Who after Lethal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Danni
Lions of 2001, 2002 and 2003 can say 3 x times how great the last game was when they started the next season.

The bombers 2000 lifted the bar. In 2001 the Lions met the challenge and lifted it higher.

IN 2002, no one matched it.
In 2003, no one matched it.

Essendon lift the bar, someone rises to the challenge.
Lions lift the bar, no one can rise to the challenge.

Better? YES. Greater? Yes.
16 Flags in 100 odd years..........Great!
3 Flags and even a wooden spoon in 7 years? Bloody fantastic!

Like it (or in your case) Lump it.........Essendon 2000 was great. Lions 2001 - present.....GREATER.

What she said.

I especially liked the bit where Danni pointed out what football is all about - skiting rights for twelve months. This occurs after your side wins a flag.

We've just had a longer skiting period.

That is all.

Fact is, these days, we Brisbane supporters say a lot less about our team than others.

Originally posted by skilts
What she said.

I especially liked the bit where Danni pointed out what football is all about - skiting rights for twelve months. This occurs after your side wins a flag.

We've just had a longer skiting period.

That is all.

Fact is, these days, we Brisbane supporters say a lot less about our team than others.

Ahhh Skilts............if it was only that easy!

In 2001 we got the left overs from those that were glad the Bombers lost........not that we won.

In 2002.....Well the papers said it all.........The GF winners weren't on the front page.....but the GF losers were!

In 2003,the GF losers got all the press pre-GF and the post GF press was virtually non-existant as it was considered old news/foregone conlusion.

Now as for the 2004 GF...........If we make that..............then YES stuff the rest of the world and their regrets/the losers/who we played/whatever......We'll finally have apparently earned the bragging rites.

It must be another north of the border thing.........every other team gets bragging rites post GF for 12 months......looks like it will take 4 in a row to give us the same rites..

Originally posted by Dan26
How does winning the 2004 flag make their 2003 side any better? How does winning it in 2004 make their 2002 side any better? You are as good as you in the season you win the flag.

Leigh Matthews said it right: Premierships are a singular achievement. More than one is a club achievement. It's highly doubtful whether any of the last 3 Brisbane teams would get close to the Carlton side of '95 or Essendon of 2000.

What would your comment be on Round 10 2001 then dan.

It was at the gabba but was clear evidence of the Essendon 2000 side being met by a real challenger.

Originally posted by notenoughteams
What would your comment be on Round 10 2001 then dan.

It was at the gabba but was clear evidence of the Essendon 2000 side being met by a real challenger.

Thats the dumbest fcuking comment I have ever heard. About 10+ players were missing from the granny side. You are a tool.

Originally posted by Danni
Ahhh Skilts............if it was only that easy!

In 2001 we got the left overs from those that were glad the Bombers lost........not that we won.

In 2002.....Well the papers said it all.........The GF winners weren't on the front page.....but the GF losers were!

In 2003,the GF losers got all the press pre-GF and the post GF press was virtually non-existant as it was considered old news/foregone conlusion.

Now as for the 2004 GF...........If we make that..............then YES stuff the rest of the world and their regrets/the losers/who we played/whatever......We'll finally have apparently earned the bragging rites.

It must be another north of the border thing.........every other team gets bragging rites post GF for 12 months......looks like it will take 4 in a row to give us the same rites..

Danni.

Maybe you dont truly understand the football supporter. Of course you have the bragging rites and have had them since Sept 2001.

But supporters of other teams are not going to make life easy for you. They are not going to bend over and take it. It is the nature of the beast to find anyway at all to lessen your bragging. And it certainly has nothing to do with what side of any border you live in. Just look at past history and some of the premiers. West Coast - State side, Carlton - cheats, Adelaide - adv. by finals system, Collingwood - soft year etc etc etc. These are all just excuses to lessen the bragging rites of the premiers. Nothing more, nothing less. For as long as you are alive, some people will always refer to 2001, 2002, 2003, ???, ???, as the premiers with the concessions.

