Who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Davey or an Aaron Davey running half back type.

Doesn't have to be a great kick, just a reliable one, or a 'good user' as they say.

Nah - we've got 2 or 3 coming off the half back line already who are quality kicks - we need more midfield and a forward flanker

Looking outside the U18s, I wouldn't mind us picking up Cadwallader from the Royals - been hearing good things about him - pace and good skills.

IMO WC should do everything to chase another pick within the top 10. Maybe a combination of Spangher, Mckinley and Lynch may in fact be enough to achieve pick 5 giving WC 2 selections on the trot.

You have to be kidding? 3 players all struggling to get a game in a side that is likely to win the wooden spoon?

Seriously have a good think about that. It doesnt matter if they are after mature bodied players. They would much rather give pick 5 away for a player in a similar mould to a Tippett which pick 5 could get then 3 useless players.

I hate it how posters throw in a handfull average players thinking they can get a good pick

Yea you're probably right - I just see little future for these guys at WC with the possible exception of Rosa. I also believe with the accumulatuon of 17 yr olds last year and the likelihood of picking up another 10 or so 18 yr olds this year, that GC would be interested in a group of players who would likely make their best 22 for the 1st couple of years. IMO GC would be reasonably willing to give up a highish pick (perhaps as high as 5 for this privledge) depending of course on the players involved.

IMO WC should do everything to chase another pick within the top 10. Maybe a combination of Spangher, Mckinley and Lynch may in fact be enough to achieve pick 5 giving WC 2 selections on the trot. Moving out these 3, the delisting of Wilkes and Brett Jones and the likely retirement of Hansen will open up 6 spots. 3 x rookie upgrades (Stephenson, Sullivan and Wilson) + 3 selections in ND + another 2 rookie selections (allowing glass to V) will mean 6 new players in. More than enough at this time.

I'm all for another pick in the top 10.

Who shold we target ? Personally I would take Darling if he were available at our selection . but West Coast have said they are content with the number of young kids and consequently might look to tade in draft pick or two for players coming home ! Who those quality players are could be a selection of three to four players -- Van berlo / Rich / Cassisi / Clark . IMO Simon Black for a third / fourth round pick to come home and play one or two seasons at West Coast followed by a midfield coaching role at the club . if someone can teach the young midfield how to play Simon Black would have to be one with the most credentials :) PLus he was a West Coast fan .

Plenty of mature players in the WAFL Jarrad Ninyette from Claremont at 23 yrs of age has fantastic skills as a HF and has to be looked at :eek: , seriously talented footballer !

McKinley and Rosa would get a 2nd round pick each.

Spangher's just the smarty on top of the cake.

Does pick 11 = 2 second rounders and a smarty?

Its not that far off IMO.

You would be getting 2 HIGH 2nd rounders if you were lucky and no way would I swap say 30+35 (dont forget the 2nd starts at around pick 25 this year) for a 1st rounder if I was another club.

Sphanger wouldnt get picked up IMO...chance in the rookier draft. Another JMac

I'd be rapt it we could get a second rounder for him, or even better if we could somehow incorporate him into getting a decent player from another club i.e. Krak from Port, Dick* from Collingwood, Hill from the Doggies etc.

* May or may not want want Dick at the club so I can hear a commentator say "...and Cox and Dick double team (Insert player name here.)

Todd Banfield anyone?

Seems like someone who would be of use to us, has some pace and can kick a goal.

Two things we seem to lack these days...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we have a special 'bullshit board' for people to discuss all things regarding utopian trading, unicorns, wizards, fairies and flying pigs? Like any team would be better off with the players we would be willing to trade and like we would get anything better than a 4th round pick for the names being thrown about.

I'd be rapt it we could get a second rounder for him, or even better if we could somehow incorporate him into getting a decent player from another club i.e. Krak from Port, Dick* from Collingwood, Hill from the Doggies etc.

* May or may not want want Dick at the club so I can hear a commentator say "...and Cox and Dick double team (Insert player name here.)

Not a fan of the commentary unless the player happens to be Tiffany Cherry

IMO WC should do everything to chase another pick within the top 10. Maybe a combination of Spangher, Mckinley and Lynch may in fact be enough to achieve pick 5 giving WC 2 selections on the trot.

