Opinion Who is Your Favourite Hawk of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point....Though if you had of been around to witness the 70's then Matthews, Knights & Tuck would put the list of blokes you named to shame!....Ole Friar Tuck probably played his best footy between 1976-1982, so you just missed out on seeing the peak of his career....FWIW. He would often rack up to 40 possies a game, which was characterised with long runs through the middle of the ground, followed by a booming 60 meter torp that went post high through the sticks!....He was a GUN who could also take a speckie & even played Centre Half Forward in 1981....On his day, an absolute match-winner!

Barney, Knights & Tuck taught Diper, Ayres, Mew, Derm & Dunny how to win football matches!

Sounds awesome. I don't remember that part of Tucky's career. I would have loved to see Hudson play too, and Lethal in his prime. But such is life.

My favourite sportsman are the guys that made everyone else around them look like kids/amateurs... Bolt, Slater, Jordan, James, Federer. We are lucky to have had our fair share of these types of players in the brown and gold too.

Yoda, my name is. Teach these younglings about Hawk history, we must.

All well & Good....You can lead a horse to water.......

Some people prefer to gauge a players worth purely based upon ostensible facts & for mine that's fair enuf.....One's heroes are often times commensurate with the era in which we grew up.....Historical perspective is not everyone's cup of tea & nor should people be forced into taking heed of it if they so choose!

Sounds awesome. I don't remember that part of Tucky's career. I would have loved to see Hudson play too, and Lethal in his prime. But such is life.

My favourite sportsman are the guys that made everyone else around them look like kids/amateurs... .

You would have loved to have seen Barney then....Unfortunately I only got to see Huddo in 1977, so with you on that score!

All well & Good....You can lead a horse to water.......

Some people prefer to gauge a players worth purely based upon ostensible facts & for mine that's fair enuf.....One's heroes are often times commensurate with the era in which we grew up.....Historical perspective is not everyone's cup of tea & nor should people be forced into taking heed of it if they so choose!

Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything, merely pointing people in the right direction. Sometimes, people simply need to be set on the right path, when their own inexperience has led them astray a little. Not giving full and absolute recognition to the influence that Friar had on Hawthorn's development and ultimate dominance in the 70s and 80s is akin to saying "I don't really rate Black Sabbath's place in the history of heavy metal music', or 'I'm not sure what influence Tolkien had on the fantasy sub-genre.' People need their eyes opened sometimes....

Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything, merely pointing people in the right direction. Sometimes, people simply need to be set on the right path, when their own inexperience has led them astray a little. Not giving full and absolute recognition to the influence that Friar had on Hawthorn's development and ultimate dominance in the 70s and 80s is akin to saying "I don't really rate Black Sabbath's place in the history of heavy metal music', or 'I'm not sure what influence Tolkien had on the fantasy sub-genre.' People need their eyes opened sometimes....

Pretty sure most people have garnered the principal from the points you are trying to make here Roddy.....Reckon that was the case probably a good 3 posts earlier!.... I'm no fan of Heavy Metal, so your on your own with that one. But I have heard of Black Sabbath....Sumfin bout a Sunday gone Wrong?:D

You sound like the minister at the church that I was bought up in for my whole life, but decided to leave last year. He used to talk as though there is only one "right" way to do things, and a "correct" way to view things. I'm pretty happy to be free of that way of thinking, so I might just continue to have my own opinions and experiences. Thanks anyway mate!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who is Your Favourite Hawk of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back