Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did, and couldn't believe what a scrappy affair it was. Granted the game was played at night in the Adelaide cold, but the skill levels were deplorable. Players just kicked the ball without looking, often into opposition players. Ball handling skills were almost non existent, with handballs missing players more often than not, marks dropped, and players unable to scoop the ball off the turf. Deliberate out of bounds kicks were applauded by the commentators as "great football". This was supposed to be a showcase of the best footballers the two states had to offer?

It ended up being a close game with the VICs fighting back in the last quarter

But don't let anyone tell you the game today isn't better!

OLD FOOTBALL FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS old football...Old football runnin' around and... a- all day long forever.. all a - a hundred days old football! forever a hundred times.... OVER and over oldfootballadventures.com..
What?

I don't think anyone except maybe Hawk supporters think of the 80's as the good old days. AFL football peaked as a spectacle in the mid 90s
1989 was a good year and the GF still ranks as one of the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone except maybe Hawk supporters think of the 80's as the good old days. AFL football peaked as a spectacle in the mid 90s

In 1987 only Carlton cracked the 25k mark for average home game attendances. Collingwood was about 21k and and West Coast was 24k.

But don't tell that to the 5m or so people who "went every week!" in the 80's.

(interesting thing about WA footy is that WAFL attendance per fortnight dropped from 86 to 87 by more than Eagles' 24k per fortnight in 1987)

One thing I picked up on was the umpires didnt wait 50 years to call for a ball up

Yep the player first to the ball was not penalised.
No one got penalised for deliberate out of bounds for kicking the ball their way.
High contact was awarded no matter how it occurred.
Hands in the back did not exist, was either a push or not a push.
Incorrect disposal was an infringement and a free kick was paid.
No rolling mauls as the umpires ran in and balled it up straight away.

But this new sport has changed all that..............

Yep the player first to the ball was not penalised.
No one got penalised for deliberate out of bounds for kicking the ball their way.
High contact was awarded no matter how it occurred.
Hands in the back did not exist, was either a push or not a push.
Incorrect disposal was an infringement and a free kick was paid.
No rolling mauls as the umpires ran in and balled it up straight away.

But this new sport has changed all that..............
Still, the overall poor skill levels made the game near unwatchable when compared with today's game, IMHO

Still, the overall poor skill levels made the game near unwatchable when compared with today's game, IMHO
That particular game might be the case? Didn't watch it.
But today's game the skills are not much better. You have to remember that back then 80% of the game was contested as opposed to today's game where probably over 50% is uncontested. Not sure about you but the eagles skills are shocking, some of the blokes drafted can't kick to save themselves. But like I said above they are two different sports. You could certainly pick 4 games a weekend every weekend where the skills are shocking. Not hard kicking to a guy on his own which is the majority of the time in AFL. Much harder kicking to someone under pressure which was more the case back then. This is why we get so excited these days when a FF gets hit on the chest. It is such a rare occurrence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back