Who do you consider to be the strongest player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

performancerecords.JPG

Not sure how these scores compare to players from other clubs.

Someone having a bit of fun with Leuenberger right up there with Harding in the sprints??

Who cares what they bench. In terms of functional strength in aussie rules, bench press is not a good benchmark. The only time chest pressing strength is used is fending off, but even then it's the hips and core that should be doing most of the work.

In almost all sports, the bench press is a poor indicator of overall strength. It's just that bench press is an exercise that almost men have tried and they can relate to - this thread proves that again. In powerlifting events, the bench press is only 1/3 of the total score. Olympic weight lifters rarely, if ever, bench press.

Back squat and deadlift are the best yardsticks of strength. Cleans and olympic lifts are the best yardsticks of power. I guarantee you the strongest players on the field kg for kg are the ones who can back squat 2+ times their bodyweight.

There should be two figures: best overall for the above exercises and best lift vs body weight.

If you go back to that Brisbane chart the Dog put up, they had 2 categories by weight. Yappermanis holds with record for the clean with 1.42 times body weight.

You'd expect those things to favour the little blokes thoughAny AFL footballer who weighed over 100kg and could bench or clean 2+ times his own body weight would be an absolute monster.

If you go back to that Brisbane chart the Dog put up, they had 2 categories by weight. Yappermanis holds with record for the clean with 1.42 times body weight.

You'd expect those things to favour the little blokes thoughAny AFL footballer who weighed over 100kg and could bench or clean 2+ times his own body weight would be an absolute monster.

Whats it say behind the camera flash?

I also doubt they could clean that much. Cleaning 1.5x bodyweight is a decent effort. I would expect Aker to be strong - those figures didn't surprise me at all. He has a heap of power through his hips - this is what allows him to stand his ground, have a perfectly balanced kicking action, turn tightly, and break tackles. But there's no physiological reason why they should be balanced in favour of little blokes. The issue is that bigger players tend to play key positions, where extra mass can be a benefit, even if it isn't functional, so there is a benefit in training for that. I can't imagine Chris Tarrant being good at squatting. Massive upper arms, but it certainly hasn't helped him in contested marking.

Oh and I think Ben Rutten would be the strongest bloke getting around, on field at least.

Gym strength is a different story, some people have different muscle strength for different use.

As an example, Ben Davies from Collingwood (now Roos) throws more weight in the gym than Travis Cloke - which is difficult to believe.

When I was playing rugby at a reasonably high level, there was a bloke in the side benching 165kg and he was about 6' tall and 85kg. We had a prop who was 115kg, strong as an Ox who was benching around 120kg. Yet nobody would be silly enough to suggest the prop wasn't the strongest bloke in the side. Fwiw I could bench 135kg, yet if I was doing dumbell curls I could barely get 15kg past 90*. Everyone has different strength in the gym.

(George Gregan is pound for pound recognised as one of the stronger blokes in aussie sport as far as bench press goes - benching 145kg - not bad for a little bloke)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At West Coast Chris Judd was second only to Quinten Lynch on the leg press.

leg press is a sissy exercise for girls and a poor measure of leg strength (far too quad dominant), but FWIW, I reckon Judd would be a great squatter. Good natural squatters are invariably good sprinters. A lot of olympic lifters are naturally gifted sprinters when they start off. Hamstring stretch reflex is essential to both strength/power exercises involving the legs and sprinting.

Originally Posted by DannyJames13
When it comes to leg strength/power Judd would have some strong figures. Would like to see Ablett Jnrs also. The amount of times Ablett is heavily tackled and remains on his feet is unreal. Very hard to bring to ground.
They're both the best at staying on their feet in a tackle, Judd is slightly better but it wasn't seen much after round 11. Judd also has the best core strength, and I heard he leg pressed more than Lynch at the eagles.

Im pretty certain someone mentioned this earlier in the thread. But everyone shrugged it off...

MARK RICCUITO from memory holds the benching record in the afl.

This year/last year on "Before the Game" it was mentioned in an interview with another Adelaide player (i cant recall his name. Possible ruckmen or KPF)

Oh and I think Ben Rutten would be the strongest bloke getting around, on field at least.

Gym strength is a different story, some people have different muscle strength for different use.

As an example, Ben Davies from Collingwood (now Roos) throws more weight in the gym than Travis Cloke - which is difficult to believe.

When I was playing rugby at a reasonably high level, there was a bloke in the side benching 165kg and he was about 6' tall and 85kg. We had a prop who was 115kg, strong as an Ox who was benching around 120kg. Yet nobody would be silly enough to suggest the prop wasn't the strongest bloke in the side. Fwiw I could bench 135kg, yet if I was doing dumbell curls I could barely get 15kg past 90*. Everyone has different strength in the gym.

(George Gregan is pound for pound recognised as one of the stronger blokes in aussie sport as far as bench press goes - benching 145kg - not bad for a little bloke)

Yes RU players generally are a lot stronger than AFL players, but its a different mix of stamina/strength game

Jonathon Brown at the moment. He is an absolute mountain. Lynch and Neitz are up their as well, maybe not Neitz so much anymore, but he was amazingly strong in his prime.

We used to be pretty good in this area with Matty Primus and Tredrea at his best, but not so much anymore.

Surely Josh Hunt would be up there. He is just about the biggest unit going around. Although he can be soft on-field, I have heard he tears the gym up.

Who cares what they bench. In terms of functional strength in aussie rules, bench press is not a good benchmark. The only time chest pressing strength is used is fending off, but even then it's the hips and core that should be doing most of the work.

In almost all sports, the bench press is a poor indicator of overall strength. It's just that bench press is an exercise that almost men have tried and they can relate to - this thread proves that again. In powerlifting events, the bench press is only 1/3 of the total score. Olympic weight lifters rarely, if ever, bench press.

Back squat and deadlift are the best yardsticks of strength. Cleans and olympic lifts are the best yardsticks of power. I guarantee you the strongest players on the field kg for kg are the ones who can back squat 2+ times their bodyweight.

There should be two figures: best overall for the above exercises and best lift vs body weight.

most power lifters never bench, its not good for their technique, ur right tho, you need a lot more strength through the core and back and legs to squat that kind of weight, makes for a real athlete

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you consider to be the strongest player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back