Who do you consider to be the strongest player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee the boys at my footy club were doing that in the beep test!
Thats because they carry less muscle.

Footy players are elite at a beep test score of 15 plus considering they need to mix power and endurance.

Also i have seen people at school better that and to everyone who says you cant possibly beat an afl player you're wrong because a lot of people can.

i dont think cousins is that strong (well, compared to alot of other players)...he looks ripped, but that isnt an indication of strength.
Lesson 1:

size does not necessarily equal strength.

I think glass would have to be pretty strong. Pushed Rocca off the ball very easily at the prelim final. Jonno brown is a given. I rekon Pav is fairly strong. Rucciota would be very strong in the core - i still remember that bump he gave Dean Kemp all those years ago.
Beau waters is a strong lil nugget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't Mick Martyn hold the AFL record for the benchpress? Something ridiculous like 180kg or thereabouts?

Pound for pound, I would say David Rodan would be one of if not the strongest in the AFL.

As for overall strongest, well the contenders have already been mentioned.

there was an article circa 2004 in the age,
and in it it had players bench press records. ive been trying to find it now.

gehrig was roughly 172.5
buckley was 162.5
and alistair lynch was 160

the rest i cant remember.

still looking for the article...

Mal Michael and Gherig are/were the strongest in terms of BP. Something close to 180kg. I reckon Michael will take out Brown easily. He is a rare beast.

When it comes to leg strength/power Judd would have some strong figures. Would like to see Ablett Jnrs also. The amount of times Ablett is heavily tackled and remains on his feet is unreal. Very hard to bring to ground.

Who cares what they bench. In terms of functional strength in aussie rules, bench press is not a good benchmark. The only time chest pressing strength is used is fending off, but even then it's the hips and core that should be doing most of the work.

In almost all sports, the bench press is a poor indicator of overall strength. It's just that bench press is an exercise that almost men have tried and they can relate to - this thread proves that again. In powerlifting events, the bench press is only 1/3 of the total score. Olympic weight lifters rarely, if ever, bench press.

Back squat and deadlift are the best yardsticks of strength. Cleans and olympic lifts are the best yardsticks of power. I guarantee you the strongest players on the field kg for kg are the ones who can back squat 2+ times their bodyweight.

There should be two figures: best overall for the above exercises and best lift vs body weight.

Who cares what they bench. In terms of functional strength in aussie rules, bench press is not a good benchmark. The only time chest pressing strength is used is fending off, but even then it's the hips and core that should be doing most of the work.

In almost all sports, the bench press is a poor indicator of overall strength. It's just that bench press is an exercise that almost men have tried and they can relate to - this thread proves that again. In powerlifting events, the bench press is only 1/3 of the total score. Olympic weight lifters rarely, if ever, bench press.

Back squat and deadlift are the best yardsticks of strength. Cleans and olympic lifts are the best yardsticks of power. I guarantee you the strongest players on the field kg for kg are the ones who can back squat 2+ times their bodyweight.

There should be two figures: best overall for the above exercises and best lift vs body weight.

Spot on!
In football, they need to know ho to use thier weight/strength to advantage, look at Lloyd, one of the biggest/strongest players in the game, as soft as butter, with his size, and ability, he should have been the best full forward since plugger!

Spot on!
In football, they need to know ho to use thier weight/strength to advantage, look at Lloyd, one of the biggest/strongest players in the game, as soft as butter, with his size, and ability, he should have been the best full forward since plugger!

? Lloyd is the best FF since Plugger

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you consider to be the strongest player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back