Who is most destined for glory: Richmond, North and Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Richmond. Melbourne has a good list for the next few year, but they have cultural problems.

North will win a flag first but who knows when that will be.

Nobody celebrates mediocrity like the Tigers and Dees. Case in point, my Richmond mates talk to me about the final against Essendon as if it's the greatest moment in their supporters lives. Still can't fathom they didn't get within a sniff of a Grand Final.

Your friends think a 70 point loss is the greatest moment in their supporters life ?????

you taking the piss ???

North have shown the most so far. They have been right on the cusp of finals two years in a row despite blooding a heap of new players.

Melb/Richmond on the otehr hand have not looked like it. The only argument you can put forward for Melbourne and Richmond is that they have lots of high draft picks - but these clubs know better than any that all those draft picks guarantee nothing, so until they actually show some backbone (Dees especially), how could anyone possibly back them?

The dees lost by over 200 points in a game this year and people are saying they are most likely to succeed? Madness.

The Tiges have no idea how to make or play finals, and given the reasonable start they got off to in 2011 and the heap they fell in, it appears nothing has changed.

The Roos seem to be putting together a hardnosed and talented bunch..the question mark over them will be finishing skills, but I will back the hard, ball winning team over the silky skileld team any day.

For the record, here is how champion data rank the best 10 from all teams in 2011:

1. Swallow
2. Goldstein
3. Deledio
4. Harvey
5. Cotchin
6. Wells
7. Moloney
8. Martin
9. Foley
10. Petrie

Probably a bit biased against Petrie, Frawley and Reiwoldt, but the fact that North have 5 of the top 10 and Melbourne have only 1 is telling

As of right now, North are the most capable of winning a flag in the short term.

However, if we are looking at the big picture, tigers would probably have to be the best placed - all their best players are pretty much under 24 (Delido, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Vickery, Conca, Rance and Batchelor). North's older brigade won't be around or at their peak in 2-3 years time leaving a big hole in their team. Tigers have the star players in place, its just a matter of finding 6 -10 good role players to help them push on (always harder to unearth a star than a solid best 22 player).

Melbourne have a great new coach and the best defence of the 3 but lack quality up forward and gun mids.

Jack Reiwoldt
Buddy Franklin
Josh Kennedy
Travis Cloke
Andrew Walker
All of these people had better 2011 seasons
Not taking anything away from him

-Walker is a mediocre player in a good team, Petrie had a better year and anyone smart would take him ahead of walker even despite their 3 year age difference.
Having said that one is a utility/KPF compared to a small forward and its hard to compare them.
-Kennedy and Petrie were about on par this year. Kennedy got better service and more opportunity up forward in a better side and hence kicked a few more goals.
-Riewoldt not a whole lot between them based on this year. Petrie was probably more influencial in getting his side over the line in more games than Jack.

When's the last time North beat a top 4 side ? I doubt their own top 4 credentials in the short and long term, Tigers and Dees have much bigger upsides to their list

When's the last time North beat a top 4 side ? I doubt their own top 4 credentials in the short and long term, Tigers and Dees have much bigger upsides to their list

When is the last time Carlton beat a top 4 side? You lost all your games last year to the top 4 sides, just like North Melbourne.

You aren't a top 4 side but We beat you in 2010.
We were ahead at 3 quarter time against you guys this year.
We have shown we can compete with better sides such as Hawthorn,Carlton and West Coast a lot more than what Melbourne and Richmond have.
So what's your point?

Melbourne in 2010 showed a much greater ability to compete with top four sides than any of these clubs.

Collingwood: 1 point loss and a draw
WB: 4 point loss

Melbourne in 2010 showed a much greater ability to compete with top four sides than any of these clubs.

Collingwood: 1 point loss and a draw
WB: 4 point loss

They also showed the ability to get smashed, but then again, Richmond and North were also at ther end of some serious hidings.
I can't help to think that it could easily be any of the teams in question.

The thing with North though is that they're probably the side that is least likely to drop.
Who really knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also showed the ability to get smashed, but then again, Richmond and North were also at ther end of some serious hidings.

The thing with North though is that they're probably the side that is least likely to drop.
Who really knows?
Harker how would you rate essendon compared to these guys if you think that
I personally reckon we are a bit ahead of North

When is the last time Carlton beat a top 4 side? You lost all your games last year to the top 4 sides, just like North Melbourne.

We've beaten Geelong twice out of the last 3 times we've played and would have beaten them again had Warnock not being concussed.

North gets belted constantly by the likes of Geelong and Collingwood on a regular basis.

