WHO is signing the Cousins to Eagles petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed it a while ago now, glad to see there are more than just a few who want him to come back.

I think he'd want to come back, he beld Blue and Gold for many years, through good times and bad, Ben Cousins IS West Coast and if he did want back in we should open our arms to him, he was sacked prematurely IMO, the straw that broke the camel's back was after a very sad point in his and many people's lives (RIP Mainy) and I think could have been excused under the circumstances. I know he had a bad record and was put on his last chance for a reason, but from all reports before Mainy he was well on track to getting better, or at least toning down his behaviour to meet the club's wishes. Dealing with grief is bad enough when you're in a fit and healthy state of mind, no one except people that have been there can know what it's like when you're recovering from somthing such as drug addiction, but you would have to say it'd very very tough.

The last incident could almost be classed as a witch hunt that ended up ruining his carreer, there were no charges laid and the club acted before it should have under pressure from outside sources (AFL/media outlets).

He deserves to be able to prove to himself and the footballing world that he has overcome his issues and I can't think of a better place than WCE, he's done everything else at the club and for the club and us supporters, why shouldn't we and them give him the opportunity?

He'd prove a fantastic leader on the field and around the club for the young guys we have coming through, this is something I think is lacking at the moment, we don't have that out and out leader that EVERYONE respects and admires around the club anymore, Glassy a great skipper and Coxy tries his heart out week in, week out but he's not of teh same mould on the field and Kerr has lost alot of respect for the way he has handled himself in an un-successful side this year, says alot about a man's character, how he carried himself through the tough times.
Ben would bring the extra bit of class we're sorely missing this year, a born leader that can have 3 to 4 good years of football ahead of him, he can fill the big hole we have in our side until the kids are ready to take that step up.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat and I doubt all of you people not wanting him back would do anything but love him and cheer him on if he were running around wearing the number 9 in '09. People are saying we need to grow a pair and move on, the hardest thing to do would be to take him back, that would take real balls. It's very easy to take the moral high ground and wish him away to another club.

And finally, if it came down to WCE not wanting to risk anything big, if he nominated us as the club he wanted to go to, we pick him up either late second round or early third round when we've passed on draft picks in years passed and he gets put on a performance based contract - minimum payment (same as rookies) plus match payments and incentives to do well on and off the field.

Any thoughts, good or bad on anything I've said would be most welcome.

Very well said.

I signed it.

I love Ben Cousins. If he is clean. I want him back.

The saddest thing about this year is the apparently lack of feeling / spark in the games.

I reckon Cuz would bring that back and lead by example. Noone could ever sad he wasn't the hardest working player on the field or the he didn't give 100% every single time he took to the field for the Eagles. How many players can you say that about this year?

I signed. I'm not hopeful, but it makes me feel a bit better anyway...

To people who are signing this. Do you love the club more than Ben Cousins? Because that to me is the way you should be thinking about this.

To people who are signing this. Do you love the club more than Ben Cousins? Because that to me is the way you should be thinking about this.

Sacking Ben Cousins left the footy club with a big hole that no one has been able to step up and fill, the seniors play we have don't seem to have it in them and the kids we're playing aren't ready to make the step.

Re-signing Ben would almost completely fill that hole, aswell as giving the kids a strong leader on the field and around the club, all we ever heard about Ben Cousins was that he was the hardest trainer, when he showed up :rolleyes:, the hardest runner and the most influential player around the place.

It's because I love the club I want to see him back in our colours, more than anything else, how can we let the best player in our club's history, a former captain, wear another jumper? It would be a great injustice to see Ben Cousins winning games off his own boot, while playing the Eagles.

I can't really see a down side to him coming back, it's a chance for reconciliation with Woosha and the rest of the coaching group, a chance at giving back to his teamamtes the successes they deserve, something that he took from them by taking the road he did and a chance for him to be at peace with himself if he can prove to everyone that he is still good enough and more importantly healthy enough to play AFL footy again.

Cannot believe that there are people stupid enough to want a player back who brought his club to its knees.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you people?
****ing oath. I support the club first.

That 'petition' is laughably stupid. Absolutely no point signing it, it means nothing.

Sacking Ben Cousins left the footy club with a big hole that no one has been able to step up and fill, the seniors play we have don't seem to have it in them and the kids we're playing aren't ready to make the step.

Re-signing Ben would almost completely fill that hole, aswell as giving the kids a strong leader on the field and around the club, all we ever heard about Ben Cousins was that he was the hardest trainer, when he showed up :rolleyes:, the hardest runner and the most influential player around the place.

