Who is the AFL's biggest loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vaguely related question: Hasn't Adam Schneider played in five grand finals (if you count the drawn game in 2010) for just the one flag?

What's the record for the most losing grand final appearances? That would have to be close, surely? (Poor guy!)

Probably a few Geelong players who played in the losing sides of 89, 92, 94 and 95.

Ablett snr and probably a few other played in all 4. Paul Couch, Buddha Hocking and Bill Brownless were the other Geelong players that played in all 4 losing Grand Finals.

Last edited:
2Dwayne-Russell424-424x283.jpg

By some margin also.
Now hold on just a minute

Vaguely related question: Hasn't Adam Schneider played in five grand finals (if you count the drawn game in 2010) for just the one flag?

What's the record for the most losing grand final appearances? That would have to be close, surely? (Poor guy!)

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/allteams/grandfinals.html#09

Rene Kink played in 6 grand finals for 1 draw and 5 losses at Collingwood then Essendon (77-83). The poor guy did he knee and missed the victorious 84 grand final.

Several Geelong players (89-95) and Collingwood players (77-81) are up the list too.

Zac Dawson is the current leader with 1 draw and 3 losses (09-13).

Don't know about GF losses but I thought there was a bloke who played in 3 GFs in a row, was a GF then a replay then didn't play until the next years GF or something, anyone heard of this?

As of this weekend there will be 9 current 100 gamers who have not played a final.

Foley, Frawley, Dunn, Raines, White, Garland, McGuane, Adams, Thomas. Strong Melbourne/Richmond flavour.

Chris Newman played 232 games before his first final placing him first on that list of current players, ahead of most teammates and ex-teammates.

Rene Kink holds the record i believe..

As other have noted, renowned hairdresser Rene Kink has the record.

However special mention to Ray Byrne. Four Grand Finals zero flags.

Switched from Carlton to Collingwood at the end of 1978 after 81 good games for the Blues. Carlton went on to win 3 flags in 4 years.

Byrne basically left because of Ian Stewart, which caused Robert Walls. Ray Byrne thought he should ask to leave. Bad decision, he was a fine player, although the competition for spots in those Carlton teams was hot I am sure he would have snuck in for at least a flag or two if he had ignored what happened to Wallsy and stayed at the Blues.

http://blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Ray+Byrne

My WAG- Brent Moloney. Went from Melbourne to Brisbane at the wrong time. Is he still around? I thought I heard he was playing in the NEAFL?
won 10 games in his first season at the lions, thats decent.
he's been playing in the neafl for months, very likely to be delisted at seasons end if his contract expires. leppitch seems to dislike him as a player

You obviously haven't seen some names like Gary Ablett Senior et al before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the AFL's biggest loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back