Who is your next superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just wondering after having had a llook at the new ressies comp, who from your untried listed players will be the next ones to spring up and be the new Hird?Carey?Dunstall?
in other words
DEADSET LEGEND!

After seeing the mighty BoxHill Hawks 9hey something from Hawthorn has gotta make me happy)
rolleyes.gif

My pick is Luke Mcpharlin. This boy runs like the wind jumps like croad and has moves that barry white (betcha no one under twenty gets THAT one) would like to call his own.

Also note to any selectors from the Hawks who may just happen to visit this site, tallis whould go and Malseed should come in.

So cmon guys, who is out there that we will ask,"why didnt we draft him"? this time next year. :)

Shinboner - I'm with you 100% on Lange and Makepeace.
Also look out for Woodley (Byron's cousin) and Spaull (when he's over his injuries)

Ryan Fitzgerald will be HUGE in seasons to come.

I hope he does not consider his tenure with the Swans as an 'apprenticeship' like so many other players do.

But it does not matter - this guy will be a superstar whoever he ends up playing with.

Bloodstained Angel it is a bit early to tell on Fitzgerald who has at least one more year on his contract - the players wanting to leave Sydney thing gets overblown. I understand he's very happy in Sydney.

Thanks Don

It nice to know the boy likes it up here but it is a bit of a 'hit and miss' affair with players coming up to Sydney.

Some love it and take to the relaxed lifestyle with little or no media scrutiny of football with real gusto. I guess Tony Lockett was the best example of this, but there are also so many guys who have real trouble making the adjustment and we have had some real doozies recently, Mark Kinnear and Will Sangster to name a couple of recent examples.

I also understand Scott Russell has done it a bit tough up here since transferring to from Collingwood (for the same reasons)

But it would be nice to be able to hang to a couple of promising youngsters every now and then.

Bloodstained Angel,

Schwass has done pretty well for you! I saw his great running goal vs St. Kilda, I leapt from my seat when I saw it....it brought back plenty of memories.

Bomber,

I hope Brady does better than Jade too. But to be fair to Jade, he's had a horror run with injuries. Rawlings may play his first game for the year vs Richmond this Friday.

At the Brisbane Lions, Jonathon Brown looks to have the goods as either a centre-half forward or centre-half back. Good judges, such as Ray Jordan believe he would have been taken in the Top Ten of last year's November draft, has not Brisbane secured him under the father-son rule. His father played 50 odd games for Fitzroy in the 70's. The Lions believe he will make his senior debut before halfway through this year. At the moment he is recovering from a broken jaw, sustained in one of the pre-season matches.

Steve Kenna, Lions rookie list player.
have seen him play for the last few years. last saw him at a Lions intra club a few weeks ago.
Like a young Michael Voss, same fearless player, accurate silky skills, disposals actually hit the mark, and can kick a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Shannon Motlop has a lot of potential, and there is a young ruckman called Lindsay Smith (currently injured) to watch for in coming years. With Brady Rawlings, I know he is young, but I don't think he showed enough last year that warrants a future star status.

He's been on the list for a couple of years, but Chad Fletcher's looking pretty good so far....

Michael Gardiner's not a rookie either, but watch out, he WILL be a superstar injury permitting.

Can't praise Haselby enough, but I've gone on about him before.....

WC rookies- Darren Glass and Darren Gaspar are pretty good. Adam Hunter will be once he bulks up a bit.....

ccridley, oh wouldn't it be nice to have a brother - brother rule, especially for us Kangaroos.

My Pick is Troy Makepeace, I stated this first over a month ago.

Adam Lange will become a cult figure at the Kangaroos, he just needs to beat the crap out of (sorry, place a good hip and shoulder) some Superstar (fall guy) Full Forward.

LongJohn

Totally agree on the brother - brother thing, we would have snavelled Byron's brother as well - that duo would scare a few forwards over the next few years!!

Cheers

Gonzo

Shinboner

Of course, how could I forget Schwatta and I might add Shannon Grant has been great for you guys as well.

This trade really was a 'win-win' for both of us don't you think ?

