021 Grand Final performance.

do you really think he could have stopped that avalanche? Think about what you’re asking.

That’s like saying Warner didn’t stand up in the 2022 grand final because of the scoreline. There’s 18 players on the field mate and you just answered your own question by pointing to the scoreline. What is 6.5 per cent of the team going to do in the face of that onslaught?

do you really think he could have stopped that avalanche? Think about what you’re asking.

That’s like saying Warner didn’t stand up in the 2022 grand final because of the scoreline. There’s 18 players on the field mate and you just answered your own question by pointing to the scoreline. What is 6.5 per cent of the team going to do in the face of that onslaught?
I'm pointing out that as captain he presided over the worst quarter and a half in a Grand Final in VFL/AFL history.

He didn't give a yelp when the game was on the line.

About 3 times in this thread you've lauded his performance in that game. I wouldn't be. I doubt he would either.

If you hadn't been using this game as a reference point my name wouldn't appear in this thread.

How can this be the MVP and AA captain cooked it again?

Maybe the popularity award isn’t the best guide. Right Fadge?

His recent good games?

Um, let’s see?

Why are you defending the Bont so passionately?

Geelong people tend to do this when good H&A players stuff up finals series, idk why.

He's certainly not like Mr September Luke Hodge or the GOAT in Dusty Martin.

The Bont goes missing far too often to be discussed in the same caliber of footballers like Hodge, Mitchell, Voss, Aker, Black, Neale, Priddis, Wowoedin.

Careful I got ridiculed for saying that.

But you are 100% right, finals are the real season. Some players go to water more often against harder opposition.

Look at the pile on for the champion. Carries his team in most games and yet gets singled out when many of his teammates had stinkers.one poor game does not undo the countless excellent ones.
It is a bit sad. Dangerfield copped the same on the rare occasions where he wasn't one of the best players on the ground in a final. Usually from spraying it everywhere when our whole team was under the pump, but the couple of quiet halves of finals footy he had against Richmond received an unbelievable amount of attention.

Having said that, it was a poor game from Bontempelli in the time Hawthorn created what was essentially a match winning lead (by 3QT). A League MVP in their prime has to do better. What the Hell was Bevo doing keeping him at CHF though? If I was Bont I'd be throwing him overboard and putting myself in the guts, no matter how poor I had been there early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett wouldn’t do much in this Bulldogs team either. When the entire team drops their heads and plays like crap, your ruck lets the other have a career best game on them for the second time and you turn the ball over a billion times, what can you possibly do.

Why are you defending the Bont so passionately?

Geelong people tend to do this when good H&A players stuff up finals series, idk why.
Bont was very poor. The game was close to done when he finally lifted.

He did have a lot of friends though. It is difficult to carry a bunch of passengers when the opposition are winning their 1v1 battles all game. Bont has to do that too often. English, Treloar, Libba and Richards (after his first 15 minutes) were shocking. Their forwards were terrible. Their defenders offered no resistance. So the story is still a complete team dysfunction rather than Bontempelli costing them the game. The blame lies more with Bevo.

Gary Ablett wouldn’t do much in this Bulldogs team either. When the entire team drops their heads and plays like crap, your ruck lets the other have a career best game on them for the second time and you turn the ball over a billion times, what can you possibly do.

If Bont got 30 and 2 this game like GAJ regularly did at the Suns you’d have a point. But it was obvious he didn’t have a good game and wasn’t solely the teams fault.

I'm a huge fan but he was terrible last night. No urgency in his performance. Just laconic and really never ever looked like doing anything.
Their whole midfield looked like they had the flu or were hungover. It was bizarre.

But yeah, Bont's performance the first 3 quarters was worse than the less-than-amazing finals Dangerfield was criticised for. I'm not sure Selwood or Ablett in their peak were ever poor in a final. "Good, not great" was probably the closest. Selwood had many unbelievable finals when his team was absolutely dire (Hawthorn 2014, Sydney 2016 etc).

Conor Nash was built to tag Bont as well.

So 8 years ago? Poor record

13 Finals games now for The Bont: averages 22.6 possessions and 0.9 goals per game.

That's not a "poor" record as you've assessed it. But there's plenty here that say he is up there with GAJ, Martin, Judd and Dangerfield - I don't think he is (yet) but he's still a very very good player.

Reputations are made in September. Unfortunately.

Exactly yet heaps and heaps of people on those forum get swayed by Home & Away stats and awards. Let's be clear here - Home & Away footy is an important part of the puzzle during an AFL season and it's also the longest part of the season too. But Premierships are won in September - a very short window of time (only 1 month) but that's when it truly matters most. The pressure is higher, the stakes are higher and the expectation from the media and fans/supporters go up. Finals football is a different level to Home & Away football.

When assessing/ranking players, it's important to take into account their Home & Away record AND their record in Finals footy.

Exactly yet heaps and heaps of people on those forum get swayed by Home & Away stats and awards. Let's be clear here - Home & Away footy is an important part of the puzzle during an AFL season and it's also the longest part of the season too. But Premierships are won in September - a very short window of time (only 1 month) but that's when it truly matters most. The pressure is higher, the stakes are higher and the expectation from the media and fans/supporters go up. Finals football is a different level to Home & Away football.

When assessing/ranking players, it's important to take into account their Home & Away record AND their record in Finals footy.

Equally heaps of people get swayed by one game.

If a gun player has four good home and away games then one poor one, people don’t go ‘he’s a shit home and away player.’

Reading the comments here, the same logic however doesn’t seem to apply for players in finals. You can have a handful of excellent finals then play a bad one and it overrides all.

Well those who get swayed either by one game and/or Home & Away - they are delusional.

As I said, when assessing/ranking players it's important to look at both ends of the candle....that is Home & Away footy AND Finals footy.

If a gun player has four good home and away games then one poor one, people don’t go ‘he’s a shit home and away player.’

Reading the comments here, the same logic however doesn’t seem to apply for players in finals. You can have a handful of excellent finals then play a bad one and it overrides all.

Well those who get swayed either by one game and/or Home & Away - they are delusional.

As I said, when assessing/ranking players it's important to look at both ends of the candle....that is Home & Away footy AND Finals footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back