Whitten Oval Redevelopment Plans (UPDATE: No AFL Games)

Remove this Banner Ad

No in fact the ground was actually pushed closer to Gordon St to allow more room on the grandstand side, in doing that it meant that there was no longer any space to sit on the widest part of the wing but the overall capacity will remain at 10,500 with more spots to sit/stand in the pockets.

Despite the result, the atmosphere was great tonight and the redevelopment is looking outstanding with only a couple of minor things that bothered me, such as the lack of grass in front of the scoreboard, not sure why they went for plants there. It's so nice not having any ugly temporary lights as well. The surface looked outstanding as well, can't wait for next year when it will all be done.
Wait that brown patch under the scoreboard isn’t going to be grass? I thought it was just not finished yet 😂 surely they keep that as useable grass - apart from that the rest looks great

Wait that brown patch under the scoreboard isn’t going to be grass? I thought it was just not finished yet 😂 surely they keep that as useable grass - apart from that the rest looks great

I'll have to ask but it seemed like that area under the scoreboard was complete. Either way it needs to change, all of our family there tonight were saying the same thing so no doubt the club will be getting some feedback on that. Fortunately that's a relatively easy thing to change.

I'm not sure when the new stand is supposed to be completed. From yesterday's observation it seems quite some time away. The rest of the development is very impressive.View attachment 1885946View attachment 1885947

I was in there the other night and they've started installing glass on the top level. Redevelopment is looking great and the playing surface is like carpet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of which I went to order something online and they were charging $15 for delivery. Went to the Rebel site and it was free, ah well.

The shop has become a bit of a joke.

They want you to support the club, but the prices of everything are ridiculously expensive and how much actually goes back to the club?

I grew up a couple of kicks from WO and my mother is still there with rest of family in surrounding suburbs. They have done a wonderful job with the redevelopment. Should be a good draw card to prospective recruits as they can now tour beyond just Barkers cafe….

Last edited:
That's great, but it'll be a cold day in before I pay $150 for a hoodie whether the club gets the profits or not. Maybe that's just me though.
I always wait for the sales, recently bought a 2022 Wet Weather hoodie for $30 in a sale on the Shop Wesite. Would've been over $100 in 2022.
But yeah it does seem overly expensive, I understand the Guernsey prices as they are actual player made material. However the hoodies and polos are just beyond ridiculous. Waiting for the sales is my go to!

Any idea if they will be selling alcohol at VFL games?

I was in there yesterday morning. There is a sign on the front door with an application for liquor licence so might be attached to that.

Also, Alfa bakery has taken over the cafe. great food and coffee.

The main reception area is really nice and welcoming. Loved the old turnstiles & bench seats that have been converted into bench tables.

I always wait for the sales, recently bought a 2022 Wet Weather hoodie for $30 in a sale on the Shop Wesite. Would've been over $100 in 2022.
But yeah it does seem overly expensive, I understand the Guernsey prices as they are actual player made material. However the hoodies and polos are just beyond ridiculous. Waiting for the sales is my go to!
I know the aflpa contracts require players to do extras outside of playing football, but I never realised the players actually make the material for the guernseys.

Whitten Oval redevelopment: Inside the Bulldogs’ $78m ‘game changer’​

The Western Bulldogs have a new weapon: its $78m redevelopment of Whitten Oval. GLENN McFARLANE gets a sneak peak at the new facilities.
Glenn McFarlane Glenn McFarlane
@MaccaHeraldSun

3 min read
July 24, 2024 - 1:00PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/2GL1D/again?url=.../364329d82a5c27e8e0a99b9b0d2b045e#share-tools
25d7aa60e150d02bf70e9b76885239cd0fbce348.webp

The Bulldogs have given us exclusive access to their $70m new facility at the Whitten Oval which officially opens next week
The $78m redevelopment of the Whitten Oval will prove a “game changer” for the Western Bulldogs men’s and women’s programs, for the red, white and blue fans and the local community, according to the club’s chief executive Ameet Bains.
As the Bulldogs prepare to open the state-of-the-art facilities later this week, bringing the football and administration departments into the one building for the first time in the modern era, Bains said he was confident it would futureproof the club deep into the future.
And he predicted the facilities would become a trade and free agency weapon in attracting new players as well as retaining its current group.
“It’s incredibly exciting,” Bains told the Herald Sun after an exclusive sneak peek of the facilities.
“The players in our men’s and women’s programs are trying to get the best out of themselves, with the support they get from the coaches, the high performance team and the medical team.
“The new facilities will give them every chance to reach their potential.

