Who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside midfielders aren't always goal kickers or natural forwards. The players you mention replace midfielders and wingmen not our overly tall forward line

That's a point I made earlier - we don't have obvious replacements in the forward line at the minute - so whilst we are top heavy - who comes in?

It seems to me like an area the eagles have identified this area as lacking and made an effort to recruit with some picks in that area last year.

On the 'inside' mids issue - I don't see why they can't be goal kickers. Kerr is an inside mid - but in a strong midfield group was able to go forward and kick a number of goals.

Masten, Swift, Stevens and Shuey will all need to spread the load as goal kicking midfielders going forward if they are to be a successful group.

Under each post you have, YOU ARE NOTTE PREPARED 2010. I take it you expect him to develop this year into a gun forward, one of your proposed 4 KPP's. Hedged your bets badly it seems.
I suggest you take a look at every list in the AFL and count their KPP"s and compare that to WC, see if any other club does anything different. You'll find not!
The only evidence I see in your posts is that you don't know what's needed.

Rubbish, ive called for Notte to be moved to the Rookie list at the end of this season.

McKenzie, Brown, Kennedy, Schofield and Jordan Jones are all large enough to support our KPP stocks. We are unlikley to remove Hansen or Lynch at the end of this season, if we do it's probable that we would have active picks in play to get another KPP at some point in this draft.

The KPP's that are standouts at the moment are as follows and in order; Sam Day (195cm), Lucas Cook(194cm) , James Solly (191cm), Jack Darling (190cm).

Now if we where to trade into the draft and secure a late first round or early second round pick, then we would go after Litherland (190cm Defender) or Sebastian Tape (189cm Defender).

At this stage the only KPF that will go potentially ahead of Luke Parker, Shaun Atley and co is Lucas Cook.

Taking a pinch hitting ruckmen/ forward in the mold of Nathan Vardy wouldn't be a bad idea in this draft.

That's a point I made earlier - we don't have obvious replacements in the forward line at the minute - so whilst we are top heavy - who comes in?

It seems to me like an area the eagles have identified this area as lacking and made an effort to recruit with some picks in that area last year.

On the 'inside' mids issue - I don't see why they can't be goal kickers. Kerr is an inside mid - but in a strong midfield group was able to go forward and kick a number of goals.

Masten, Swift, Stevens and Shuey will all need to spread the load as goal kicking midfielders going forward if they are to be a successful group.

Inside mid-fielder's that run and create space for each other are the ones that kick goals. Our midfield hasn't been able to do that since 2007 and we don't know when they will return to kicking a plethora of goals.

Getting the right mix in their will be what changes that, Swift, Shuey and Stevens are all good at going forward and kicking goals, all are unproven at the elite level though. Their are some very offensive Goal kicking midfielders in this draft in Parker and Green that we should seriously consider.

Id love those players mentioned to be playing games together and kicking goals together, but in reality we need to spread that load to creative, fast half forwards and small forwards who can put score board pressure on and then apply effective defensive pressure on opposition defenders in our attacking 50 to increase the efficiency of our midfield press/ zone.

We currently don't have the aggressive tacklers or natural goal kickers to implement our own game plan. Kennedy and LeCras is a great start to any future forward line and Browns defensive pressure could become a real feature if he stays forward, but we need some real zip and creativity at their feet.

Rubbish, ive called for Notte to be moved to the Rookie list at the end of this season.

McKenzie, Brown, Kennedy, Schofield and Jordan Jones are all large enough to support our KPP stocks. We are unlikley to remove Hansen or Lynch at the end of this season, if we do it's probable that we would have active picks in play to get another KPP at some point in this draft.

The KPP's that are standouts at the moment are as follows and in order; Sam Day (195cm), Lucas Cook(194cm) , James Solly (191cm), Jack Darling (190cm).

Now if we where to trade into the draft and secure a late first round or early second round pick, then we would go after Litherland (190cm Defender) or Sebastian Tape (189cm Defender).

