Where is Monfries at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall I like Gus as a player. The two things that does shit me is when he flys for a pack mark when hopelessly out of position, ends up spoiling Lucas, Neagle or Lloyd. Secondly, he takes the space of again either Lucas, Lloyd or Neagle. Needs to be a more unselfish in those two areas.

I would say a fair majority of AFL players do not develop early.

Is it just me or do most supporters have a high expectation of Gus?

Yes he has shown what he is capable of and then he has his games where he does nothing.

But correct me if I am wrong, don't most teams have those sorts of players?

If we had every player on our list playing consistently week in, week out, then you would have to think we would be top 4.

And IMO don't think he is played as a goal scoring forward. He leads up, provides a target up the ground, therefore, taking an opposition player out of the 50 and freeing up space for Lloyd,Neagle an co.

Robert Murphy from the dogs for example, He plays this sort of roll IMO. When he was 22, he kicked 16 goals from 19 games.

Murphy averages 15 possies and 0.9 goals a game, Gus averages 14.4 possies and also 0.9 goals a game. Monfries also averages more tackles per game.

I am very happy with the way Gus is developing, but I am not sure what a lot of our supporters expect from him?

He is doing exactly the job we need IMO, and he is a very important player in our side.

Argument over IMO. Well said.

And Murphy doesn't often (see never) have to shut anyone down.

Gus does a decent job most weeks. His best games are damn good but FP is one of the hardest positions on the field to find consistency, silly to expect that every week. The goal assist stat is a good one. His set shot reliability is another. I get the impression people expect him to be the next Mercuri. He's not, but he's still in our best 22 and will be next season too.

I rate him, always have.

I just think he's one of those players that needs to be in a very good team to consistantly play his best games. We've seen glimpses of what he can do (as have carlton :D) and I think we'll see more of that on a regular basis from maybe 2010 onwards when we (or if for the pessimists ;)) take it to the next level.

IMO, he's a player we should and will hang on to.

It's all good, the Collingwood game is another Friday night blockbuster, therefore Angus "Showtime" Monfries will be a certain performer.

It'd be interesting to see the stats of his Friday night games, games against traditional rivals in front of big crowds etc. against his stats for less hyped games...

It's all good, the Collingwood game is another Friday night blockbuster, therefore Angus "Showtime" Monfries will be a certain performer.

It'd be interesting to see the stats of his Friday night games, games against traditional rivals in front of big crowds etc. against his stats for less hyped games...

Spot on.

His best games are on the big stage.

That is about 66% of the battle won IMO.

He is in for a good month

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another good game against Carlton hardly rids me of the concerns I have over him, in fact one of the problems I have with Monfries is consistency and this highlights that in a way.

Anyway, bumping a thread like this when the player has a good game is selective reasoning. I don't have anything against Monfries but I'd still try to trade him as I think we would get more value out of him that way in the long run. But I understand not many will agree and that's fine as I'm not really interested in debating it.

5 kicks, 5 goals.
Pretty good effort you'd think? :D
NOTE: He scored more than Carlton did in the second half.

Great effort but it does not change the fact he needs to start producing weekly and not every 3rd or 4th game.
He has played 80 plus games. He simply has to play close to that level most weeks if we are to be a serious contender.

No point coming on and pumping him up every 4 weeks after he has had his good game. The challenge for him is to back it up next week with another 2 or 3 goals game.

Performance under pressure on the big stage means so much more than non-performance when the pressure is not there.

It is so much more important for Monfries to produce during games last night than it would be for him to have two or even three good weeks against crap opposition in games that we are expected to dominate.

It means that Angus can be relied on to perform when it matters. The rest just comes with maturity and experience. Inconsistency doesn't bother me (for anyone less than 25) as long as the bag games are against the poor opposition.

Afterall there are a lot of athletes who just don't perform when the heat is on. It is not necessarily something that you can teach a player to do.

not easy to play ultra consistent footy on a HFF, there are days where the footy is kicked over your head or butchered coming in. for us to see gus' real potential i think he needs to get into the midfield, thats where he played his best footy for sturt. how he fits into our midfield i'm not sure, perhaps playing off a flank as a 5th onballer pushing fwd when he can....

His workrate last week against the Dees was pretty damn good. Some terrific gut-busting 60 metre leads.

It seems like he's only been quiet in games we've lost this year. So, mostly good. But if our midfield are poor, he gets poor delivery. At 22, he's been a really solid contributor for about a year now.

The best is yet to come. Like him.

not easy to play ultra consistent footy on a HFF, there are days where the footy is kicked over your head or butchered coming in. for us to see gus' real potential i think he needs to get into the midfield, thats where he played his best footy for sturt. how he fits into our midfield i'm not sure, perhaps playing off a flank as a 5th onballer pushing fwd when he can....

He's far too slow to play in the midfield, even Watty would be faster. He's good for those long leads and can get out of the block decent, but after them he plods along like his tank is on empty.

Add to this his style of marking is disgraceful. He never keeps his feet and lunges so that if he doesn't get the grab he can pleade for the free kick.

If he increases his speed and stamina, improves second/third/fourth efforts and removes his god awful diving from his game, he may yet be a very good player. Until then I will always see him as a player who only lifts when his place in the side is in doubt.

He's far too slow to play in the midfield, even Watty would be faster. He's good for those long leads and can get out of the block decent, but after them he plods along like his tank is on empty.

Add to this his style of marking is disgraceful. He never keeps his feet and lunges so that if he doesn't get the grab he can pleade for the free kick.

If he increases his speed and stamina, improves second/third/fourth efforts and removes his god awful diving from his game, he may yet be a very good player. Until then I will always see him as a player who only lifts when his place in the side is in doubt.

I suppose you can say anything to support your argument. It probably doesn't need to reflect reality.

BUMP.

IMO, Gus has shown a lot more consistancy and has been kicking multiple goals regularly. He has been able to be a lead-up forward and provide a good option between the backline and deep forward. He is also one of the best overhead marks in the competition for his size.

Thoughts?

how many lead up forwards do we need ? gus is a contirubutor here and there but lacks the ground skills and scoreboard output. i thinks that his value would be more at another club ? at the very least have to look at the options we are in desperate need for a dangerous slick reliable crumbing forward.

for mine gus needs to have his most solid pre-season on record and push for a move into the midfield. thats where he played all his junior footy and senior SANFL, IMO could be a damaging inside player with the ability to push forward for a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is Monfries at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back