It's because I love the club I want to see him back in our colours, more than anything else, how can we let the best player in our club's history, a former captain, wear another jumper? It would be a great injustice to see Ben Cousins winning games off his own boot, while playing the Eagles.

I can't really see a down side to him coming back, it's a chance for reconciliation with Woosha and the rest of the coaching group, a chance at giving back to his teamamtes, something that he took from them by taking th eorad he did (team success) and a chance for him to be at peace with himself if he can prove to everyone that he is still good enough and more importantly healthy enough to play AFL footy again.

You can't see a downside??? Does the term bent over and r*ped by the AFL if we stuff up again mean nothing to people???

Let's make this clear:
-The guy is a repeat offender despite numerous chances
- We're on sanctions at the moment, we screw up again and we will get a fine, loss of points or loss of draft picks or possibly all 3

Look what happened to Carlton when they lost draft picks when they were rebuilding, it set their development back 5 years and they are only starting to recover now. The price Carlton paid was also 3 wooden spoons and a couple of other near misses as well. If we were to lose out draft picks over the next few years we would be in a worse position that what Carlton was due to the upcoming draft concecessions offered to the 2 new expansion teams. If we lose draft picks with our rebuilding list, we could well beat Carlton's unwanted record of 3 wooden spoons.

People need to stop putting sentimality ahead of sensibility and realise that the short term benefits of redrafting Ben are far outweighed by the long term consequences we face by redrafting a serial offender

Was chatting to a guy who lives in Perth but is a Saints supporter whilst playing Big Footy poker last night. Says he knows Ben personally - and there is NO WAY he will play AFL for the Eagles again, that it is a mutual thing between Ben and the WCE - and "that is gospel".

You can't see a downside??? Does the term bent over and r*ped by the AFL if we stuff up again mean nothing to people???

Let's make this clear:
-The guy is a repeat offender despite numerous chances
- We're on sanctions at the moment, we screw up again and we will get a fine, loss of points or loss of draft picks or possibly all 3

Look what happened to Carlton when they lost draft picks when they were rebuilding, it set their development back 5 years and they are only starting to recover now. The price Carlton paid was also 3 wooden spoons and a couple of other near misses as well. If we were to lose out draft picks over the next few years we would be in a worse position that what Carlton was due to the upcoming draft concecessions offered to the 2 new expansion teams. If we lose draft picks with our rebuilding list, we could well beat Carlton's unwanted record of 3 wooden spoons.

People need to stop putting sentimality ahead of sensibility and realise that the short term benefits of redrafting Ben are far outweighed by the long term consequences we face by redrafting a serial offender

If the AFL doctors clear him, which they must, then you would think some responsibility would lie with those doctors should he relapse. I doubt a further stuff up on his behalf would result in sanctions being imposed on his next AFL club (including WCE). He has a medical condition.

Cousins is paying a penalty, has paid a penalty and will continue to for his drug use.

You're being a bit harsh on him angel.

If the AFL doctors clear him, which they must, then you would think some responsibility would lie with those doctors should he relapse. I doubt a further stuff up on his behalf would result in sanctions being imposed on his next AFL club (including WCE). He has a medical condition.

Cousins is paying a penalty, has paid a penalty and will continue to for his drug use.

You say it as if he had cancer or something- he's a drug addict.

Just forget about all the romanticism of having Benny back 'for old glory days' and think about what it would mean for the club.

Why should the responsbility lie with the AFL docotors? They aren't the one forcing him to take drugs. I know it's an addicition but end of the day its still a life choice he made and he is accountable for his actions.

Your right, there won't be any sanctions imposed on his next club if it isn't us. The reason? Non one else has the threat of sanctions hanging over their heads like we do. Cousins' repeat actions are only a part of the reason we have that threat hanging over our heads and its a culimation of other events which has left us in that situation. We need to be treading on egg shells right now and allowing a player back into the fold who is one of the reasons we're in this situation is not a move in the right direction.

End of the day the reality is WE CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER STUFF UP. As i said before we need to put sensibility ahead of sentimality and move on because the consqeuences of making a decision with out hearts instead of our heads will cripple the club for many, many years should things turn pear shaped.

Just forget about all the romanticism of having Benny back 'for old glory days' and think about what it would mean for the club.