As for the media. The victorian based media will never give interstate premierships the exposure that Victorian premierships get. Who cares.

You live in Brisbane??? Look at the media when Queensland lose a SOO game compared to when they win one. After a loss you wouldnt know a game had been played. After a win it is saturation. Nature of the beast.

My point is. Why do you give a toss what others think? Your club has won 3 in a row. Enjoy it with a smile and a wink.

I agree Skipper, at times it becomes hard not to bite.

BUT then I sit back & think well I have seen my side win 3 (4???)in a row, not to many others alive can say the same or will ever be able to say it in the future. That is quite satisfying to say the least.

Originally posted by Bobby Beecroft
I agree Skipper, at times it becomes hard not to bite.

BUT then I sit back & think well I have seen my side win 3 (4???)in a row, not to many others alive can say the same or will ever be able to say it in the future. That is quite satisfying to say the least.

Exactly. I assume with your user name you are an old Fitzroy supporter, and therefore should take great satisfaction from what is happening. I will settle for 1 flag. Im not greedy, one will do. Then I will sit back with that smile and wink.

Who after Lethal

Getting back to the subject of the thread, I think (hope) Lethal will be in Brisbane for some time yet. He has a very high profile at the moment, and fingers in many pies (no pun intended ... honestly).

Here in sunny Queensland, Leigh is a big fish in a very small pond. If this same team was based in Melbourne, he would be a smaller fish in a much larger pond.

I have a feeling that the AFL would do everything to encourage Lethal to remain with the lions for a long while to come. Obviously his arrangement with the lions will develop and he may become more like an EPL mamanger with assistants doing more and more.

And even though the AFL and lions have a spat at the moment but they will see eye to eye later.

On the essendon lions thing. It is really hard to compare the lions today with say melbourne of the 60's.

BUT the easiest comparison is ov essendon2000 and lions200-1-2-3

they did play off in 2001 and for one team it isn't pretty.

like it or not the AFL is a marathon not 400m as such the lions paced themselves beautifully over 3 years whereas you could say the bombers were burned out by 2001 (salary cap not biting till 2002)

One aspect of the lions is how versatile they are.
Apart from the ruckmen, the FB and FF they are all so flexible - could play anywhere someone said a team of ruck rovers.

HOWEVER some of the additions since Lethal arrived have been key. Micheel and Pike for example. Hawthorn had beaten the bears/lions every time in melbourne until Pike arrived

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
Thats the dumbest fcuking comment I have ever heard. About 10+ players were missing from the granny side. You are a tool.

Name them. Hardwicke.... There was that loss to Carlton on Easter thursday night and 8 wins, some big ones. Then Brown ran back with the flight of the ball and took a mark and you could see Essendon were matched. Whoever was in and out, the team was playing not indifferently to the 2000 team when it went up there. Anyway show us the 10+ differences, tool.

I would disagree with the point that Essendon was playing no differently in 2001 than it was in 2000. We were winning games but no where near as easily as we were in 2000. We lost a match to Richmond. It sounds weird but in 2000 I would go to games hoping that other teams would get a good start so I could see a good close game (close being a less than 6 goal win). 2000 was great but as a supporter it was less exciting than other years.

In my opinion the Essendon 2000 season was the best season of football that I have seen (since 85 when I started following football).

Brisbane has not had a dominant season like 2000 but have been able to reproduce their success 3 times (5 after the next 2 cups). I see Brisbane as the greater team over the 00s era.

Greatest season in 00s : Essendon
Greatest team of 00s : Brisbane

By using the logic that Brisbane's 2001 season was so impressive because the beat a great Essendon side, if somehow a team other than Brisbane wins this years flag, will that premiership be greater than North's 99 flag for example?

you dumb ****s

brisbane have longevity now so they are a top side

they are not even worthy of being compared with essendon of 2000.

they lost one game by 11 points. they smashed every single side and their finals series was amazing.