5f1e1a937a389dd08324007602da7f50156a12f5.jpg

Click or swipe to begin

Western Bulldogs' new facilities​

6dcf27d8b7ae833251418204e7c961c375149bed.jpg

“It’s certainly a game changer for us.
“It will attract and retain players and staff, having these facilities and having everything we need on site.”
The Mission Whitten Oval project, which was funded by the state government, donors and the club, encompasses 14,000 square metres of redeveloped or new facilities.
Among the key elements of the redevelopment include:
● The largest gym and the largest change rooms in the AFL
● The club’s first aquatic facilities which includes a 15-person sauna, 20-person cold pool and 24-person hot pool
● An indoor training field with a PTFE fabric roof, which is 50m x 35m, equates to 1800 total square metres
● A new theatrette with 82 seats complete with a 10-square metre video board
● Dedicated heat chambers and treatment beds
● An increased ground capacity to 10,500m with 920 undercover seats for AFLW, VFL, VFLW and pre-season AFL games, as well as 55m light towers with full broadcast capacity
● A 300-person sit down and 400-person stand-up function centre
● The reopening of the popular but new look public cafe, a revamped museum and a new Bulldogs shop.
Bains said the opening of the redevelopment would bring the club even closer to its fans, as the Bulldogs push towards a 60,000 membership this season.
“This is going to give us a great chance to have our members and our fans back experiencing the club and the venue,” Bains said after a two-year project which started back in March 2022.
“We have over 59,000 members and we will continue to push to get to 60,000. The membership reporting period goes until the end of August, so it allows the clubs time to capture the lead into the AFLW season.
“To break our membership record for a third straight season is a great reflection on our fans and the support they give us.
“The members are signing up in record numbers but they are also coming along to games and supporting the team.
“We were the biggest AFL crowd that the AFL has had at Marvel Stadium in 11 years against the Bombers in round 5, with a tick over 50,000 people.”
Bains said one of the most exciting aspects of the Whitten Oval upgrade was that it brought the football department and the administration into the same building.
“We are so excited about the integration aspect of having our football programs and our administration offices adjacent, which we have never had,” he said.
“Our staff haven’t sat all together in the same space since the club had single digit numbers of staff, so that’s an achievement.
“We like to preach an ideal one-club state where everything is integrated and seamless and these facilities are a big part of that.”
He said the redevelopment had made for some challenging times for all at the football club, but stressed no one would ever use it as an excuse.
But he was confident the opening of the facilities would be hugely beneficial to the AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW teams deep into the future.
“It’s always hard to quantify the impact, and I think from both of our football programs’ perspectives, they wouldn’t want to make any excuses,” he said.
“Culturally I think this is going to make a huge difference for us.”
Bains said the reopening of the cafe was also exciting as it was an important drawcard and lifeblood for fans and for the local western suburbs community.

Attachments

• 1721795737309.gif
    1721795737309.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 60
  • 1721795737374.gif
    1721795737374.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 58
  • 1721795736904.gif
    1721795736904.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 50
  • 1721795737112.gif
    1721795737112.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 44
  • 1721795737551.gif
    1721795737551.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 41
  • 1721795737721.gif
    1721795737721.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 38
  • 1721795737437.gif
    1721795737437.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 35
  • 1721795736975.gif
    1721795736975.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 33
  • 1721795737664.gif
    1721795737664.gif
  • 1721795737495.gif
    1721795737495.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 30
  • 1721795737180.gif
    1721795737180.gif
  • 1721795737248.gif
    1721795737248.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 27
  • 1721795737043.gif
    1721795737043.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 29
  • 1721795736763.gif
    1721795736763.gif
  • 1721795736834.gif
    1721795736834.gif
  • 1721795736685.gif
    1721795736685.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 34
  • 1721795737608.gif
    1721795737608.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 40

Had a chance to go through the facilities a couple of weeks ago and it's unrecognisable from where it was 5 years ago, let alone 30 years ago (I'm told). First class facilities for both men and women that are truly the envy of many. For a comparatively small club compared to the big fish in Victoria, it really is unbelievable.

Lots of credit has to go to all our senior staff and board members over the past 10 years, when we started campaigning for this redevelopment, but Peter Gordon in particular has to be mentioned as he really campaigned hard to the State Government to get this funding and especially to get it all signed off just during COVID. Look at the likes of Richmond who are now calling on their own supporters to help fund their redevelopment.

What a lot of people may not realise is that one of the main reasons we did get significant state funding is that we pushed hard for women's footy, that gradual investment and development that started over 10 years ago has helped the entire club get to where it is today.

I'm biased obviously but I believe that WO is now the best of the surviving suburban grounds, not just for the facilities but the fact that it's still a great ground to watch footy at. Princes Park has become one-sided with all the player facilities at the Royal Parade end which hurts it as a ground for watching footy, but at WO you can spectate from just about anywhere and has great public transport options as well.

The fact that the AFL is now scheduling non Bulldogs games at WO just shows how highly it's valued.

Last edited:
Email received from the club:

Dear Curly5*

We write to you on a momentous day for our Club, as we officially reopen Mission Whitten Oval after its recent redevelopment.

To retain and enhance our spiritual home in its original location is a remarkable achievement. After more than two years of construction, 14,000 square metres have been enhanced with brand new infrastructure.

All of our players have access to the largest gym and changerooms in the AFL, as well as aquatic amenities, a 50m x 35m indoor training field and a dedicated heat chamber, facilities that are second to none in this sport.

Our beloved oval now has a capacity of more than 10,000 and will proudly host W home games in coming weeks on what are sure to be spectacular occasions under lights.

Alfa Bakehouse is already serving a distinctly Footscray flavour in our lobby, while our Bulldogs Shop and Museum will also be open for business within days.

The first major event in our new function space will be ‘Legacy Through Legends’ on Wed 31 July, celebrating our champions with a selection of past and present AFL and AFLW players in attendance. Tickets are available now.

We are laying the foundations for this Club to realise its potential for generations to come. We’re not finished yet, and we will be calling on our members and fans to help us close the funding gap during a dedicated Giving Day in two weeks’ time.

Your support and belief in this Club is always appreciated. We have come so far, powered by the passion and perseverance of the best fanbase in footy. And we want to keep going, to fight on and ensure the best chance of future success.

Thank you for your ongoing investment in our Club, which is never taken for granted. It means the world to us and makes all of this possible.

We look forward to seeing you at the new Mission Whitten Oval in the near future and for many years to come.

Go Dogs!

*may or may not be the name used ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Whitten Oval Redevelopment Plans (UPDATE: No AFL Games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back