Exactly, people need to weigh up now if it's really going to be worth it

Seeing Ben back in the gold for a few seasons

Vs

Potentially 3 or more wooden spoons for the club should he reoffend

The risk is not worth it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why should the responsbility lie with the AFL docotors? They aren't the one forcing him to take drugs. I know it's an addicition but end of the day its still a life choice he made and he is accountable for his actions.

Your right, there won't be any sanctions imposed on his next club if it isn't us. The reason? Non one else has the threat of sanctions hanging over their heads like we do. Cousins' repeat actions are only a part of the reason we have that threat hanging over our heads and its a culimation of other events which has left us in that situation. We need to be treading on egg shells right now and allowing a player back into the fold who is one of the reasons we're in this situation is not a move in the right direction.

End of the day the reality is WE CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER STUFF UP. As i said before we need to put sensibility ahead of sentimality and move on because the consqeuences of making a decision with out hearts instead of our heads will cripple the club for many, many years should things turn pear shaped.

I agree that Cousins is responsible for his own actions. If he stuffs up, I beleive the responsibility lies with him, but it will also be seen as a failure by the AFL doctors who ultimately deemed him fit to play.

I'm not worried about sanctions...it's that attitude that saw us lose Cousins and Collingwood retain Didak and Shaw. I envy Collingwoods approach in this regard.

I bet that if Cousins relapses that the club he is at will not be punished in any way.

I do see what you are saying, I just disagree.

Use pick 20 on him. Will have the priorty draft pick #18 anyway. It's not like the extra pick would be available if he were around haha.

Of course, its completely ridiculous to think theres even a smidge of a chance of him pullin on a coasters jumper again. I cant actually believe there is a petition going round. The heart definately says give him another go, but you would have to be with out a brain to not recognise the risks. We had the emotion of his comeback, that day he was definately the rock star on stage, the prodigal son who had returned. That was all blown, and it sucks how so many media personalities who had stated he should have been out for the year before his comeback were ultimately proven right. But noooo, we were the defending premiers trying to go for another crack, Benny boy was critical, even after all the shiz.

Personally, i hope he plays for the doggies next year. Good luck old chap

I agree that Cousins is responsible for his own actions. If he stuffs up, I beleive the responsibility lies with him, but it will also be seen as a failure by the AFL doctors who ultimately deemed him fit to play.

I'm not worried about sanctions...it's that attitude that saw us lose Cousins and Collingwood retain Didak and Shaw. I envy Collingwoods approach in this regard.

I bet that if Cousins relapses that the club he is at will not be punished in any way.

I do see what you are saying, I just disagree.

Your still missing the point:
-West Coast Eagles, officially warned that if we have another screw up we face sanctions by the AFL
-Collingwood and 14 other AFL clubs, no warning from the AFL and are still free to screw up as many tmes as they want

So if Cousins relapses next year while at:
-West Coast, we get r*ped by the AFL in the form of sanctions
-Any other club, he gets delisted and the club escapes any penatly

So yeah if he screws up at another club next year that club will escape penatly, he screws up with us and we are guaranteed to be sanctioned by the AFL

People have to realise we don't have the same luxury the other 15 AFL have, we are one screw up away from the club being crippled for many, many years to come.

Signing the petition is a completely pointless waste of time. He is not coming back.

When I began my love for footy, Ben Cousins WAS West Coast... but I was 12 years old then. I support the West Coast Eagles Football Club and the best thing for the club is to continue to move forward. How good has this year been where we haven't had to put up with any speculation/rumours/incidents off-field. Lets keep it that way.

Signing the petition is a completely pointless waste of time. He is not coming back.

When I began my love for footy, Ben Cousins WAS West Coast... but I was 12 years old then. I support the West Coast Eagles Football Club and the best thing for the club is to continue to move forward. How good has this year been where we haven't had to put up with any speculation/rumours/incidents off-field. Lets keep it that way.

Exactly, it's been a rehreshing change this year to be making the news for whats happening on field, rather then whats going on off field. Ok the news is still bad but at least we're not soiling our off field reputation any further

Your still missing the point:
-West Coast Eagles, officially warned that if we have another screw up we face sanctions by the AFL
-Collingwood and 14 other AFL clubs, no warning from the AFL and are still free to screw up as many tmes as they want

So if Cousins relapses next year while at:
-West Coast, we get r*ped by the AFL in the form of sanctions
-Any other club, he gets delisted and the club escapes any penatly

So yeah if he screws up at another club next year that club will escape penatly, he screws up with us and we are guaranteed to be sanctioned by the AFL

People have to realise we don't have the same luxury the other 15 AFL have, we are one screw up away from the club being crippled for many, many years to come.

