Who is most destined for glory: Richmond, North and Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if North fans really get the concept of old players retiring.

Any team would be worse off if several of their best players retired. The difference is, Melbourne and Richmond won't lose any talent for at least 6-7 years. We'll only get better with every draft.

You'll get better too (through the improvement of Ziebell, Macmillan, Black etc) but you'll also get worse by losing several AA quality players.

Everyone has good young kids, a strict youth policy just gives a club a longer window of improvement without the threat of retirements weakening their list.

This is why you'll tread 9th for a few more years. Your kids will get better... but the oldies will drop off... so you'll stay about even.

To be honest none of them. All 3 look like being nothing more than mediocre for the foreseeable future.

Gee then you should be seriously worried for the bombers.
Zaharakis who wouldn't even be close to the top 50 players in the AFL won your B and F. Same goes for Stanton who was runner up. That is what you would define as mediocre.

You can put Essendon's only top 4 win over Geelong this year down to Bomber Thompson. I didn't read anything into that win at all other than the fact Thompson knew that team inside out.

Melbourne will lose Jamar and Moloney.

That will be felt; but we've gotten experience into the young players that will be looking to replace them.

Davey and Green could hurt if they get back into form over the next few years; but they're more likely to be dropped than retire key members of our 22 ATM unfortunately.

Davey and Green could hurt if they get back into form over the next few years; but they're more likely to be dropped than retire key members of our 22 ATM unfortunately.

You've already felt the impact of losing their influence... therefore when they retire, you won't get worse. No change.

Moloney is good but in and under types are easier to replace than matchwinning mid/HFF types like Boomer, so again, you're not going to feel it as much as North. Just 1 or 2 key retirees over a 5 year period is pretty good for Melbourne :thumbsu:

Zaharakis who wouldn't even be close to the top 50 players in the AFL won your B and F. Same goes for Stanton who was runner up. That is what you would define as mediocre.

Zaharakis after 3 years of AFL football is already a better footballer than Daniel Wells, North's best and fairest winner.

Looking forward to watching Zaka continue his improvement next year as Wells gets back to being the front running, underachieving player that we all know he is. :thumbsu:

Many experts had West Coast as being the big improvers in 2010. Injuries to most of their best players ruined any hope of this happening.

It just came a year later than expected.

Silly comparison.

What a load of shit! I'd like to know which experts had them coming up in 2010? They won 8 games in 09, then 4 in 2010. I bet most West Coast fans didn't even see it coming.

I'm not sure if North fans really get the concept of old players retiring.

Any team would be worse off if several of their best players retired. The difference is, Melbourne and Richmond won't lose any talent for at least 6-7 years. We'll only get better with every draft.

You'll get better too (through the improvement of Ziebell, Macmillan, Black etc) but you'll also get worse by losing several AA quality players.

Everyone has good young kids, a strict youth policy just gives a club a longer window of improvement without the threat of retirements weakening their list.

This is why you'll tread 9th for a few more years. Your kids will get better... but the oldies will drop off... so you'll stay about even.

Out of our senior players there are only three that will cause us concern as far as replacement is concerned. Next season we will need to replace Rawlings as that shutdown defender. Who will take over we don't know,'but our reliance on Rawlings diminished as he got closer to the end of his career.

The next to go will be Harvey who is also moving down the ladder of importance,'although he is still quite so. Blokes like him are not really replaceable. Next is Petrie who had his best season for North last year, his first as a key forward. We have a few replacement options on our list but I reckon that we will look to get a KPF with our first pick in the 2012 draft. I reckon Harvey may have 2 years left, Petrie 3.

Doubtless we will need to replace these guys but over the course of the next two years we will see an increase in the importance in the likes of Atley, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Wright, Hansen, Tarrant, Harper and Black, who along with Swallow, Wells, Goldstein and Adams will form the core of our team for the next 5-10 years. Hopefully all will step up to the plate and many have potential to play important roles in the midfield which is where games are won and lost these days.

We are close to having our list complete structurally speaking but are yet to see if those brought into the club all be good enough to take us to the next level. I am pretty happy with the depth of options available and the quality of the depth to keep us at least competitive once our important senior players make way. Time will tell just how good we will become but there have been some very good draft selections brought to the club over the last 4 years or so, so im reasonably confident that we will meet the challenges to come.

I guess Richmond could have similar concerns with their list considering that a huge percentage of those on it were brought in over the last few years, and many with late draft and rookie selections. Success of both clubs in the future will IMO depend more on the ability of Richmond to turn this multitude of late selections into AFL quality players to support their upper echelon types than it will on North finding replacements for 3 retiring players.

Zaharakis after 3 years of AFL football is already a better footballer than Daniel Wells, North's best and fairest winner.

Looking forward to watching Zaka continue his improvement next year as Wells gets back to being the front running, underachieving player that we all know he is. :thumbsu:

Pure comedy. Next you will be telling us that Heppell goes harder than Ziebell.

Round one will be interesting!

Daniel Wells 3rd season of AFL would have been on par if not better than Zaharakis that is how average his year was.
But keep telling yourself that :thumbsu:

You can put Essendon's only top 4 win over Geelong this year down to Bomber Thompson. I didn't read anything into that win at all other than the fact Thompson knew that team inside out.
We beat WC so awks for you
And Watson is better than any of your players he would be in the top 20 and was top 10 up until injury

Actually.... he wouldn't be far off!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of shit! I'd like to know which experts had them coming up in 2010? They won 8 games in 09, then 4 in 2010. I bet most West Coast fans didn't even see it coming.

You've obviously got the memory of a goldfish.

Search function is your friend.

Bombers fans quickly become arrogant knobs. Looking forward to watching Zeibell tear their midfield apart in our second meeting in 2012.

Atley has a great future. Watch his last quarter against your mob when the game was in the balance.

Yep Heppell never performed under pressure at all this year. Went missing every time the game was on the line.

He needs Atley's shinboner spirit!

Bombers fans quickly become arrogant knobs. Looking forward to watching Zeibell tear their midfield apart in our second meeting in 2012.

This Zeibell love fest is getting beyond a joke. He is handy, no, more than handy, but he will never be elite.

I think North supporters are so desperate to have their team and players rated they hand out imaginary status on the majority of their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back