2001 the side was in decline due to injuries to a number of key players.

no one can ever justify any of brisbanes last 3 seasons being more impressive than 2000

no-one

2000 was ruthless football, 9 goal wins were the norm. week after week 10 goal thumpings

n.b without an extra 600k too

Originally posted by electricsix

no one can ever justify any of brisbanes last 3 seasons being more impressive than 2000

no-one

They won 3 grand finals in a row away from home. A feat the no victorian club will ever achieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by electricsix
you dumb ****s

brisbane have longevity now so they are a top side

they are not even worthy of being compared with essendon of 2000.

they lost one game by 11 points. they smashed every single side and their finals series was amazing.

2001 the side was in decline due to injuries to a number of key players.

no-one

2000 was ruthless football, 9 goal wins were the norm. week after week 10 goal thumpings

n.b without an extra 600k too

Some supporters never cease to amaze.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by notenoughteams
Name them. Hardwicke.... There was that loss to Carlton on Easter thursday night and 8 wins, some big ones. Then Brown ran back with the flight of the ball and took a mark and you could see Essendon were matched. Whoever was in and out, the team was playing not indifferently to the 2000 team when it went up there. Anyway show us the 10+ differences, tool.

Hille, Rioli, Jacobs, McGrath, Forster-Knight, Peverill, Robran - I can't find the team lists but I know they all played. Thats 7 players not in the 2000 GF team so far.

Thats at least 32% different. Is that enough for you to realise it was a different team?????????

Hille, Rioli, Jacobs, McGrath, Forster-Knight, Peverill, Robran - I can't find the team lists but I know they all played. Thats 7 players not in the 2000 GF team so far.

Thats at least 32% different. Is that enough for you to realise it was a different team?????????

No wonder we are not talking greatest team ever - those players would be nowhere near level of hawks 88-91 or Lions 01-04 or even Bombers 83-85

Originally posted by mustapha

Greatest season in 00s : Essendon
Greatest team of 00s : Brisbane

Spot on and well put.

The Essendon season of 2000 was one of the most dominant single season performances, yet they couldn't reproduce that. The Lions haven't had a full season of domination such as that, yet they have produced the performances over 3 years.

Originally posted by Dan26
But none of the three individual years produced a team better than Carlton of '95 or Essendon of '00. If so, which year?

The wins and percentage by your reasoning make a better side, but it could well be because of poor opposition in the respective years. Who is to say that the 2000 Essendon side was better than any other side because they only lost 1 game and had a percentage of 160? It may have been because the other 15 sides that year were extremely poor.

If you transplanted that 2000 side into 2002, they may have finished 4th, they may have finished 1st, they may have finished 8th. You have absolutely no idea. No matter how much you like to think stats make you right, they don't back up your argument at all. All it is, is your opinion and opinions are like bumcracks...everyone has one.

Rioli Jacobs and Peverill are no injustice to the 2000 team. You are confusing the club and individual personel a little to much PL.
The club at that stage had 3 losses in about 46 games and they were playing like it.

The game against Carlton included, the side was playing with the same inner belief of the 2000 season up until half way through the first quarter of the Brisbane game.

A couple of weeks before they had luck and good umpire against Melbourne and the Anzac day game tested them out but they believed they could win throughout those games. A part from those games and the Carlton loss, the rest weren't going to the wire and there was some big wins.
You could see that belief drain in the Brisbane game.
It wasn't a simple matter of the Essendon side that night. It was if it bleeds we can kill moment in time. That was the moment the Essendon club reign as champion team was successfully challenged.
Anyway your 10+ was the murmurings of a little boy lost PL.

And didn't we hear about it the week before - when Essendon pumped Hawthorn with about the same amount of players out. All we heard about was "Essendon's great depth".

Can't have it both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who after Lethal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back