Who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard on the rumour mill that Cox may be GC bound??

While I doubt it's true, let's talk hyperthetical for a second..........is he worth the #1 pick?? Garuntee us Bennell???

Doubt it ..... although Bluey would know Coxy well plus N Krakouer is linked to GC and Bluey coached at Claremont while Nathan was coming through under age grades ??

[/b]
Dick is a twig, played with a strapped shoulder last night and hurt it again. Looks like he needs a second shoulder reco.

First off I doubt it would be Dick, second I'm surprised you don't rate him - has a massive future for us and has shown a lot despite being a "twig".

LOL it was mentioned by me you flog and people only believed me after it was reported in the paper at Round fiveish ah silly boys

Okay, no it wasn't, someone said Dennis Commetti said it, and even if it was you, that still doesn't change the fact that it was mentioned weeks ago.

You've never posted one sensible thing on this site yet mate, just give up. Remember trying to get everyone to believe Seaby to Collingwood "had been a done deal" for weeks and also that Hardwick had offered Nicoski a second shot at Richmond. :eek:

What is Dean Cox worth? 1 Top 3 pick and a Top 10?

It honestly depends mostly on who would be targetting him, St Kilda for example would probably offer that much for him, but a bottom eight team would probably offer less as they need him less. It's just the luck of the draw as to who will be targetting him.

Why? What if Weedon's form picks up towards the end of this year and he has a big pre-season?

I hope it does, but IMO he seems a while away yet.

Problem is we drafted a number of kids this year to fill a hole in our squad, but these kids won't be making an impact for a while yet, so the problems will continue in the short term.

I'm more interested in who we should unload. List cloggers, player types we have surplus of... that way we get good value and don't lose anything in return. Similar to offloading Luke Ball or Mark Williams.

I know it won't happen though because Woosha's favourites are the ones who fall into that category.

It's a shame because we'd good get some real nice picks in return but you'd need to take a cutthroat approach which is only likely with a new coach.

I'm more interested in who we should unload. List cloggers, player types we have surplus of... that way we get good value and don't lose anything in return. Similar to offloading Luke Ball or Mark Williams.

I know it won't happen though because Woosha's favourites are the ones who fall into that category.

It's a shame because we'd good get some real nice picks in return but you'd need to take a cutthroat approach which is only likely with a new coach.

Like who?

Like who?

Ebert, Priddis etc, but yeah they wont go.

These are more likely:

Butler, we have enough HBFers and Butler may get us something. M Brown, we have a number of talls, either in the team or developing in the WAFL and he just can't find a suitable position in the team....We would get some good offers for him.

Like who?

Ebert, Priddis etc, but yeah they wont go.

These are more likely:

Butler, we have enough HBFers and Butler may get us something. M Brown, we have a number of talls, either in the team or developing in the WAFL and he just can't find a suitable position in the team....We would get some good offers for him.

I agree with Pridis and M Brown. Both would attract interest and some value, especially with a pick upgrade.

M Brown for Yarran?

I love Butler but his injury record isn't great, would struggle to get a 2nd rounder for him and would be better off keeping. Straight swap for N Krauker would probably be about right I suppose.:(

Butler No. Rosa Yes.

If we could get Yarran for Brown I would be all for that, but that is very unlikely and we can just play him at CHB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butler No. Rosa Yes.

If we could get Yarran for Brown I would be all for that, but that is very unlikely and we can just play him at CHB.

I was all for trading Brown until I read about Glass. I think the end is very near for Glass and I wouldnt be at all surprised if 2011 is his last year. Given the need to play 3 talls down back and the demand for run and carry out of the backline then Brown becomes an important ingredient. As it is likely that neither Wilkes nor Spangher will be in WC colours next year, WC really cant afford to trade out Brown as well.

Actually given his athleticism, strength and speed he is the prototype player you need running out of defence - now IF ONLY he could improve his disposal he would become a very important player.

I think drafting a KPP is much more likely from WC. We may have a number of players who will be retiring, traded or delisted - Hansen, Lynch, Spanger, Notte, Brown, Glass, Wilkes, Schoefield and maybe even Cox. Obviously not all of these players will go at once, but over the course of this year and the next the majority will.
Everyone knows it takes time for KPP players to develop, that's why I think the we will target probably 2 KPP at this years draft.
I still hope that Notte can fill out and become our FF. Brad Smith took a long time to develop into an oustanding FF (obviously injury ruined AFL career). Got my fingers crossed anyway.
Hopefully one of Weedon, Neates, or Broome can develop to become that quick goal kicking forward with good defensive pressure that we need also.

