Opinion Who is Your Favourite Hawk of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Crawford and Simon Crawshay were luminaries in the number. ;)
yes, makes you think the #23 can be worn by mere mortals as well as the football gods

I always had a soft spot for Tucky, in fact I proudly wore the #17 on my jumper as a teenager. This might sound a little overly sentimental but in some crazy sense it was hard as a young bloke who followed the Hawks not to think of Tucky as a kind of father figure. Maybe it had something to do with the beard, but for so many years he led the team and very, very rarely played a bad game.
The term Mr. Reliable gets thrown around a bit, but in Tucky's case it was absolutely spot on. He never won much of the kudos either with so many flashier players around him, but for me Tucky WAS Hawthorn of its glory era.

After saying all that, switching the choice from sentimental favorite to performance-based favorite I've got to go with Dunstall. I just can't ever recall him putting a foot wrong for our club, he was the most consistently brilliant player we've had or at least the most consistently brilliant since the early 80's when I started following footy.
But by far the BEST thing about Dunstall was that despite that brilliance, despite how shocking easily it would've been for him to self-indulge and go after all the records and demand more of the limelight he always remained a Team First kind of bloke and probably one of the most humble superstars the game has ever seen. Its almost impossible to think of a better example of the kind of player and person you'd want to see a young player trying to emulate.

I can't split them - Matthews, Conan, Buckenara, Dermie, Bung, Hall, Mew, Langford, Collins, Crawford, Tucky, Anderson, Pritchard, Condon, Platten, Morrisey, Scott (Of the Don variety), Kanga, Dipper etc etc
Current guys - ROugh, Hodgey, Birch, whole team

This is an impossible question. To me part of being the best ever, after a remarkable career, is dedication to your club. Having said that I realize footy is way different to what it was when I started following the Mighty Hawks. However, a young man I met, at my house in the 50s, is still with the club today, and remains one of my all time greats, that's Graham Arthur - captain of our first premiership. Today, and in there past there have been many, but I believe Sam Mitchell will be one that will comfortably wear the "One of the Greatest Hawks Ever."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1970's - Matthews & Knights
1980's - Dunstall, Dermott, Langford, Dipper
1990's - Dunstall, Crawford, Holland
2000's - Barker, Croad, Chick, Hay.
Current - Hodge, Cyril, Birchall, Suckling, Mitchell, Burgers

All time favourite player... J Dunstall. No question.

Last edited:
This thread is good for working out how old everyone is :thumbsu:

My all time favorite Hawk is Michael Tuck

I've been going to games since the mid 70's
I went to my first game in 1976, I love the hawks, my favourite Hawk is Tuck and I love Aerosmith. You're alright by me mate!

Pritchard for me.

Haven't read anyone really mention him yet. Was a great player and underrated as he was playing amongst many Hawthorn greats.

Due to being born in 88, I missed the golden era of the 80's but thanks to being a football nerd when I was younger (and still am proudly) I watched many games my old man had taped and read as much hawthorn history as I could. Was obsessed haha.

So from when I started properly viewing matches, 93-4 onwards from memory my 90's favorites were Platten, Dunstall, Crawford, Salmon & Langford.

Late 90s - early 2000's were Crawford, Chick, Lekkas, Barker, Croad & Tallis.

Changa and Buddy were favs few years ago.

Currently - Hodgey (since he debuted pretty much), Sammy, Rioli, Rough & Birchall.

All time for me I will have to go with Hodge just over Platten & Crawford.

Far out it's tough choosing favourites!

Haven't read anyone really mention him yet. Was a great player and underrated as he was playing amongst many Hawthorn greats.

Due to being born in 88, I missed the golden era of the 80's but thanks to being a football nerd when I was younger (and still am proudly) I watched many games my old man had taped and read as much hawthorn history as I could. Was obsessed haha.

So from when I started properly viewing matches, 93-4 onwards from memory my 90's favorites were Platten, Dunstall, Crawford, Salmon & Langford.

Late 90s - early 2000's were Crawford, Chick, Lekkas, Barker, Croad & Tallis.

Changa and Buddy were favs few years ago.

Currently - Hodgey (since he debuted pretty much), Sammy, Rioli, Rough & Birchall.

All time for me I will have to go with Hodge just over Platten & Crawford.

Far out it's tough choosing favourites!
As supporters we have been very lucky to support such a great club with so many champion players!!!!

You know what is hard about this.. I could have had about twenty or more in my favourites but I just took the most obvious in my mind.

It is a fabulous thing to have so many likeables and so great an affinity to one great club and champions of them to boot.

But not just the champs. I followed hard in the lean times and I kinda remember them as well.

Just wanted to let those know that they aren't forgotten and I really enjoyed them being a part of the Hawk family. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who is Your Favourite Hawk of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back