Who is the luckiest footballer ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

SOS = Owned by M.Lloyd

So what? SOS beat the likes of Ablett, Carey, Dunstall and Lockett constantly. And they are far better than Lloyd... and far better than he will ever will be. Lloyd started to reach his best when SOS was on the fall. I'll tell you this - Lloyd would get slaughtered by SOS at his prime.

And for the TOC argument, I will always rate Southby as the Full-back of the century. However, during SOS' era - he played on the some of the game's greatest forwards ever to pull on the boots, and beat them.

He'd be in the top 5 FBs of all time, but I have yet to see anyone on here actually come up with any reasons (and an actual argument) why some other FBs were better than him. Rather than just say "Regan > SOS", "I was laughing my arse off when SOS was named in the TOC" or "only Carlton supporters would say that"... please, oh please give us some reaons why. Seriously, has anyone here ever see Regan play? Doubtful, so it is very hard to say if he was any better. And did he play against better forwards than SOS encountered?

It's easy to criticise Silvagni's selection - but I have yet to see any reasons why these other FB warrant a place before him. And don't give me that BS about "he kept on scragging... breaking the rules..." because all FBs do that, including all the great ones too.

Became 'full back of the century' because he is the only backman I can ever remember who was allowed to literally tackle his opponent while they were going for a mark.

Looks like you haven't been watching too many full-backs. All of them scragged, held on and tugged on their opponents. You are making it out like SOS was the only FB who ever did this.

Regan > Scarlett > SOS

Scarlett? On what grounds?

Stil, it's hard to go past Fred Goldsmith - how many other full backs have won a Brownlow!!

Woewodin won a Brownlow - enough said. Brownlow medals should NEVER be an indication. SOS did come close in a few years however... but FBs main concern is to stop their opponents.

LMFAO @ Silvagni FB OTCentury..hahahaha.. That will always come up and make me laugh hysterically then stop in absolute wonder trying to imagine who he's been sucking off to be named in the TOC

Alright... please tell me where you actually rate SOS as far as FBs go and which FB should've got the nod ahead of him. Oh, and please tell me why so you actually back up your suggestions. So far people have written one-line replies when they saw "SOS" and the "TOC" together and not an actual argument of why they said this.

It would be very helpful if they did, and it would certainly back up their claims.

Yep, totally agree with that. Best full back over 100 years? Don't think so.

Ditto.

Originally posted by Thrawn

Alright... please tell me where you actually rate SOS as far as FBs go and which FB should've got the nod ahead of him. Oh, and please tell me why so you actually back up your suggestions. So far people have written one-line replies when they saw "SOS" and the "TOC" together and not an actual argument of why they said this.

It would be very helpful if they did, and it would certainly back up their claims.

Thrawn I enjoy your posts, and you speak a balanced argument.

But I see no need to 'back up my claims' for you as you agree that he is not worthy of FBOTC.

To be honest I can't say who is the best fullback of the century as my memory of the game only stretches back to around 1980 (i was 6 then).

But I 'enjoyed' watching bruce Doull far more. There was always the chance someone was going to mess with his headgear and he was going to crack it. And it was brilliant when he did. now obviously likeing the way a player plays doesn't earn FB OTC honours, but I despised watching Silvagni and never ever saw why he was rated highly.

And personally i though he was better as a foward, though I was still pretty young in those days too.

I think Silvagni is a product of the Golden Boy syndrome, and it's carried him miles, though not as far as G. Lyon.

Where is Doully these days?

I think most would agree Silvagni was a very good fullback. The problem I have with him is the incredible leeway he was given by umpires when wrestling with his opponent.

I recall one game at Princes Park against the Swans when Silvagni virtually had Lockett in a wrestling hold, yet no free kick was given. This was observed frequently and often commented on by the media. However, it seemed to make little difference.

'Best' is always very subjective, especially when considering defenders. However some of the great full backs I can think of at the moment include Fred Goldsmith, Geoff Southby, David Dench, Kelvin Moore.

As for Brownlows, I think they have some merit. For some players (eg: Woewodin, Wilson) it simply reflects they had one great year in an otherwise average career. For others (eg: Skilton, Stewart, Greig, Moore) it reflects that they were champion players. Goldsmith was widely acknowledged as one of the best full backs of that time, and used to have great battles with Coleman.

Originally posted by SaveFeriss

Where is Doully these days?

He's a mailman. Have seen him around Eltham a few times. However, Doull was not a FB - more of a back pocket type.