I think there are too many plodders in their best 22 like Aaron Edwards and Lindsay Thomas and Firrito for them to make the transition to top 4.
It's a cliche but they have not got enough A grade young talent coming through their system

Who really knows?

North's veterans are keeping them above the kids from Richmond and Melbourne, once the likes of Petrie and Harvey retire, they will bottom out like the Tigers and Demons.

North have shown the most so far. They have been right on the cusp of finals two years in a row despite blooding a heap of new players.

Melb/Richmond on the otehr hand have not looked like it. The only argument you can put forward for Melbourne and Richmond is that they have lots of high draft picks - but these clubs know better than any that all those draft picks guarantee nothing, so until they actually show some backbone (Dees especially), how could anyone possibly back them?

The dees lost by over 200 points in a game this year and people are saying they are most likely to succeed? Madness.

The Tiges have no idea how to make or play finals, and given the reasonable start they got off to in 2011 and the heap they fell in, it appears nothing has changed.

The Roos seem to be putting together a hardnosed and talented bunch..the question mark over them will be finishing skills, but I will back the hard, ball winning team over the silky skileld team any day.

For the record, here is how champion data rank the best 10 from all teams in 2011:

1. Swallow
2. Goldstein
3. Deledio
4. Harvey
5. Cotchin
6. Wells
7. Moloney
8. Martin
9. Foley
10. Petrie

Probably a bit biased against Petrie, Frawley and Reiwoldt, but the fact that North have 5 of the top 10 and Melbourne have only 1 is telling
i'm liking that top 10 from a north perspective:thumbsu:

Just quietly, if (and it's still a big if) Majak Daw continues his rapid development there won't be anyone questioning our A grade talent.

But for now I'm pretty content with Petrie, Wells, Swallow, Goldstein and Ziebell.

Harker how would you rate essendon compared to these guys if you think that
I personally reckon we are a bit ahead of North

I think things will start to come together nicely for the Dons next year.
You couldn't experience another year of injuries you had this year, if you tried.
There is a lot to be said for being able to maintain your squad on the park and Essendon and Fremantle didn't have luck on their side at all.
Caddy would have been a great get for you guys, but you still have a quality inside mid in Watson but just need a couple more runners to really clock things up.
Alike the aforementioned teams, you haven't too many players that you can expect to go backwards, yet plenty that will clearly get better.

A good rule of thumb as to how your team will go in any given year is as to how many injuries you start off with.
Zero injuries is a great platform to build off.

North's veterans are keeping them above the kids from Richmond and Melbourne, once the likes of Petrie and Harvey retire, they will bottom out like the Tigers and Demons.

That's true but who can really say with Boomer.
The guy may well still be playing in two years time. Didn't really look to have slowed down too much this year.
Petrie being stationed in the goal square isn't butchering his body too much and he may well be around long enough to sting plenty, until he does move on.

This thread may get to 1000 posts, but we won't be any wiser until the season proper starts.

Just quietly, if (and it's still a big if) Majak Daw continues his rapid development there won't be anyone questioning our A grade talent.

Get your hand off it. Daw is still a rookie list speculation. Has shown nothing to suggest he'll be an A grade talent at AFL level.

Would get killed rucking in the AFL, and wouldn't be as free to run.

Get your hand off it. Daw is still a rookie list speculation. Has shown nothing to suggest he'll be an A grade talent at AFL level.

Would get killed rucking in the AFL, and wouldn't be as free to run.

Here's a list of things Maj has going for him:

- He can jump higher than most players
- He can run faster than most players
- He's a strong, physical player and puts immense pressure on the opposition
- He's strong overhead
- He's a very good kick for a ruckman

Here's a list of things he doesn't have:

- Fitness (seriously, he's shocking)
- A football brain

If he had played this year he would have been hurt the other way by good ruckmen but North supporters have every reason to be excited about this bloke.

People saying he should have played this year are wrong but others saying we've got nothing to look forward to with him are equally wrong.

Here's a list of things Maj has going for him:

- He can jump higher than most players
- He can run faster than most players
- He's a strong, physical player and puts immense pressure on the opposition
- He's strong overhead
- He's a very good kick for a ruckman

Here's a list of things he doesn't have:

- Fitness (seriously, he's shocking)
- A football brain

If he had played this year he would have been hurt the other way by good ruckmen but North supporters have every reason to be excited about this bloke.

People saying he should have played this year are wrong but others saying we've got nothing to look forward to with him are equally wrong.

Reminds me a bit of Setanta O'Ailphin from that description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back