• St Kilda

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • One of the rest

Votes: 17 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most people agree it will be between North, West Coast, Hawthorn and GWS.

North - Crap in 2022, hard to see where much improvement is coming in 2023
West Coast - Same as above. Hard to see where a significant improvement is coming.
GWS - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Hopper and Taranto
Hawthorn - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara.

Darling and Cripps are old farts. Allan coming back from injury and Ryan is a small forward. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jack Riewoldt, Cotchin and one or two more of Richmond's old players are old farts too ? (From a footy perspective)

I don't think your recent trade period top up strategy will work tbh

Jack Riewoldt, Cotchin and one or two more of Richmond's old players are old farts too ? (From a footy perspective)

I don't think your recent trade period top up strategy will work tbh

Yeah they are, but idk why you felt the need to bring up Richmond at all tbh. Rent free.

Darling and Cripps are old farts. Allan coming back from injury and Ryan is a small forward. Good luck.

Ryan was garbage this year. Didn't look like he was trying. Having said that Eagles couldn't be worse and still have a core of decent players. I also like some of the young talent coming through. They should finish 12-15

Hawks have lost McEvoy, Shiels, O'Meara, Mitchell and Gunston. They'll struggle.
GWS are organ donars.
North coming from a long way back and lost JHF.

Essendon the dark horse if they cop some injuries.

Could be a race to the bottom.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree it’s WC. I can’t see anybody being able to kick goals for them. Hawks still have amazing kids.

On talent, WC should finish last but their home ground advantage will.see them win enough to avoid the spoon. GWS gets it in my opinion, unbalanced list, club in turmoil etc.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll be surprised if it’s North again.

They’ve drafted enough talented players over the last couple of years to see them win enough games.
I reckon they’ll have a patch at some point next year like the Crows did this year where they play a brilliant 4 weeks.

Round 3-6. Beat 3 better sides but lost to the worst of the bunch by 4 points.

Ryan was garbage this year. Didn't look like he was trying. Having said that Eagles couldn't be worse and still have a core of decent players. I also like some of the young talent coming through. They should finish 12-15

Hawks have lost McEvoy, Shiels, O'Meara, Mitchell and Gunston. They'll struggle.
GWS are organ donars.
North coming from a long way back and lost JHF.

Essendon the dark horse if they cop some injuries.

Could be a race to the bottom.

McEvoy and Shiels didn't play a lot of last season and O'Meara and Mitchell were cast out to flanks for longer periods.

Gunston is the biggest loss on that list.

I genuinely think we'll finish between 6-9 wins but it's dependant on how fit the list stays. The best picked 26 includes Meek, Amon and the majority of last year's side, but with an extra year of development. If injuries force more and more new draftees or untried rookies to pull on the jumper then I think we're more likely to be a bottom 2 contender. Until that happens I think we'll surprise a few.

I think most people agree it will be between North, West Coast, Hawthorn and GWS.

North - Crap in 2022, hard to see where much improvement is coming in 2023
West Coast - Same as above. Hard to see where a significant improvement is coming.
GWS - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Hopper and Taranto
Hawthorn - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara.
North - have brought in a fad better coach & some experienced players that should make a difference.

West Coast - would be unlucky to have another huge covid hit where they need to field a wafl team. Likely to win at least half of their home games.

GWS - change of coach, but unproven so a bit of the unknown. Sill have some decent talent but lack depth.

Hawks - taken over from Adelaide as the most inexperienced side by a fair margin makes them favourites imo.

Hawthorn lost the most experience in one shot. That never ends well in the short term. But they are in full rebuild mode so not too much expectation on them.

Eagles are a different case. They have their experience still on the list. Whether they are cooked, or just had a bad year remains to be seen. JK is a big loss for sure, but the midfield and defence is still there.

North have acquired some experience to go with the youth, I do think they'll be better in 2023. Probably a couple extra wins.

GWS.. remains to be seen what no Taranto/Hopper does. They do have a fair bit of mids, they probably could be better but that remains to be seen.

McEvoy and Shiels didn't play a lot of last season and O'Meara and Mitchell were cast out to flanks for longer periods.

Gunston is the biggest loss on that list.

I genuinely think we'll finish between 6-9 wins but it's dependant on how fit the list stays. The best picked 26 includes Meek, Amon and the majority of last year's side, but with an extra year of development. If injuries force more and more new draftees or untried rookies to pull on the jumper then I think we're more likely to be a bottom 2 contender. Until that happens I think we'll surprise a few.
Agreed.

I’d love Harley Reid, but we’ve got too many players with upside who missed games in 2022 to bottom out, and on top of that I think we’re also too good at developing players to be a basketcase.

Between us and North Melbourne.

Whilst it is definitely the right decision for the long term, Gunston. O’Meara, Mitchell and McEvoy out is too much experience in one hit to replace and will be felt this season.

Couple that with the lack of elite top end talent and it’s going to be a very long season. 6 wins is best case in my opinion. Could be as low as 3.

Mitchell came 5th, O’Meara 7th and Gunston 11th (missed 6 games) in our best and fairest last season. McEvoy was our captain and played in 5 of our wins.

Gunston- replaced by a delisted bulldog in Fergus Greene who played in the vfl all of last season. Our forward line was bottom 4 even with Gunston. Wingard returning will help but he’s 28 next season and his body was cooked two years ago. Mitch Lewis is injury prone and our only quality key forward. If he goes down with a serious injury, the spoon is a lock.

O’Meara and Mitchell- whilst phased out of the midfield last season, both were still best 22 players. Mitchell led the team in contested possession and clearance. Replaced by a Geelong youngster in cooper Stephens that played 5 games (one as sub) last season and would not have been traded had the cats believed he would be playing in their best side, especially with Selwood retiring. James Worpel, 79 games, is our most experienced midfielder and is borderline best 23. All about getting games into a midfield unit of Newcombe, moore, ward, Mackenzie, macdonald, day and hustwaite this season.

McEvoy- replaced by Lloyd meek, who will be in our best 23 all season but is inexperienced and is still unproven at afl level. Has looked great so far in preseason and could be a bargain pick up.

Amon will be a great pick up, but a wingman isn’t helping us win games.

Our drafting the last two years in particular looks brilliant- ward. Macdonald. Butler into Mackenzie, weddle and hustwaite..with Newcombe and Blank in the mid season draft..they need to play 50+ games together before we see the results.

North Melbourne:

Are slowly putting together a potentially decent list but like us are at least 3 years away from playing finals. Their midfield has the potential to be top 4 in a few years time but Clarkson will need time to build his best team. Like us, they lack elite top end talent. Ben McKay and Nick Larkey are quality key posts at either end and LDU is ready to explode but that’s about it.

Others:

West coast’s list is completely cooked and will be overtaken by us and north in the next few years but they still enough quality experienced players to win 6-8 games next season. They got absolutely destroyed by injury and covid last season.

Gws’s top end talent is still quality- greene, Kelly, Whitfield, green, Taylor is enough to help them win 6-8 games.

Rankine is a huge get for the crows, who’s forward like started to take shape last season. Tex Walker and Fogarty is a good combo. If thilthorp can break out, the crows will win 8-10 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Who finishes last in 2023?

Back