At this stage the only KPF that will go potentially ahead of Luke Parker, Shaun Atley and co is Lucas Cook.

Taking a pinch hitting ruckmen/ forward in the mold of Nathan Vardy wouldn't be a bad idea in this draft.

So now you know who will be taken and in what order at the draft, you're amazing!
This year we have had a lot of injuries to our mids, let's say next year kennedy is out. Who do we play at CHF, FF for the year? Having used our darft picks on small players.
Of the players other than kennedy in the list you provided above, which of those players would get a game in the forward line at any other AFL club?
You don't win premierships with mckinley sized players at FF. You win premierships with Mooney, Ottens, Franklin, Roughhead and the other GF team last year weren't bad either with Reiwoldt and Kosi. KPP's taken high in the draft. But of course you know better.
If we had a player at FF that could take a mark you might not be thinking we need a heap of small players to try and keep the ball in the defensive zone - they wouldn't need to, as a mark would have been taken and the ball wouldn't have been on the ground.
When we won our 2006 flag who did we have as a small forward - Armstrong, a good footballer nothing more.
Why do you have no faith in any of the three players I mentioned before in Neates, Weedon or Broome ever developing into good HFF, FP players?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/7474030/gold-coast-wont-take-all-the-talent/

the top 10 - per the west
Swallow, Bennell, Sam Day, Andrew Gaff, Scott Lycett, Ben Jacobs, daniel Gorringe, luke Parker, Jack Darling, Shaun Atley

Looks like GC will take Swallow, Bennell, and Day
So only local boy left in top 10 is Jack Darling if correct, lycett and Gorringe are ruckmen all others are Midfielders except Darling

other WA boys
Reece Conca, Blane Wilson, Ben Newton, Justin Monaco, Jamie crips, Alex Fasolo, Angus litherland

Neates is going to be a gem, Weedon has the talent but needs to work much harder, which he will learn being in the system and I haven't seen enough of Broome to comment.

But we do need another natural key forward.

Darling could certainly be the big slider this year and it would be nice to secure a late 1st round pick to have a crack at him. I don't have a problem with his height, reckon he is big enough to hold down FF.

Can anybody tell me how much a ticket is to the U18 Champs games? Am going to see VicM v WA tomorrow.

Also what are the numbers of the leading contenders Ie: Bennell, Gaff, Darling etc? Just so I don't waste time trying to identify them. Cheers

What is really crap is the Bulldogs picking up two father son picks with a Wallace and a Libratore, both touted first rounders, with basically a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year.

And then the Swans will grab Mitchels son next year.

A West Coast breeding program is needed, surely we can find willing serogate mothers out there and the club to finance it!;):D

So now you know who will be taken and in what order at the draft, you're amazing!

I already know that.

This year we have had a lot of injuries to our mids, let's say next year kennedy is out. Who do we play at CHF, FF for the year? Having used our darft picks on small players.

Doesn't matter if we lose one KPF we replace them with the best option, that doesn't mean a KPF has to be replaced by another KPF. See Carlton, see StKilda.

Of the players other than kennedy in the list you provided above, which of those players would get a game in the forward line at any other AFL club?

How is that all relevent? How does that effect thier ability to play a role within a side.

You don't win premierships with mckinley sized players at FF.

Correct we should trade McKinley and use Brown/ Kennedy as our two tall forwards.

You win premierships with Mooney, Ottens, Franklin, Roughhead and the other GF team last year weren't bad either with Reiwoldt and Kosi. KPP's taken high in the draft. But of course you know better.

Ottens is a ruck, Mooney is craverage but mobile, he chases hard and is a decent mark.
Franklin and Reiwoldt are both exceptional, Roo got spanked in the 09 GF and Buddy lacked influence in 08 (was double teamed and Scarlett was ineffective).

Ironically it was Chapman and Rooke who got Geelong over the line in 09.

If we had a player at FF that could take a mark you might not be thinking we need a heap of small players to try and keep the ball in the defensive zone - they wouldn't need to, as a mark would have been taken and the ball wouldn't have been on the ground.

