Which 'New' players will line up for us in round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly Cousins and Coughlan.

Probably also Raines.

Possibly Thomson, Vickery or Hislop.

Thats alot of new starters considering we won what ? 8 out of our last 11? Cousins will be playing off the bench with Cogs maybe, he would have to really show something in the NAB cup though.

Thompson/ Hislop: Depending on how they go in the cup but I'd be suprised especially with Jackson having a gun of preseason and he's one of our fringe 22 players.
Vickery: Hell no...

Love to see Cog's and Raines back in action, and it goes without saying that Cuz will be a major drawcard. I'd be dissapointed if Vickery or any other first year player plays because so far we are injury free (besides Cotch's achillies soreness) and looking to field a full strength team. They will have their chance in time to come. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scratch that .. lets just play the whole reserves team! lol we will have 1 maybe 2 new starters. Thats it, not 3-6 as you are all suggesting. We were one of the better teams in the second half of the season with pretty much same lineup each time.

Thats alot of new starters considering we won what ? 8 out of our last 11? Cousins will be playing off the bench with Cogs maybe, he would have to really show something in the NAB cup though.

Thompson/ Hislop: Depending on how they go in the cup but I'd be suprised especially with Jackson having a gun of preseason and he's one of our fringe 22 players.
Vickery: Hell no...
We won 8 of our last 11, sure. But we still have alot of fringe players who could easily make way for at least coughlan, cousins and raines (those are the only 3 i think will play in case you don't understand the meaning of "possible"). These players include:

Hyde - (played 3 games in the last 11) now gone
Cartledge - (2/11) including r22, now gone
King - (3/11)
Connors - (4/11)
Edwards - (8/11)
Pattison - (8/11)
Cotchin - (11/11) if still injured, there is a spot to fill
Jackson - (7/11) a good preseason does not guarantee a round 1 birth, wait until after the NAB cup.
Polo - (5/11)
Schulz - (8/11)
Hughes - (4/11)
JON - (2/11)
Polak - (3/11)
Tambling - (11/11) if he is still struggling with groin issues, he may not play round 1. Also has been given alot of chances to date.

Although I rate our list highly, I'd never be so deluded as to think that we have 22 untouchables as you seem to think. There are 79 games between those players out of the last 11 games in the season that have gone to "fringe" or currently injured players. Thats an average of 7 spots per game that could be up for grabs. I said there were 3 probable changes. I would say that I am being fairly conservative.

We won 8 of our last 11, sure. But we still have alot of fringe players who could easily make way for at least coughlan, cousins and raines (those are the only 3 i think will play in case you don't understand the meaning of "possible"). These players include:

King - (3/11)
Connors - (4/11)
Edwards - (8/11)
Pattison - (8/11)
Jackson - (7/11) a good preseason does not guarantee a round 1 birth, wait until after the NAB cup.
Polo - (5/11)
Schulz - (8/11)
Hughes - (4/11)
JON - (2/11)
Polak - (3/11)
Tambling - (11/11) if he is still struggling with groin issues, he may not play round 1. Also has been given alot of chances to date.

Although I rate our list highly, I'd never be so deluded as to think that we have 22 untouchables as you seem to think. There are 79 games between those players out of the last 11 games in the season that have gone to "fringe" or currently injured players. Thats an average of 7 spots per game that could be up for grabs. I said there were 3 probable changes. I would say that I am being fairly conservative.

Except you bring players in to replace other players in the same position so you don't leave a hole... Coughlan is a midfielder, Cousins is a midfielder and Raines is a small backmen/midfielder lol. Who would you drop from the midfield? If you want all 3 to come in you would have to drop White, Jackson and probably Mcmahon. I gurantee you that won't happen since Jackson is having a great preseason as TW has mentioned and he also loves Mcmahon cause his ex-dog.

Also I wasn't criticizing you for saying we probably will have a few new starters, I actually said that was possible in a previous post. I was just saying 3-6 new starters won't happen as a couple of people suggested. A smart coach would probably drop from the round 22 side last year.. Jackson, Schulz, Mcmahon, Johnson, Tivendale ( who obviously retired ) and leave Connors in the team. Bring in Cousins, Coughlan ( if he goes well in NAB Cup ) Raines, Rance and one of Hislop or Thompson ( Once again if they go well in NAB ). Well ofcourse that won't happen because It's TW ... but thats my dream for a gun 22. Those changes also deal with any position holes by taking out those selected players.

