Opinion Who do you WANT to coach in 2014

Who do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS.

We're a club with a seemingly endless pit of money to spend on a coach. Anyone who thinks we should use that on an untried assistant, raise your left hand.

Anyone, who like me thinks we should put a blank cheque in front of Alistair Clarkson or Mark Thompson and get them to add as many zeros as they want, raise your right hand.

FFS.

We're a club with a seemingly endless pit of money to spend on a coach. Anyone who thinks we should use that on an untried assistant, raise your left hand.

Anyone, who like me thinks we should put a blank cheque in front of Alistair Clarkson or Mark Thompson and get them to add as many zeros as they want, raise your right hand.

Thompson seems pretty clear that he doesn't want to coach again. Not like Roos was saying, "not at the moment." Pretty definitive.

I'd be in Clarkson's ear to see what he wants to do going forward.

An untried assistant may be the best option. Shouldn't rule out anyone.

FFS.

Thompson doesn't want to be a senior coach. Clarkson I just can't see happening. Would love them to try, but doubt that.

Nothing wrong with trying untried assistants, especially if they have experience with high pedigree coaches in the past.

Thompson doesn't want to be a senior coach. Clarkson I just can't see happening. Would love them to try, but doubt that.

Nothing wrong with trying untried assistants, especially if they have experience with high pedigree coaches in the past.

Thompson burned out at Geelong, and has been under the media glare in his time at the Dons. If he's got even a small part of him that wants to coach, then why wouldn't he consider getting out of Melbourne?

Peter Sumich has been turned down for nearly every head coaching job in the past six or so years... yet all of a sudden he's a popular choice for us? I just don't get it. Our choice shouldn't be based on whether or not they played for us. In fact, I think that's the last thing which should be looked at.

Why isn't Choco on the list, he's far more likely than a lot of the other options.
Agree and you just beat me.
Would do a power of good for some of our slacker players. And good access to Martin, Conca, Coniglio, etc.
Probably wouldn't cost a fortune. Premiership coach. Brings fire and guts to a team that needs it.

Get it done

I don't want anybody associated or formerly associated with the club.

What nonsense. we're not melbourne or the bulldogs. why on earth would we not want to employ someone who has been involved with our highly successful club?

Sumich has to be the man. Is respected internally, has good experience, good relationship with the players/local media/fans.

Burns... eh, no thank you. He's our midfield coach at the moment, right? Under his tenure, we now have arguably the worst midfield in the league. Why would we promote him to senior coach?

Mark Willams? GTFO, what are you people smoking? He got sacked from Port for a reason. Our club doesn't take rejects from other clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumich I'd be okay with, although I'm rather loathe to go with another favourite son of the club after this.
Why?

The last favourite son we employed as coach took us to a flag. Oh no, better not go down that road again.

Times like this really expose the stupidity in a lot of people.

What nonsense. we're not melbourne or the bulldogs. why on earth would we not want to employ someone who has been involved with our highly successful club?

Sumich has to be the man. Is respected internally, has good experience, good relationship with the players/local media/fans.

Burns... eh, no thank you. He's our midfield coach at the moment, right? Under his tenure, we now have arguably the worst midfield in the league. Why would we promote him to senior coach?

Mark Willams? GTFO, what are you people smoking? He got sacked from Port for a reason. Our club doesn't take rejects from other clubs

What did he get sacked from port for?

Peter Sumich has been turned down for nearly every head coaching job in the past six or so years... yet all of a sudden he's a popular choice for us? I just don't get it. Our choice shouldn't be based on whether or not they played for us. In fact, I think that's the last thing which should be looked at.
So we should rule out a candidate just because they haven;t been selected to coach other clubs?

Seem to recall Kin Hinkley getting passed over for a few jobs. He seems to be going okay so far...

FFS.

Valid argument but I don't think Thompson is interested in a senior job. The job at Essendon has knocked the stuffing out of him.

As for Clarkson he is a well proven senior coach so we should certainly inquire. However in that strong list that the Hawks have had for a few season now he has only delivered one premiership and a pretty bad choke in last years decider

I voted for Richardson, preference 2 would be Williams

Williams took Port to a Premiership, in arguably far more difficult conditions than Woosha did at West Coast. Port was a joke when Williams took over. If you think Wooshas tenure at West Coast was successful, Williams pulled off a minor miracle at Port. Williams is a mongrel of a bloke, can't stand him, but god he's what we need. Someone to turn our team from soft front runners, into rabid dogs. I'd back him in to get the boys playing for the jumper again.

So we should rule out a candidate just because they haven;t been selected to coach other clubs?

Seem to recall Kin Hinkley getting passed over for a few jobs. He seems to be going okay so far...

Would be good to think of the reasons why Sumich was passed over for so many gigs.

I mean it wasn't even as though he even got close to any of them.

Why?

The last favourite son we employed as coach took us to a flag. Oh no, better not go down that road again.

Times like this really expose the stupidity in a lot of people.

Get knotted, mate.

Worsfold exposed the difficulty the club has making decisions when it comes to favourite sons. Best exemplified, really, in the example of Essendon with their institutional blindness over Hird. It is a basic fact that hiring a coach that you cannot treat like a normal coach in employment decisions is dangerous because it distorts opinion. Worsfold was a good coach who took us to a Premiership, but that does not mean that there are not drawbacks and disadvantages to hiring club legends in operational roles.

The only stupidity being exposed here is your own.

With the exception of Malthouse at Collingwood in 2010, every premiership coach since Matthews at Brisbane was an untried coach at the time they were appointed - thats 7 coaches (Williams, Roos, Worsfold, Thompson, Clarkson, Scott and Longmire).

There's no guarantees with untried coaches as there's a shitload of failures as well but ruling someone out purely because they haven't coached before is silly.

Bomber Thompson would be a terrible choice as he doesn't want to be a senior coach and after the year he has had is probably just as, if not more burnt out than Worsfold.

Clarkson I think is out of contract and might be open to a Freo-Lyon style raid if the Hawks miss out again this year but that would be a long shot.

Williams has the ability to give the club a good shake up and if anyone has become a little too comfortable in their spot he would change that. Hand in hand with that though is Choco has a very abrasive personality and runs the risk of going too far and alienating people along the way - might be good in the short term but could end up creating more problems than the ones he might solve.

Of all the coaches with previous experience who are realistically available I think Voss is the best choice but I'm not convinced he's definitely better than a currently untried assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who do you WANT to coach in 2014

Back