• St Kilda

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • One of the rest

Votes: 17 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most people agree it will be between North, West Coast, Hawthorn and GWS.

North - Crap in 2022, hard to see where much improvement is coming in 2023
West Coast - Same as above. Hard to see where a significant improvement is coming.
GWS - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Hopper and Taranto
Hawthorn - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara.
Key defence should be more reliable, Thomas being hopefully physically and mentally fit (he started 2022 suffering from 2021 and pre-season injuries and only got worse from there), Cunnington actually playing.
Significant improvement may well happen, but it will probably not translate to wins. Significant improvement is still dead last with anywhere from zero to three wins, maybe better percentage and competitive against a reasonably fit 17th.

Fair enough with the poll a club needs to be a favourite for the spoon but something special is brewing down at the Hawks. A new core group of players are approaching that sweet spot will step up, few of the kids recruited aren’t short small types and are pretty fit already and with another season under a new coach with a new game plan ……… could see them sneaking into the 8!

Only fair if you mentioned another club's old/aging players and champions.

Context is everything

In a who finishes last thread? Nice try but no. Make an other thread for it if you want. Nothing Richmond related should be in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think most people agree it will be between North, West Coast, Hawthorn and GWS.

North - Crap in 2022, hard to see where much improvement is coming in 2023
West Coast - Same as above. Hard to see where a significant improvement is coming.
GWS - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Hopper and Taranto
Hawthorn - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara.

I've selected Hawthorn in the poll but I think the Crows are overlooked. Their list is poor and it wouldn't surprise me if last year was a dead cat bounce on the back of Tex and they won't be able to replicate.

I've selected Hawthorn in the poll but I think the Crows are overlooked. Their list is poor and it wouldn't surprise me if last year was a dead cat bounce on the back of Tex and they won't be able to replicate.
Just had a look at their list.
Ur spot on. It's awful.

Fwd line looks good but midfield is absolutely horrendous. Defence bog average.

I think the Saints are a massive chance, the ingredients are all there.

Bog ordinary list, a megalomaniac coach that's been out of the system for almost a decade and a culture of self loathing and failure.
We won half our games last year with the hardest draw in the comp. Not sure our list is as bad as you make out.

P00s & W33s to get the spoon.

Mitchell to find out the hard way that the "rebuild" and "bottom out" theories are totally bogus and he has scrapped way too much talent gambling on youth - many of who will be duds or have probably peaked at 18. The kids who are any good will be so sick of losing after 3 years they will jump ship to any club making them an offer. Coupled with big split in the board and with one of Andrews' mates coming on board, the Hawks could be in for a nightmare decade.

Mitchell to find out the hard way that the "rebuild" and "bottom out" theories are totally bogus and he has scrapped way too much talent gambling on youth - many of who will be duds or have probably peaked at 18. The kids who are any good will be so sick of losing after 3 years they will jump ship to any club making them an offer. Coupled with big split in the board and with one of Andrews' mates coming on board, the Hawks could be in for a nightmare decade.
A lot of experience/leadership has gone out the door but as Sam said your age doesn’t determine if you have leadership qualities ……. I think I will believe and have faith in Sam given what he has achieved in the game over an opinion by a BF poster that barracks for Port and has studied at both Oxford and Cambridge! Who do you barrack for on the Thames each year?

A lot of experience/leadership has gone out the door but as Sam said your age doesn’t determine if you have leadership qualities ……. I think I will believe and have faith in Sam given what he has achieved in the game over an opinion by a BF poster that barracks for Port and has studied at both Oxford and Cambridge! Who do you barrack for on the Thames each year?
I studied at the intersection of Cambridge & Oxford Streets for many years! Saw the boys in Cambridge and Oxford blues embark on a complete youth rebuild and it was the biggest disaster the club ever went through. Needed the great Phil Carman to come in and stop the rot.

I had an each-way bet on the Thames race - was always a great day out on the turps in my London years.

Mitchell is bold but time will tell ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He scrapped the experience. The talent remains. The leadership is evolving.

I think we'll be okay.

He scrapped the experience. The talent remains. The leadership is evolving.

I think we'll be okay.
I dare say most who barrack for Melbourne were of the same opinion several years ago, when they cut similarly deeply into their experience and leadership.

We all saw how that turned out, and it’s presumably a big part of the reason other clubs have avoided taking the risk of the same happening to them, until now.

I dare say most who barrack for Melbourne were of the same opinion several years ago, when they cut similarly deeply into their experience and leadership.

We all saw how that turned out, and it’s presumably a big part of the reason other clubs have avoided taking the risk of the same happening to them, until now.

Hawthorn won't be appointing Josh Ward and Connor Macdonald as co-captains.

Massive difference to what that Melbourne side did.

Our best player, who is 27 and just signed a 5 year contract, will be named captain.

Our 24 year old key forward who averaged more goals a game that all the other key forwards in the comp will likely be named vice captain.

Wingard, Amon and Impey are notoriously great leaders in the indigenous community and all experienced footballers.

Sam Frost and Dylan Moore have been actively involved in multiple charities. Moore is likely to be part of whatever our leadership group looks like.

The leadership void at Hawthorn is a myth.

Jack Riewoldt, Cotchin and one or two more of Richmond's old players are old farts too ? (From a footy perspective)

I don't think your recent trade period top up strategy will work tbh
I know you pegged Richmond to finish outside of the eight Elmer but now you are saying we will finish last? Quite a jump there old boy.

I know you pegged Richmond to finish outside of the eight Elmer but now you are saying we will finish last? Quite a jump there old boy.

I never said the Tigers would finish last tbh, just responded to a Richmond supporter who pointed out the aging stars/on last legs champs on tbe Eagles list.

I love this thread, if not just for the amount of Geelong fans who’ve no doubt voted for Hawthorn, but for the sheer volume of votes Hawthorn are getting. We’re winning this poll in a canter.

Meanwhile…

B2A19929-22E7-4BD1-B87E-949E94BAA3E8.jpeg

Hawthorn won't be appointing Josh Ward and Connor Macdonald as co-captains.

Massive difference to what that Melbourne side did.

Our best player, who is 27 and just signed a 5 year contract, will be named captain.

Our 24 year old key forward who averaged more goals a game that all the other key forwards in the comp will likely be named vice captain.

Wingard, Amon and Impey are notoriously great leaders in the indigenous community and all experienced footballers.

Sam Frost and Dylan Moore have been actively involved in multiple charities. Moore is likely to be part of whatever our leadership group looks like.

The leadership void at Hawthorn is a myth.
We will find out in 2023, but the Hawks are now last for the average number of games by a fair margin to Adelaide.

Imo, you are underestimating the loss of so many experienced players in 1 hit & this will be felt in performances.

However, being the least experienced side doesn't necessarily translate to winning the wooden spoon, as Adelaide stayed out of the bottom 4 in 2022.

With the Roos getting a decent coach & handy experienced ins, it now makes the Hawks imo the obvious choice for the spoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Who finishes last in 2023?

Back