• Round 1 v Adelaide

Votes: 33 71.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
simple question. Would you rather win this weekend or win the round 1 game against Adelaide at Footy Park if you were told we have to win one and lose the other.....

Total Package said:
In 3 years time.. people will be saying 2005 Wizard Cup Premiers..... in 3 years time nobody is going to be saying "2005 Round 1 winners"

I think that says it all.
can you remember who won 3 years ago

Damn! that is a good question, we haven't knocked off Adelaide at AAMI in nine yrs so i'm keen to see us break that hodoo.

But on the other hand I'd love to see us add some more silverware to our trophy cabinet now that we've come this far.

Losing round 1 isn't going to write our season off, and I like the sound of Preseason Premiers!

I think this question was asked to Woosha after the game

His reply was that "he would like to win both"

Personaly the Wiz though because it is a trophy and is also a sort of practice finals game as well

If there was some sort of force that meant we had to choose, it would be Round 1. That could be the difference between a Top 2, Top 4 or even Top 8 spot.

If we beat the Crows, we then have at least five very winnable games to follow.

Still, it will be good to win the Wizard cup (and we will).

Total Package said:
In 3 years time.. people will be saying 2005 Wizard Cup Premiers..... in 3 years time nobody is going to be saying "2005 Round 1 winners"

I think that says it all.

Hahaha oh gee Wizard cup, there's something to hang our hats on.

Winning this week won't mean jack ******** a week after it's happened, let alone 3 years!

Bloody hell I expected better from you TP!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black JuJu said:
Hahaha oh gee Wizard cup, there's something to hang our hats on.

Winning this week won't mean jack ******** a week after it's happened, let alone 3 years!

Bloody hell I expected better from you TP!.
Absolute Crap. Ask Crows supporters if if they have good memories of their Wizard Cup Premiership a few years ago... then ask them if they have fond memories of their Round 1 win that year.

Winning the Wizard Cup would give me as much pleasure as when we beat Brisbane at the Gabba or Collingwood at TD... they are games you remember and look back fondly on... because a Wizard cup GF is NOT the same as just any Wizard Cup match. Its a big crowd and a finals type atmosphere which is something we haven't had in a long long time. Regardless of the fact its a glorified practice match its still a football game that most of the football loving public will be watching. How the hell can that compare with Round 1.

Total Package said:
Absolute Crap. Ask Crows supporters if if they have good memories of their Wizard Cup Premiership a few years ago... then ask them if they have fond memories of their Round 1 win that year.

Winning the Wizard Cup would give me as much pleasure as when we beat Brisbane at the Gabba or Collingwood at TD... they are games you remember and look back fondly on... because a Wizard cup GF is NOT the same as just any Wizard Cup match. Its a big crowd and a finals type atmosphere which is something we haven't had in a long long time. Regardless of the fact its a glorified practice match its still a football game that most of the football loving public will be watching. How the hell can that compare with Round 1.

Because round 1 actually means something and gets something (apart from a warm fuzzy Wizard Cup feeling) towards our ultimate goal of winning a REAL flag. I know good memories are important but I guess I just can't get over the fact it's a praccie. What if it was Port and not the Crows in round 1? I know you don't really rate the Crows so what if it were a victory over a top side rather than the praccie? Is it purely the fact it's the Crows?

If WCE win this weekend, will it be a full on assault on the main board? Are you honestly hanging out that much for this one?

I'll enjoy winning the Wizzer if the lads can get up but really mate you said it yourself, it's just a glorified practice match.

A wizard cup premiership is useful for struggling clubs because it generally attracts a fair whack of memberships to go with the cash prize, but we're not in that situation.

A win in Round 1 against Adelaide is 1/16th of a top 2 spot, that's of greater value.

For us the wizard cup has been about youngsters gaining confidence and pushing for selection, and regulars like Gardiner and Stenglein adapting to new roles- those two things are pretty much mission accomplished no matter what happens next week.

I think the real value of a win will be that it will prove that we can win in Melbourne- that's a handy monkey to have off our backs now.

Total Package said:
In 3 years time.. people will be saying 2005 Wizard Cup Premiers..... in 3 years time nobody is going to be saying "2005 Round 1 winners" I think that says it all.

I agree, but I want the Eagles to win both. The Wizard cup, though not the main course, is still important. A lot of team sports have at least two important competitions, so why not elevate the Wizard Cup to our FA cup ? It's still silverware if we win it. But in this case, a win can also add a lot of confidence for the first round. We know that Carlton is playing good footy, so a win will set us up for a possible good game in Round 1. Success is often built on confidence and that comes only with successive wins, specially when a win is in a Grand Final, even if it is a minor one. This is my prediction. If we win the Wizard Cup I think we'll beat Adelaide, but if we lose, we may also lose our first game.

Total Package said:

Actually winning the Wizzer Cup hardly meant much to me. I'm more interested in winning in the season proper. I was actually glad that you guys won last WE from a selfish POV, as I'm hoping it will take the edge of your round 1 preparations.

Bestbird said:
I think this question was asked to Woosha after the game

His reply was that "he would like to win both"

Personaly the Wiz though because it is a trophy and is also a sort of practice finals game as well
Both games are played away from home, and confidence is what we need on the road so lets win both. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Which Game Would You Rather Win

Back