I'm not missing the point, i'm disagreeing with you. I don't beleive the AFL will have the balls to punish a club specifically (including ours) for the actions of Cousins after clearing him to play (and with full knowledge of his previous medical condition). The AFL brand is the one taking the risk here in my opinion.

Just as a matter of interest, how long will we have these sanctions hanging over our head for?

We were put on notice mid 2007, 2008 has so far passed without incident, 2009 would be nearly 2 years since the threat from the AFL commission was put to us.

I can't find anywhere the AFL stating a definate time frame for this, surely it can't be indefinate, surely if we decided to re-draft Ben Cousins we would go to the AFL, show them what steps we have taken as a club to curb poor player beahviour, the AFL won't let Ben play without a near 100% guarantee that he is fit, well from their doctors and a guarantee from him that he will not transgress again. He gave that guarantee last year, but since then has shown he can stay off drugs for an extended period, has shown that he has made massive in-roads to recovery and has shown everyone that he has got his life back in track. Besides all of that, the transgression last year could have been put down to extenuating circumstances. I think both the AFL and WCE would admit that letting come back and play so soon in 2007 was a mistake, one that will most definately not be made again.

If WCE were absolute in the decision to take Ben in the draft, they'd put processes in place to make sure they were at minimal risk of losing anything, draft picks and premiership points included.

To think the club would not seek AFL advice and approval should they want to take Ben back is just rediculous.

If it were to happen, the Eagles would have dotted every I and crossed every T, there will be no stone left un-turned, the whole process will be very transparent and the AFL will play a huge part in him coming back to West Coast.

Of course, all of this is subject to Ben actually wanting back in, but I think the club should do everything it can to convince him to come back, a player of his standard should be a one-club player, he's a great of the game, regardless of what he's done off field.

I'm not missing the point, i'm disagreeing with you. I don't beleive the AFL will have the balls to punish a club specifically (including ours) for the actions of Cousins after clearing him to play (and with full knowledge of his previous medical condition). The AFL brand is the one taking the risk here in my opinion.

Do you really want to play chicken with the AFL? If they decide to impose the sanctions if Ben screws up again then we will be forced to cop them.

The risk is not worth it and if we play the defiant 'you don't have the balls to do it' card with the AFL, then it's most likely going to end in tears for us

Just as a matter of interest, how long will we have these sanctions hanging over our head for?

We were put on notice mid 2007, 2008 has so far passed without incident, 2009 would be nearly 2 years since the threat from the AFL commission was put to us.

I can't find anywhere the AFL stating a definate time frame for this, surely it can't be indefinate, surely if we decided to re-draft Ben Cousins we would go to the AFL, show them what steps we have taken as a club to curb poor player beahviour, the AFL won't let Ben play without a near 100% guarantee that he is fit, well from their doctors and a guarantee from him that he will not transgress again. He gave that guarantee last year, but since then has shown he can stay off drugs for an extended period, has shown that he has made massive in-roads to recovery and has shown everyone that he has got his life back in track. Besides all of that, the transgression last year could have been put down to extenuating circumstances. I think both the AFL and WCE would admit that letting come back and play so soon in 2007 was a mistake, one that will most definately not be made again.

If WCE were absolute in the decision to take Ben in the draft, they'd put processes in place to make sure they were at minimal risk of losing anything, draft picks and premiership points included.

To think the club would not seek AFL advice and approval should they want to take Ben back is just rediculous.

If it were to happen, the Eagles would have dotted every I and crossed every T, there will be no stone left un-turned, the whole process will be very transparent and the AFL will play a huge part in him coming back to West Coast.

Of course, all of this is subject to Ben actually wanting back in, but I think the club should do everything it can to convince him to come back, a player of his standard should be a one-club player, he's a great of the game, regardless of what he's done off field.

Yep.

To think that the AFL would slap a penalty on any club, when they know that this is an individual issue (as opposed to one which would require sanctioning of the club as well), seems completely unreasonable and simplistic.

Do you really want to play chicken with the AFL? If they decide to impose the sanctions if Ben screws up again then we will be forced to cop them.

The risk is not worth it and if we play the defiant 'you don't have the balls to do it' card with the AFL, then it's most likely going to end in tears for us

Yes, we are one of the strongest of sporting teams in Australian sport...I think we should back ourselves (and our players for that matter).

SEE COLLINGWOOD.... :mad: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back