You have to be kidding? 3 players all struggling to get a game in a side that is likely to win the wooden spoon?

Seriously have a good think about that. It doesnt matter if they are after mature bodied players. They would much rather give pick 5 away for a player in a similar mould to a Tippett which pick 5 could get then 3 useless players.

I hate it how posters throw in a handfull average players thinking they can get a good pick

Under normal circumstances I would agree with your argument - however GC are in a unique situation where they have to build a team from scratch. Sure they have been given concessions and have drafted a whole bunch of kids - some of whom will make it, some of whom wont. They also have access to 12 uncontracted players, but experience tells us they are likely to get 5-6 of good quality or above and the rest will be cast offs.

Mckenna knows he will need to build up a greater number of players in the 21-25 age bracket to assist the youngsters as they develop knowing that any 27+ yr olds that he gets this year are likely to be finished in 3-4 years when he hopes to compete in finals and for a flag. He will know that he cant approach finals with 18 footballers age 22 or younger and expect to do well. He will also know that clubs are spooked with the selections GC have this year and many of them are likely to offer up deals on players that are "beyond the pale" in order to secure young talent.

Mckinley and Spangher fit the age criteria perfectly and both have shown they can play at AFL level especially Mckinley. Whilst you may say they're borderline at WC I dont think either are poor footballers. Their performances are symptomatic of playing in a poor team, where confidence is down and the game plan is non existant. Lynch whilst older, is a unique player in that he offers experience, flexibility in the positions he can play and physical strength, all of which GC will be lacking in their formative years.

There is no doubt Mckenna will trade for experienced players and ones he believe can offer something to GC going forward. Whilst he would like to get Tippett or someone similar for pick 5, we have already seen clubs tie up their better players and so GC wont get their hands on players of such talent, even for pick 2.

The question is whether the 3 players I mentioned are worth anything to GC and if so what is the price he will pay. Maybe pick 5 is too high, maybe its about right I dont know, but I do know that WC would be unlikely to accept much less.

Reaslistically Lynch is too old for GC, Mckinley would struggle in a poor side and Spangher isn't worth anything.

Every now and then you can offload rubbish and get something in return but like it or not we have to give up something decent to get another 1st round pick, esp pick 5!

I still think GC should look at the Brown brothers to fill FB and CHB.

Carlton may also be interested in somebody like Brown given their lack of key backs and maybe even Mckinley as a marking forward.

Don't get me wrong I like Mitch Brown but everyone can see he is not a forward except the coaching staff and no matter how many games you play him there he is not going to make it. He is going backwards and his confidence is shot, as is his trade value.

Brown is better up the ground playing as a high leading CHF/HFF. He would have been our CHF for the next 10 years if Kennedy didn't come along.

If he cant play at FF, play him at CHB.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96953/default.aspx

I came across this article on the 2001 under 18's
interestingy its not the case of a star at under 18 will be a star in AFL
this is the super draft of - hodge, judd, montana, ablett, bartell, Johnson, james kelly, nick dalsanto, luke ball, jason gram, etc

Lark medalists - Sam Power and steven armstrong -both no longer playing AFL

our picks - Judd, sampi, seaby, hansen

interesting

Brown is better up the ground playing as a high leading CHF/HFF. He would have been our CHF for the next 10 years if Kennedy didn't come along.

If he cant play at FF, play him at CHB.

The fact of the matter is Brown should be in the team ahead of Wilkes.

He can't play as a FF and we are too big as a forward line so he can't play as a HFF so its pretty easy to deduce that he should be down back instead of Wilkes.

With Emac at FB, Brown at CHB and Schofield playing big or small he can be an extra option if matchups require or Emac/Brown getting beat.

I'm not a Wilkes hater but he will never be more than a depth player.

Can we have a special 'bullshit board' for people to discuss all things regarding utopian trading, unicorns, wizards, fairies and flying pigs? Like any team would be better off with the players we would be willing to trade and like we would get anything better than a 4th round pick for the names being thrown about.

McKinely or Rosa only worth a 4th round pick!:eek:

You are the unicorn with that statement mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back