Who is the most likeable player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, so maybe I'm biased, but I'd have to say Michael Barlow. Even before his broken leg. In fact, probably after his 2nd or 3rd game I think he might have taken this mantle.

Close behind I have Aaron Sandilands, Matthew Pavlich and Adam Goodes. Before Akermanis shot his mouth off I would have had Brad Johnson in the top 3.

These guys are all great role models, don't complain to the umpires, top notch players and the sort of people you'd want your daughters to bring home.

Are you kidding?

I ****ing hate Pavlich and Goodes with a passion. Nothing to do with ability, both just come across as A grade ********s.

From Collingwood, I don't see how anyone could hate Brent Macaffer or Nathan Brown.

From other clubs and into the past decade or so, Simon Black stands out by a mile, followed by Lenny Hayes, David Wirrpunda, Matthew Richardson, Robert Harvey, Craig Bolton, Sean Dempster(though I was the only one that liked him :p), James Hird Luke Hodge, Brett Kirk, Brad Green and daylight. I'd have Lockyer in that group with Hayes et al too. Nathan Brown is by far the nicest AFL player I've ever met though. Just has so much charisma about him.

EDIT: Seems I'm by myself on the Pav thing. :eek:

In fairness I won't list any EFC players.. But if I could.. Adam Ramanauskas. (remember him?)

I really like Kenelly (Sydney) he seems to be a great bloke.
Liam Jurrah also is a great player to watch.
Pavlich is also really good..
But if we can include recently retired players I want to have Kirk (Sydney) as my number one, though Tom Harley is a great guy too!

Ramanauskas lost me over that issue of him reporting the bloke who gave him a spray about being chemo kid or something. I can't remember who it was , but Ramma had just given this player a spray about not having a flag, or a premiership medallion, or dipping out in the prelim (it may have been a Doggies player) and the fellow came back at him with the chemo kid comment. Ok, it was poor taste, but hey Ramma, if you dish it out, you gotta take it in return.

EDIT: Seems I'm by myself on the Pav thing. :eek:

Nah, I'm with you. I've always thought of him as an arrogant tosser. Just because he carried a shit Freo outfit for years doesn't make him a top bloke. Just makes him a gun footballer.

Ramanauskas lost me over that issue of him reporting the bloke who gave him a spray about being chemo kid or something. I can't remember who it was , but Ramma had just given this player a spray about not having a flag, or a premiership medallion, or dipping out in the prelim (it may have been a Doggies player) and the fellow came back at him with the chemo kid comment. Ok, it was poor taste, but hey Ramma, if you dish it out, you gotta take it in return.

Disagree with this. There is a line which you don't cross and this is why the vilification laws are in place. Stick to the confines of what is allowed and it is open slather. Cross those boundaries and you deserve to get punished.

I'm sure you wouldn't be against someone like Wirripanda coming out against a player that called him a stupid black **** in reteliation to Wirri saying he was a shite footballer or a squib.

Disagree with this. There is a line which you don't cross and this is why the vilification laws are in place. Stick to the confines of what is allowed and it is open slather. Cross those boundaries and you deserve to get punished.

I'm sure you wouldn't be against someone like Wirripanda coming out against a player that called him a stupid black **** in reteliation to Wirri saying he was a shite footballer or a squib.

Agree with the principle of your comment, but I'm not sure I agree with the detail. Chemo kid is not personal vilification based on race, age, gender, disability or sexuality, which I think are categories that discrimination is based on. I thought he was pretty weak and it should have been a wake up call for Rama ala people in glass houses. Not a big issue though, happy to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the principle of your comment, but I'm not sure I agree with the detail. Chemo kid is not personal vilification based on race, age, gender, disability or sexuality, which I think are categories that discrimination is based on. I thought he was pretty weak and it should have been a wake up call for Rama ala people in glass houses. Not a big issue though, happy to disagree.
It's a life-threatening medical condition. To me, a sledge on the basis of that is 100x worse than one on the basis of racem and sledging on the basis of race is absolutely dispicable.

Says it all for me.

Luke's abit of a smartass but he is ok..His brother Sam doesn't shut up..;)

I have a friend who works at the Royal Brisbane Children's Hospital.

Luke Power constantly shows up there with zero fuss or fanfare to cheer up the sick kids.

i'm not sure how anyway could think pavlich is an arrogant tosser? i know i'm biased but i've met him and obviously heard him talk through the media a shitload as well seeing as i live in wa, he never really comes across as arrogant, he seems humble tbh, and to stick with a club with such little success being such a great player he has to go up in your books for loyalty surely?
i think jimmy bartel still must be one of the nicest guys around and he's had about as much success as you can. from freo i think micky barlow still seems so green in front of the media and its refreshing, he must nearly be the least self-involved player in the system

I met the North Melbourne 2010 squad earlier this year, I may be a little biast, but I reckon Boomer Harvey is a real likeable bloke. when I was talking to them, I didn't feel as though I was talking to footy stars, I felt like I was talking to your average human being. thats how down-to-earth they were when I chatted to them.

But out of Non North melbourne though, I reckon that Gary Ablett Jnr is a nice bloke. I've never met him, but just going by what i've seen in interviews, and also Brad Johnson from the Bulldogs seems pretty decent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the most likeable player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back