And we should bomb it long to them as well no doubt? You need elite footskills to hit key forwards in the era of flooding, zones and loose spare men.

Fremantle don't hit up Pav or kick running goals from outside 50 to win games, they put the ball into space or too advantage and back thier legspeed.

When we won our 2006 flag who did we have as a small forward - Armstrong, a good footballer nothing more.

Our lack of forward structure in 05-07 is as relevent as our forward structure in 92/94.

Why do you have no faith in any of the three players I mentioned before in Neates, Weedon or Broome ever developing into good HFF, FP players?

Because as you say, we can't put all our eggs in one basket. Our list is top heavy and Woosha is playing an out dated brand of football, we don't have enough natural goal kickers or legspeed in and around our 50m arch.

Brown and Kennedy could be a great combo, both work very hard, both are agile/ mobile for thier size. We need a game plan that uses them to our advantage.

I suggest you go look up about a kid by the name of Jed Lamb, he would suit us perfectly.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/7474030/gold-coast-wont-take-all-the-talent/

the top 10 - per the west
Swallow, Bennell, Sam Day, Andrew Gaff, Scott Lycett, Ben Jacobs, daniel Gorringe, luke Parker, Jack Darling, Shaun Atley

Looks like GC will take Swallow, Bennell, and Day
So only local boy left in top 10 is Jack Darling if correct, lycett and Gorringe are ruckmen all others are Midfielders except Darling

other WA boys
Reece Conca, Blane Wilson, Ben Newton, Justin Monaco, Jamie crips, Alex Fasolo, Angus litherland

I am not sure of the names but why focus on local boys.

It is a national comp so we must make the most of the national tallent pool.
No not do so will guarentee failure.

Trade Brown crowd is also the draft Darling crowd? Don't have the KP depth to let him go.

So we don't have the KP depth to let him go. In your last post you said we could just replace a KPP with the next best option. You have also been arguing that we shouldn't draft a KPP, but say we have no KPP depth.
Whatever!

So we don't have the KP depth to let him go. In your last post you said we could just replace a KPP with the next best option. You have also been arguing that we shouldn't draft a KPP, but say we have no KPP depth.
Whatever!

Read my post again. A Key Position Forward can be compensated with any tall who is willing to work hard and bring the ball to ground, just take a look at Carlton.

Brown and Kennedy give us the necissary depth up forward and a little bit of flexibilty down back, as you don't always need two Key Position Marking forwards in modern football.

Im willing to admit we need to bring in a defensive tall or two in the next two years to sure up our defensive stocks. The loss of Wilkes, Lynch, Hansen and Spangher will need to be recompensed in the next two drafts.

The case point is still the same mate, go early for a KPP at our own peril. It would be a shocking miscalculation by our club to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read my post again. A Key Position Forward can be compensated with any tall who is willing to work hard and bring the ball to ground, just take a look at Carlton.

Brown and Kennedy give us the necissary depth up forward and a little bit of flexibilty down back, as you don't always need two Key Position Marking forwards in modern football.

Im willing to admit we need to bring in a defensive tall or two in the next two years to sure up our defensive stocks. The loss of Wilkes, Lynch, Hansen and Spangher will need to be recompensed in the next two drafts.

The case point is still the same mate, go early for a KPP at our own peril. It would be a shocking miscalculation by our club to do so.

Well Hansen is now sidelined for a further 6 weeks with his continuing hip complaint, geez I hope we somehow retire / trade this guy this year.

With Glass in doubt I wouldn't be surprised if Wilkes is retained for another year and Lynch still has another year on his contract.

Notte should be ready for a round 1 start next season up forward so there is another tall forward to somehow fit into the side.

Down back we hopefully retain Schofield and still have MacKenzie, Wilkes and Glass plus 190ish cm players in B Jones and J Jones.

IMO we can afford to trade Brown at the right price. Same with Pridis, A Selwood, McKinley and Cox............. for the right price.

I am not sure of the names but why focus on local boys.

