• St Kilda

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • One of the rest

Votes: 17 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most people agree it will be between North, West Coast, Hawthorn and GWS.

North - Crap in 2022, hard to see where much improvement is coming in 2023
West Coast - Same as above. Hard to see where a significant improvement is coming.
GWS - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Hopper and Taranto
Hawthorn - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara.
West Coast is going through a rebuild, so they're not likely to be good. But they couldn't even finish last in a year where their injury was so bad that they had to use multiple top up players across several games that weren't even on their list. Significant improvement will come just from having a normal injury run.

North may improve a bit from better coaching. Or maybe not. Hawks are likely to be worse as they've cut experienced players. I think one of them will finish last.

Hawthorn lost the most experience in one shot. That never ends well in the short term. But they are in full rebuild mode so not too much expectation on them.

Eagles are a different case. They have their experience still on the list. Whether they are cooked, or just had a bad year remains to be seen. JK is a big loss for sure, but the midfield and defence is still there.

North have acquired some experience to go with the youth, I do think they'll be better in 2023. Probably a couple extra wins.

GWS.. remains to be seen what no Taranto/Hopper does. They do have a fair bit of mids, they probably could be better but that remains to be seen.
Probably Hawthorn will finish last. They have a few aspiring players but youth is only so good. Reckon the club will choose to prioritise draft picks to continue to build a core. If you trade out Mitchell and O'Meara - former landmark signings - it's an indication of rebuild mode. If they were chasing a flag, Mitchell would have stayed. At the moment, the club has no direction beyond a rebuild and they can't really focus on footy when the off-field department is such a mess. Not to mention lingering issues with racism.

North were unlucky this season in many ways but their two first rounders should continue to aid them in their rebuild. Their list has talent; it's utilising it that will be the challenge.

West Coast's list has some light but they revolve too much around wounded veterans. It would take a big effort to finish outside the bottom eight. Simpson's coaching has also come under fire - he certainly isn't popular with fans.

GWS is still a talented list but Cadman will only go so far.

Essendon and St Kilda don't have bright futures, either. Essendon, as their recruitment has flat-lined and St Kilda because they feel a bit one-dimensional.

West Coast is going through a rebuild, so they're not likely to be good. But they couldn't even finish last in a year where their injury was so bad that they had to use multiple top up players across several games that weren't even on their list. Significant improvement will come just from having a normal injury run.

North may improve a bit from better coaching. Or maybe not. Hawks are likely to be worse as they've cut experienced players. I think one of them will finish last.
West Coast would have won the spoon in nearly any other year. They were just lucky that North were the worst team since the early GC and GWS teams

I think most people agree it will be between North, West Coast, Hawthorn and GWS.

West Coast - Same as above. Hard to see where a significant improvement is coming.
Hawthorn - Were not good in 2022 and have since lost Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara.
Well it could be a few things:
  • Our best defender and leading intercept marker on average playing more than 9 full games in the back line
  • Our best midfielder of the past decade playing more than 2 nothing games.
  • A pick 3 not being strucken out by glandular fever
  • Tarryn Thomas and/or Jaidyn Stephenson pulling the finger out of their asses
  • Bringing in a solid B grade key defender
  • Other young players improving

I agree with these views mostly - in terms of West Coasts' excpetionally bad injury run, the fact that North should finally improve a bit and that Hawthorn are likely to be a bit worse initially with the experience lost.

Still not sure whether that will result in Hawthorn winning the spoon or not as the difference between North and Hawthorn last season was actually 6 wins and 35%!

To put that into context, that is the same difference between Carlton who missed finals and Geelong, who finished 2 wins and 15% clear of second.

Anything can happen and Hawthorn 'deserves' to be in the conversation, but 6 wins and 35% is a huge gulf to make up in 1 off season.

All 3 not part of the next premiership side. You also mentioned in a previous post they were all really important players which there clearly not otherwise we would have kept them. Gunston and McEvoy are the only 2 we wanted to go around at least 1-2 more years with us. We have a good core around that 22-25 years old mark which is where the next batch of leaders are already coming through. Age doesn't equal being a good leader nor does how many years you have been in the system. You can be self driven and set the example when your quite young. Selwood is a good example of this. Newcombe came back in September before anybody else to get a bit of conditioning in. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

It's a clear cut bottom 2 between North and Hawthorne.

Could see West Coast, Essendon, GWS, Adelaide, Port or GC be bottom 6 as well.

On talent, WC should finish last but their home ground advantage will.see them win enough to avoid the spoon. GWS gets it in my opinion, unbalanced list, club in turmoil etc.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I just can't see west coast get the wooden spoon 🥄 with each side playing 23 games.

Eagles have 12 home state games and winning 5 or 6 of them is enough to avoid the bottom spot.

Also, they should not be stuffed with covid for the 2nd season in a row

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it could be a few things:
  • Our best defender and leading intercept marker on average playing more than 9 full games in the back line
  • Our best midfielder of the past decade playing more than 2 nothing games.
  • A pick 3 not being strucken out by glandular fever
  • Tarryn Thomas and/or Jaidyn Stephenson pulling the finger out of their asses
  • Bringing in a solid B grade key defender
  • Other young players improving
Why stop there?

• a new coach who’s actually proven to be capable of instituting a functional game plan
  • a new fitness regime befitting a 21st century sport team
  • the belated inclusion of a second KPF on the field at the same time (gasp) as larkey
  • the immediate availability of a young elite medium forward likened by draft watchers to Toby Greene
  • the likely continuation of LDU’s trajectory towards becoming one of the leagues bonafide midfield stars
  • Better list management across the board resulting in some actual depth
  • all new club governance staffed by people with commensurate experience, who are actually qualified

Who knows, all that might just bring about the odd improvement come game day.

Last edited:
And after brutal draws the last two seasons we’re drawn to play both twice next year, which is a nice change.
Now be honest..... Tell me your master plan for the saints to finish as far away from the wooden spoon as possible? LoL.

What plans or tactics will saints coach Ross Lyon use to finish as far away from the wooden spoon as possible? LoL

I think it will be a battle between West Coast and North. North is due to move off the bottom. So West Coast is my tip.
GWS bottom 3.

On talent, WC should finish last but their home ground advantage will.see them win enough to avoid the spoon. GWS gets it in my opinion, unbalanced list, club in turmoil etc.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
On top end talent, the Eagles shouldn’t be anywhere near the bottom 4, their best 10 or so players are well above any of the other teams mentioned on here.

Issue is keeping most of them on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Who finishes last in 2023?

Back