Absolute rubbish.

Uh... no it isn't. There were some matches he didn't have good days against Lockett - but there were more days where SOS beat him than not. And he has a pretty good record against Carey, Ablett and Dunstall. This is why is was rated highly as a Full-back. Not only did he provide leadership and made his fellow backman stand tall, but he usually beat his man and some of them include the game's greatest forwards.

That is not rubbish, my friend. In fact, would you like me to post stats where Silvagni played against these players? You will also see that he had the wood on Carey - howver, SOS has played on Lockett more times where Lockett said that SOS was his best opponent. Such kudos from perhaps the best FF of all time should warrant a mention.

That said, I still reckon Southby should've got the gig in the TOC.

Is it true SOS played forward a lot early in his career?

No. He was a forward in his pre-VFL days however... but his kicking style is not suited to that role. Can kick a bag of goals, but he's a much better player in defense as he has shown throughout his whole career.

And on TOTC....

Dench>Southby>K Moore>Langford>Silvagni

I reckon Wayne Carey summed it up perfectly after his retirement when asked who the best defender of his era was. He nominated Jakovich. When asked why not SOS - Carey clearly stated that SOS was a good spoiler but didn't hurt you (ie set up attack from defence like Jakovich did so often).

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
Why was Southby full back of the Carlton team of the century?

default.asp

Wrong again.

Originally posted by yob
Aaron Keating. One of those 7 games he played for us was a premiership.

Another vote for Clark's brother.

6 games for 26 disposals, 47 hit outs, 1 goal and 1 Premiership.

The fact he played in Adelaide's 1997 AFL Premiership and then Norwood's SANFL Premiership the week after was the ultimate p1sstake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Lidge
I reckon Wayne Carey summed it up perfectly after his retirement when asked who the best defender of his era was. He nominated Jakovich. When asked why not SOS - Carey clearly stated that SOS was a good spoiler but didn't hurt you (ie set up attack from defence like Jakovich did so often).
What you neglect to mention is that the infamous Carey vs Jakovich battles were usually CHF v CHB. A lot easier to attack from half back than on the last line. When SOS started playing from CHB in his last couple of seasons, he was a potent attacking weapon.

For the bulk of the time Carey was at CHF, SOS was at FB and when Carey went to FF, SOS played a bit at CHB. I certainly know they matched up on each other in big games and SOS did extremely well against him.

If you are going to quote anyone, I reckon Plugger's assertion that SOS was the best FB carries more weight than Carey's.

Dench>Southby>K Moore>Langford>Silvagni

Silvagni>Southby>Dench>Moore>

As a kid I had a Carlton jumper with No. 20 on it, but I'd say Silvagni shaded Southby overall, even though Southby must have been close to the classiest full-back of all time. Silvagni had a freakish knack for stopping almost certain goals: marks when well out of position, goal-line tackles. Dench was a good player, but from my completely impartial :))) perspective I would rate him behind the other two.

Carey clearly stated that SOS was a good spoiler but didn't hurt you (ie set up attack from defence like Jakovich did so often).

Did Carey ever have a day out against SOS? Yet the one time he played against Carlton with SOS out - in a pre-season game - he kicked, what, nine?

Originally posted by Outoftheblue
As a kid I had a Carlton jumper with No. 20 on it, but I'd say Silvagni shaded Southby overall, even though Southby must have been close to the classiest full-back of all time. Silvagni had a freakish knack for stopping almost certain goals: marks when well out of position, goal-line tackles. Dench was a good player, but from my completely impartial :))) perspective I would rate him behind the other two.

I think Silvagni's advantage was that no other defender in the history of the game was allowed to strangle his opponent like a boa constrictor!

Originally posted by NMWBloods
Totally agree there. Became 'full back of the century' because he is the only backman I can ever remember who was allowed to literally tackle his opponent while they were going for a mark.

Spot on.

If Jason Dunstall were a woman (and I know that could be debated), SOS would be up on sexual assault for the way he used to grope him

Dorks

Seriously u guys are the biggest dorks going around, all u guys do is sit on the computer and talk about insignificent footy matters. seriously get a life, no life

Re: Dorks

Originally posted by AGSV scout
Seriously u guys are the biggest dorks going around, all u guys do is sit on the computer and talk about insignificent footy matters. seriously get a life, no life

Was that directed at the 131 members currently online?

Re: Dorks

Originally posted by AGSV scout

Stephen "Luckiest FB OTC" Silvagni????

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the luckiest footballer ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back