It is a national comp so we must make the most of the national tallent pool.
No not do so will guarentee failure.

more than happy too - but west coast have a history of taking local boys unless their is a significant difference in talent ie Judd, Hurn only talking about round 1 pick here.

Neates is going to be a gem, Weedon has the talent but needs to work much harder, which he will learn being in the system and I haven't seen enough of Broome to comment.

But we do need another natural key forward.

Darling could certainly be the big slider this year and it would be nice to secure a late 1st round pick to have a crack at him. I don't have a problem with his height, reckon he is big enough to hold down FF.

If you are going to be only 190cm as a FF then you need something else going for you - pace, good leap and mark. Not sure WC would go for him as their 1st selection but he certainly offers more than McKinley.
Not sure how they will get their hands on him - perhaps offer McKinley, Rosa and Spangher to GC for a pick 11 and hope he's still there at that time.

If you are going to be only 190cm as a FF then you need something else going for you - pace, good leap and mark. Not sure WC would go for him as their 1st selection but he certainly offers more than McKinley.
Not sure how they will get their hands on him - perhaps offer McKinley, Rosa and Spangher to GC for a pick 11 and hope he's still there at that time.

Those 3 for pick 11. I think your high mate. That'd be paying a bit over the odds.

Well Hansen is now sidelined for a further 6 weeks with his continuing hip complaint, geez I hope we somehow retire / trade this guy this year.

With Glass in doubt I wouldn't be surprised if Wilkes is retained for another year and Lynch still has another year on his contract.

Notte should be ready for a round 1 start next season up forward so there is another tall forward to somehow fit into the side.

Down back we hopefully retain Schofield and still have MacKenzie, Wilkes and Glass plus 190ish cm players in B Jones and J Jones.

IMO we can afford to trade Brown at the right price. Same with Pridis, A Selwood, McKinley and Cox............. for the right price.

No evidence to suggest Notte wille be ready by round 1 2011.

Brown has the size, pace and endurance to be a solid workhorse up forward.

Looking at the quality this draft we would be stupid not to trade upwards for more smalls/ mediums.

Some great Midfielders, HBF's and general/ small forwards.

Fasolo, Conca, Litherland, Coniglio :thumbsu:

We shall see. WA has allot of Draftable players for a team that just finished winless in Division One.

Coniglio is eligable for the 2011 draft unfortunatly. But he looks like a great prospect.

Our first round pick is going to be pick 4 or pick 6. Unless Bennell falls to four we will naturally be picking up a talent from outside the state.

Fasolo is a gun who's size, kicking skills and all round utility makes him an exceptional second/ third round draft pick.

Conca is smaller, highly skilled and but im not convinced he's an upgrade on any of our current midfielders and so im sceptical of taking him in the draft on a needs basis.

Warrick Andreoli is one to watch, hasn't got allot of hype but he can get strong numbers, he breaks lines and likes to kick goals in the colts. I feel he's in the mix for a pick from 45- rookie draft.

Litherland has some decent wraps on him and you can't say no to running defenders. :thumbsu:

Those 3 for pick 11. I think your high mate. That'd be paying a bit over the odds.

Yea you're probably right - I just see little future for these guys at WC with the possible exception of Rosa. I also believe with the accumulatuon of 17 yr olds last year and the likelihood of picking up another 10 or so 18 yr olds this year, that GC would be interested in a group of players who would likely make their best 22 for the 1st couple of years. IMO GC would be reasonably willing to give up a highish pick (perhaps as high as 5 for this privledge) depending of course on the players involved.

IMO WC should do everything to chase another pick within the top 10. Maybe a combination of Spangher, Mckinley and Lynch may in fact be enough to achieve pick 5 giving WC 2 selections on the trot. Moving out these 3, the delisting of Wilkes and Brett Jones and the likely retirement of Hansen will open up 6 spots. 3 x rookie upgrades (Stephenson, Sullivan and Wilson) + 3 selections in ND + another 2 rookie selections (allowing glass to V) will mean 6 new players in. More than enough at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back