Opinion Who is the best young gun... Daicos, Green, Gulden, Rowell or Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Serong is set to break an all time record this weekend if he gets over 20 possessions..

When Caleb Serong stamped himself as a star of the competition with a Glendinning-Allan Medal and freak goal in 2021, aided by Anthony Hudson’s ‘Serong, so right’ commentary, it marked his sixth straight game of 20 disposals or more. Three years on, as another western derby looms, that 20+ disposal streak is about to become a record-breaker. Serong has compiled a remarkable 69 consecutive matches of at least 20 touches, one short of equalling Jack Macrae’s all-time AFL/VFL mark of 70 games. The star Docker has the chance to set and hold a new mark for some time to come, with Adelaide’s Rory Laird (39 straight) the only player league-wide with a current streak at least half as long. The West Australian

Last edited:
Serong is set to break an all time record this weekend if he gets over 20 possessions..

When Caleb Serong stamped himself as a star of the competition with a Glendinning-Allan Medal and freak goal in 2021, aided by Anthony Hudson’s ‘Serong, so right’ commentary, it marked his sixth straight game of 20 disposals or more. Three years on, as another western derby looms, that 20+ disposal streak is about to become a record-breaker. Serong has compiled a remarkable 69 consecutive matches of at least 20 touches, one short of equalling Jack Macrae’s all-time AFL/VFL mark of 70 games. The star Docker has the chance to set and hold a new mark for some time to come, with Adelaide’s Rory Laird (39 straight) the only player league-wide with a current streak at least half as long. The West Australian
He's a gun and as good as any of them.

Sheezel and Daicos have each only had 4 sub 20 disposal games ever in their career.

1 of them was Sheezel playing deep forward and he had 18 and kicked 2.

I believe Sheezel and Daicos may be the only players in the comp to have had just 1 x sub 15 disposal game in their career with a decent game qualifier.

Daicos has only had 1, when McGuiness got a hold of him late last year. He had a 15 touch game against Melbourne earlier this year as the next closest.

Sheezel had an 11 touch game in his rookie season against GC in the wet.

To put that in perspective, Serong as a former RS winner and an ultra consistent one from the get go has had 17.

Last edited:
Sheezel and Daicos have each only had 4 sub 20 disposal games ever in their career.

I believe Sheezel and Daicos may be the only players in the comp to have had just 1 x sub 15 disposal game in their career with a decent game qualifier.

Daicos has only had 1, when McGuiness got a hold of him late last year. He had a 15 touch game against Melbourne earlier this year as the next closest.

To put that in perspective, Serong as a former RS winner and an ultra consistent one from the get go has had 17.
I think you might have your Norf goggles on if you believe Serong is not a better player than any of these other young players. I think he's overlooked because he goes about his craft with humility and a maturity that makes some not appreciate how young he is, especially when he has had to fill in for Pearce as captain.

Those couple of players are outstanding, no doubt. But Serong is an elite pure inside extractor.
That’s a far more difficult role than Nick and Harry. While that’s not understating how good all three
Of them are, Caleb’s game is a far tougher one; and breaking records in the process.
As Barry cable once said, the difference between polling 3 votes and 2 votes in a game can be the wearing of white ankle bandages.

Gulden is everything you want in an ideal centreman/winger who is young. Super young.

He hasn’t got the weight and upper torso strength and legs of steel yet…but he can run all day like a gazelle without blowing hard and getting zapped ..and is always attacking the football and delivers by foot with power and precision.

Nicky ..by contrast…avoids all contact and believes his value is in receiving and distributing the ball as quickly as he can before he gets hit.

I’d take 5 Guldens over 5 Nickys..any day of the week.

5 Nickys would be the worst backline maybe in the history of the game. They’ll all be waiting for the handball receive and leave the ball on the ground whilst just staring at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you might have your Norf goggles on if you believe Serong is not a better player than any of these other young players. I think he's overlooked because he goes about his craft with humility and a maturity that makes some not appreciate how young he is, especially when he has had to fill in for Pearce as captain.
Serong is nearly four years older than Sheeze. You'd hope he had more maturity... (don't get me wrong tho he's a gun too.)

Serong is nearly four years older than Sheeze. You'd hope he had more maturity... (don't get me wrong tho he's a gun too.)
I think it's fair to have Sheezel and Naicos in a tier of their own. Unbelievable players. We'll get the Freo peeps championing all our players but I think our list has a boatload of AA gun players, with no, that guy is the best in the comp level blokes. Jackson the only one that could hit that tier IMO but probably never full puts together the full package.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who is the best young gun... Daicos, Green, Gulden, Rowell or Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back