Where will Essendon finish in 2005?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely they'll slide. I thought they were a poorer team last season than in previous seasons but that flukey run against botton 4 sides (at the time) kept them in the eight.

Once again people will write us off but I would fully expect that we will play some part in September again. I agree with some of the queries about where our improvement may come from. Hird is close to the end, Fletch aint far off & none of the kids have shown Judd qualities just yet. However I still think there's enough talent in the team to trouble most sides. Sure guys like Reynolds, Winderlich & Richards would have to make huge steps up for us to be a genuine flag threat but who outisde this years 8 will improve? Hawthorn Bullies & Richmond were miles away from it & although I'm sure both will improve under their new coaches they've got a long way to go. Adelaide & Collingwood from what I can see don't appear to have much new talent coming through & like Essendon have ageing stars. Freo are "gunna" be this & "gunna" be that but so far have not really acheived anything so how can you say they'll make the 8 with any confidence. North have been super competitive at times & dissapointing at others. I don't think their talent level is that great but their spirit has kept them there abouts & again I would expect them to be in the mix next August. If the young kids continue to improve they could play finals . Carlton were a bit of a surprise to many but as much as I hate them I respect the culture the club has created. Can they improve even more? Kouta is very near the end as is Campo & these are the 2 I rate highest at Carlton. They have got great service from some discards & put together a bit part team that was a lot better than it got credit for however who is the next champion? Fev had a great year, can he keep it up?
The other teams in the 8 are also worth scrutinising. Can the Kids that have elevated the Saints, Cats & Dees keep up under the pressure? Remember how good the "Baby Bombers" of 93 were only to falter in 94.
Of course this time of year its all speculation but I beleive as long as Sheeds is at the helm & we can keep something near our best side together then we'll be competitive.

OB1 said:
Once again people will write us off but I would fully expect that we will play some part in September again. I agree with some of the queries about where our improvement may come from. Hird is close to the end, Fletch aint far off & none of the kids have shown Judd qualities just yet. However I still think there's enough talent in the team to trouble most sides. Sure guys like Reynolds, Winderlich & Richards would have to make huge steps up for us to be a genuine flag threat but who outisde this years 8 will improve? Hawthorn Bullies & Richmond were miles away from it & although I'm sure both will improve under their new coaches they've got a long way to go. Adelaide & Collingwood from what I can see don't appear to have much new talent coming through & like Essendon have ageing stars. Freo are "gunna" be this & "gunna" be that but so far have not really acheived anything so how can you say they'll make the 8 with any confidence. North have been super competitive at times & dissapointing at others. I don't think their talent level is that great but their spirit has kept them there abouts & again I would expect them to be in the mix next August. If the young kids continue to improve they could play finals . Carlton were a bit of a surprise to many but as much as I hate them I respect the culture the club has created. Can they improve even more? Kouta is very near the end as is Campo & these are the 2 I rate highest at Carlton. They have got great service from some discards & put together a bit part team that was a lot better than it got credit for however who is the next champion? Fev had a great year, can he keep it up?
The other teams in the 8 are also worth scrutinising. Can the Kids that have elevated the Saints, Cats & Dees keep up under the pressure? Remember how good the "Baby Bombers" of 93 were only to falter in 94.
Of course this time of year its all speculation but I beleive as long as Sheeds is at the helm & we can keep something near our best side together then we'll be competitive.

Pretty good analysis. However, there's always a team or two in the bottom 8 that suprises. Question is, who would make way for those teams?

They are still one of the top eight teams in the league and as such should finish up in the top eight. There is enough depth there also to carry us throughout the year so they should do it easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

essendon out of the 8.. carlton in...

essendon rely on james hird way too much. one man team. make that one and a half, because matty lloyd is half a man.

between 7-12.

I think next year is a year where the kids would need to have a '93 year for us to trouble the top 6 let alone top 4. I see us scraping into the finlas or just missing out. As long as the kids improve i don't care where we end up as this bomber list will be better in a couple of years and thats when we can start to aim a bit higher.

rick James said:
essendon out of the 8.. carlton in...

essendon rely on james hird way too much. one man team. make that one and a half, because matty lloyd is half a man.

Is this meant to be funny???

Its more appropriate to say that Neitz is half the man Lloyd is...

Essendon are more like a three man side. They still rely too much on Hird, Fletcher and Lloyd.

IMO their midfield is too sluggish to worry the decent sides these days. Dare I say it, their midfield is in the worst three in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where will Essendon finish in 2005?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back