Barring injury or suspension Shannon Grant could give the Brownlow a big shake ths year...

Shinboner

Of course, how could I forget Schwatta and I might add Shannon Grant has been great for you guys as well.

This trade really was a 'win-win' for both of us don't you think ?

Barring injury or suspension Shannon Grant could give the Brownlow a big shake ths year...

Bloodstained Angel

It hasn't been easy for Grant because Schwass was an idol amongst North fans and it's perceived that if Grant didn't come, Schwass would still be in the royal blue and white. So he's been pretty much the target of the boo-boys. But if you take a step back and forget the Schwass situation, then yes, I agree with you....it has been a win-win situation.

I'm not sure that Grant would be my tip as a potential North Brownlow medalist though....but if I did have to put a dollar on a North player, my money would be on Peter Bell. But I'd love to see Schwass win a Brownlow with your team.

Still, when I watch the Bloods, I do keep an eye on how Schwass is going (I always hope that he has a good game....just as long as it isn't against us) and in the meantime, I hope that you get plenty of goals out of Fruity Allison.

For us, Lenny Hayes definitely has the potential to become anything in the future. He has been compared to a a young Robert Harvey which is very unfair on a young player but I can't help feeling the same thing.

And of our pickups from the 99 national draft, Cadyn Beetham is very highly regarded and acquitted himself quite well in our first two ansett cup matches. Unfortunately the day after our match against the Dees, he was struck down with appendicitis and still has another month on the sidelines.

Longjohn two points:

1. Is that the same Shannon Grant who didn't even the touch the football (at all) in the first half of the Ansett GF? Then again you only play Essendon once this year so he must be a Brownlow shot.

2. The "fall guy" FF stuff is pathetic cry-baby BS. Watch the Ansett GF again and see "Mighty" Mick Martyn completely out-thought, out-muscled and out-played - oh and what the end of the 2nd quarter where North receive three (forget soft) inexplicable frees in a row dead in front (the commentators were most perplexed) to keep the TV audience for another 1/2 of footy.

I've had a lot of respect for what Pagan and North have achieved over the 90's (except last year).

I also think you've got some good players coming through - I've got Motlop, Lange, Makepeace & Carey in my Fantasy footy squad (and I wish I'd put Bell in as well instead of Crawford).

And I generally find North supporters on this forum to be well informed. But Lloyd stuff... jeez ...there's always an exception to every rule I suppose - what exactly would the guy have to do to get respect from guys like you?

Dutch.

Dutchman

Sadly, I think you're going to hear a lot more anti-Lloyd crap in the next few years. It just seems that when a player is clearly on a level above the rest of the competition, people want to tear them down.

Lloyd is, in the words of Bruce McAveney, something special. North fans will know this with Carey, and likewise, Geelong fans with Ablett...when the ball goes forward into the area of these players, there is just a feeling of excitement and anticipation from the fans. It's the same with Lloyd......you just want to see what he's going to do next. These players aren't goal kicking machines like Dunstall or Lockett....these players can do the extraordinary...you just sit back and think, "sheesh....HOW did he do that????". Mind you, I hope Lloyd keeps these doing these things against teams other than North.

I went to the North vs Richmond game last night and Richmond have their roar meter going. The really pathetic thing was that the Tigers made more noise booing Carey than in cheering their own team. I just can't imagine why anyone would have more hate for an opposition player than support for their own team.

Top call Shinboner

Feel the same way about Carey. Prior to 99 I've watched him beat us in 20 minutes of brilliant footy 4 or 5 times in games we've otherwise deserved to win - just awesome.

He's got to be carrying a fairly significant injury at present as he's not been himself at all since you guys scraped the semi-final AC win against Brisbane. This is a serious bugger as I've got him in the Fantasy footy team!

Actually you folks did well in the last qtr against the Tiges - I thought they'd probably do you with Carey done, Stevens missing and you generally in a slump - but Peter Bell is very, very good - I think he's as good as Mercuri and that is a serious compliment.

Cheers
Dutch

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is your next superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back