The problem I see with Brown is he always seems rushed but I think he should play down back.

As for Kids or Mature age - rather stick with kids

as for the draft - less attention on athletic ability and more attention on footballers - A full forward please then best avail

I think drafting a KPP is much more likely from WC. We may have a number of players who will be retiring, traded or delisted - Hansen, Lynch, Spanger, Notte, Brown, Glass, Wilkes, Schoefield and maybe even Cox. Obviously not all of these players will go at once, but over the course of this year and the next the majority will.
Everyone knows it takes time for KPP players to develop, that's why I think the we will target probably 2 KPP at this years draft.
I still hope that Notte can fill out and become our FF. Brad Smith took a long time to develop into an oustanding FF (obviously injury ruined AFL career). Got my fingers crossed anyway.
Hopefully one of Weedon, Neates, or Broome can develop to become that quick goal kicking forward with good defensive pressure that we need also.

Hopefully? We are short on smalls in both quality and depth. If we go after a KPP before the third round I'll be annoyed. If we go after a KPF with our first pick, I'll have a fit.

Hopefully? We are short on smalls in both quality and depth. If we go after a KPP before the third round I'll be annoyed. If we go after a KPF with our first pick, I'll have a fit.

It will depend on IF WC trade and what they receive - however if history repeats itself (and given WC's connservative cnature it is likely to) then I agree with your sentiment about their "priorities" come this years draft.

Will actually be interesting should WC come last and say Day and Parker are available, just who WC would choose given the crock of shit they always trot out "we select the best available".

Yes hopefully, we have drafted some good players in Weedon, Broome and Neates, I also think Strijk may develop into a damaging HFF. I think you'd be having more of a fit if at some stage next year we had a few injuries to our KPP's and had lost for eg. Glass, Hansen Lynch, Spanger at the end of the season. Imagine going into games with Kennedy and Mckenzie injured - you think we're bad now, imagine that. Kennedy has taken 4 or 5 years to play good footy, Mckenzie is getting there as is Schoefield.
They have all taken time!
Unless you want fitting for years on end you might you might want to consider that we may well target KPP's.

Adding to that last post, I had a look at the key position players on our list and in my opinion our best two KPP players are/or have been Glass and Kennedy. They were taken higher in the draft than any other KPP's on our list.
This suggests that in general you get what you pay for. If we target KPP's with 4th, 5th and 6th round picks, we will probably get what we payed for.

We are top heavy. Injuries to KPP's doesn't concern me in the short term.

Look at Fremantle.

We are only top heavy because of injuries or interupted/non-existant pre seasons over the course of the year to Masten, Swift, Shuey, Kerr, Butler, Houlihan, Weedon, Neates, Broome, Stevens etc..........................
I have looked at Freo for an extended period of time and they have never done anything, if Pavlich or Sandilands get injured they are stuffed.
Don't underestimate the impact these continuall injuries have and are having on our team. Our team structure has been defined by this.
At the start of the year I and most people had Masten, Swift, Shuey and Kerr rotating through the centre square. This obviously hasn't happened.
I'm still very optimistic about our playing list and I'm looking forward to seeing the best of the best on the park at the same time.

Inside midfielders aren't always goal kickers or natural forwards. The players you mention replace midfielders and wingmen not our overly tall forward line.

You only need 4 KPP's And a ruck, you need more general forwards and small forwards than you need Key Forwards, in modern football you cab get away with average KPF's, you can't play a viable brand of football without genuine speedy half forwards who kick and create goals. Hedge your bets on Weedon, Broome and Neates all you want.

Like I said, I'll have a fit of we take a KPF early. It will be evidence that this club doesn't know what's needed.

Inside midfielders aren't always goal kickers or natural forwards. The players you mention replace midfielders and wingmen not our overly tall forward line.

You only need 4 KPP's And a ruck, you need more general forwards and small forwards than you need Key Forwards, in modern football you cab get away with average KPF's, you can't play a viable brand of football without genuine speedy half forwards who kick and create goals. Hedge your bets on Weedon, Broome and Neates all you want.

Like I said, I'll have a fit of we take a KPF early. It will be evidence that this club doesn't know what's needed.

Under each post you have, YOU ARE NOTTE PREPARED 2010. I take it you expect him to develop this year into a gun forward, one of your proposed 4 KPP's. Hedged your bets badly it seems.
I suggest you take a look at every list in the AFL and count their KPP"s and compare that to WC, see if any other club does anything different. You'll find not!
The only evidence I see in your posts is that you don't know what's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back