Except you bring players in to replace other players in the same position so you don't leave a hole... Coughlan is a midfielder, Cousins is a midfielder and Raines is a small backmen/midfielder lol. Who would you drop from the midfield?

9/14 players (54/79 games) I listed were midfielders or small backs. And I totally forgot tivendale so thats actually 10/15 (55/80). I'm probably forgetting a few others. In any case thats an average of 5 midfield spots per game in the last 11 games that were played by fringe players. 3 of those spots go to Coughlan, Raines and Cousins, the other 2 go to Jackson and Tambling IMO. Cotchin will take the place of Raines if fit.

If you want all 3 to come in you would have to drop White, Jackson and probably Mcmahon. I gurantee you that won't happen since Jackson is having a great preseason as TW has mentioned and he also loves Mcmahon cause his ex-dog.

You would actually only have to drop a maximum of one of the guys you mention, and only if cotchin comes up fit. In that case it would be a battle between raines and possibly jackson depending on the nab cup.

Also I wasn't criticizing you for saying we probably will have a few new starters

:confused: Why did you quote me and respond "Thats alot of new starters considering we won what ? 8 out of our last 11?" if you weren't criticizing me for saying we will probably have a few new starters?

I actually said that was possible in a previous post.

Uhh no you didn't. At least not in this thread. You didnt post in this thread before you had a go at me.

I was just saying 3-6 new starters won't happen as a couple of people suggested.

Nobody suggested more than 3 probable starters. Rimmer said 3, Coke Zero 2, St Francis 1, tigertiger 2, the cotch 2, myself 2 definites (injury permitting) and one probable, so 3. I don't know where you are pulling 6 from.

A smart coach would probably drop from the round 22 side last year.. Jackson, Schulz, Mcmahon, Johnson, Tivendale ( who obviously retired ) and leave Connors in the team.

A smart coach wouldn't just dump the experience of Schulz, McMahon, Johnson and Tivendale in one go. The only changes I would make would be Connors, Tivendale and Edwards out. Coughlan, Cousins and Brown in. If cotchin isnt fit, Raines comes in.

King - (3/11)
Connors - (4/11)
Edwards - (8/11)
Pattison - (8/11)
Polo - (5/11)
Schulz - (8/11)
Hughes - (4/11)
JON - (2/11)
Polak - (3/11)

so your saying with this list that players such as white and hughes as well are in the starting 22 gauranteed i mean hughes did miss out on games last year after being dropped....

9/14 players (54/79 games) I listed were midfielders or small backs. And I totally forgot tivendale so thats actually 10/15 (55/80). I'm probably forgetting a few others. In any case thats an average of 5 midfield spots per game in the last 11 games that were played by fringe players. 3 of those spots go to Coughlan, Raines and Cousins, the other 2 go to Jackson and Tambling IMO. Cotchin will take the place of Raines if fit.

Your forgetting all those 'fringe' players didn't play all together at once so theres not instant spots for all these new players. Theres 1 or 2 spots each game and then injury spots up for grabs and they came in each round and took them when needed. Not to mention players you listed such as Tambling, Cotchin, Schulz, Edwards and Pattison are not considered fringe players at the moment because TW gives them games if they are fit and ready to go.

Fringe players are players that are dumped for the next best thing when available and they are just used to fill the spots. At the moment TW considers them the best players for their spot.

Uhh no you didn't. At least not in this thread. You didnt post in this thread before you had a go at me.

Read it again. I did after.

Nobody suggested more than 3 probable starters. Rimmer said 3, Coke Zero 2, St Francis 1, tigertiger 2, the cotch 2, myself 2 definites (injury permitting) and one probable, so 3. I don't know where you are pulling 6 from.

Sante mentioned 6 and also read my previous post I said yes to maybe 1 or 2 new starters but not 3-6 as some people mentioned.

A smart coach wouldn't just dump the experience of Schulz, McMahon, Johnson and Tivendale in one go. The only changes I would make would be Connors, Tivendale and Edwards out. Coughlan, Cousins and Brown in. If cotchin isnt fit, Raines comes in.
Actually a smart coach would dump Mcmahon, Schulz Johnson and Tivendale because they are all hacks and not up to AFL standard.

I guess I gotta expect this type of standard of post from you Rancid but come on you can do better.... I think.

cuz - no brainer.
cogs - also a no brainer if fit and shows a bit in the pre-season (many of you dont know or have forgotten how good this bloke is).
raines - we a desperate for a small backman who can hold his own - may see hislop instead but tw is talking him up as a forward.
hislop, thompson, rance - depending on NAB form. i have been following the team for a long time now and i can tell you the round 1 team may be vastly different from the r22 team of last year going on what we have seen in the past. good form in the pre-season will be rewarded, not good form from last year.

Your forgetting all those 'fringe' players didn't play all together at once so theres not instant spots for all these new players.

No but combined those fringe mids I listed used up 5 spots per game on average (you do understand basic mathematics right :confused:). So, in some games, 8 of those fringe players may have played, others...3. It averaged out to 5. So the conclusion is that 5 of those spots are up for grabs each game on average.

Not to mention players you listed such as Tambling, Cotchin, Schulz, Edwards and Pattison are not considered fringe players at the moment because TW gives them games if they are fit and ready to go.

Schulz, Edwards and Pattison are fringe players. Edwards in particular is the definition of a fringe player. He has been gifted far too many games thus far. I would say that at this stage he is a C grade or lower mid sized player. We effectively just drafted 2 A grade mid sized player (Cousins and the return of Coughlan), 1 B grade mid (Raines) and 2 C grade mids (Hislop and Thomson). I would say that as a result, Edwards will now be competing just for a spot in Coburg's starting midfield, let alone our best 22. Schulz and Pattison I rate, but the fact is they both are yet to find their position. If someone like vickery really shines, Pattison is gone. If Hughes/Rance/Post/Gourdis/Putt steps up, Schulz is gone.

As for Cotchin and Tamlbing, this is a thread about who will play in round 1 of this year...i said that if they are not fit, they will be replaced, otherwise Cotchin at least will certainly be in our best 22. So no, they are not fringe players, although Bling may be running out of chances. If you had've actually read what I said, you would have seen that I already said all this. You had no right to bring them up as an example of what I consider a fringe player.

Read it again. I did after.

Mate you are as bad as a carlton supporter when it comes to not actually responding to what people say:thumbsdown:. I don't give a damn if you said it after my post. All that matters is that at the time you first got involved in this thread you had NOT said it. It just seemed like you were criticising ANY changes until you later qualified your opinion.

Your words: "Also I wasn't criticizing you for saying we probably will have a few new starters, I actually said that was possible in a previous post"...can you see how you are just talking shit??? Given that you had NOT said that in a previous post, any reasonable person would think you were criticising me for saying that we will have a few new starters. Maybe if you had have said otherwise BEFORE I posted it may have some relevance. But you didn't, so you just look like an ignorant fool who thinks our best 22 is that good that its set in stone. In any case it may be in your best interests to be a little bit clearer with what you mean and not have a crack over a point on which you essentially agree.

Sante mentioned 6 and also read my previous post I said yes to maybe 1 or 2 new starters but not 3-6 as some people mentioned.

You really are thick as brick mate. Sante said that after both my post and your criticism... to quote you once again:

"I was just saying 3-6 new starters won't happen as a couple of people suggested."

So let me get this straight, in that original post you decided to criticise me for something NOBODY had even said yet :rolleyes:

Actually a smart coach would dump Mcmahon, Schulz Johnson and Tivendale because they are all hacks and not up to AFL standard.

I don't like Johnson, but he had a solid year last year and is easily in our best 22 on his most recent form alone, forgetting the fact that he is a premiership winner, our former captain, a best and fairest winner and generally well respected. McMahon had a good year last year, he was unfairly given the role of whipping boy before he even arrived at the club and I dont think he will shake it until he stars for us in a finals series. Schulz had his best year last year as a versatile swingman and finished very strongly. This argument is for another thread anyway.

I guess I gotta expect this type of standard of post from you Rancid but come on you can do better.... I think.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? I don't think I've ever replied to anything you've said before. In fact, who the hell are you? Unless you're an alias, you've only been here 2 months. How could you know what to expect from me after only that long, given I've been on here for nearly 3 years? You've missed well over 2 years of my posts which may help you to better understand what to "expect" from me.

so your saying with this list that players such as white and hughes as well are in the starting 22 gauranteed i mean hughes did miss out on games last year after being dropped....
Hughes was on my list of fringe players.

White is as good as locked into our best 22. Has all the attributes required for our gameplan, and then some :thumbsu:

If ball waster Johnson and slow brain Raines play we are in trouble, give me cousins, thomson or hislop, and rance must be ready by now. Last years skip should have done the noble thing and created another spot on the list before the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which 'New' players will line up for us in round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back