Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why you guys ever bothered playing, they were always on an end of year booze up, or only trying when they wanted to. Those poor players turning it on and off at will.
It's amazing why so many players were recruited from our dud states when surely you had hundreds much better in your own back yard.
Was there ever A day a Vic side lost or a vic club lost that was not on the piss or not taking it seriously?

Sorry for making that chip on your shoulder uncomfortable.

3 Margaret medallists. Platen and Bradley went to Vic, Platten won a Brownlow & some flags, Bradley massive for carlton & won a flag or two also. Naley another SA boy who would've dominated VFL but chose to stay at home.

Naley was a premiership player for the Blues in 1987. Your BF post fact checker on annual leave?

The 86 SOO game between WA v VIC has been on a few times this week. The skill level of that game is off the charts. Not played with the normal level of physical pressure for the time but not soft either. I doubt a state game with current day players would produce the same level of skill. Would love to be proved wrong though would be a hell of a spectacle.

The 1986 State of Origin game at Subiaco between Western Australia and Victoria has rightfully been regarded by many people as one of the greatest games – not just in State of Origin – but in the 150 years of Australian Football.

It was to be the last of the ‘true’ State of Origin games before the advent of the West Coast Eagles in 1987. Their inclusion meant that the WA football public got to see the best talents of WA (made up of players from the local WAFL like Laurie Keene and current North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley and ex-pats from WA like Leon Baker, Ross Glendinning and Phil Narkle playing in the then VFL in Melbourne) taking on the very best the VFL had to offer, like Paul Salmon, Dale Weightman, Dermott Brereton.

The coach of the Victorian side was then Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy and the skipper of the Vics was Terry Daniher, while leading the WA team was coach Ron Alexander and skipper, former Geelong player Brian Peake.

When people talk of great State of Origin matches, and great Australian Rules games, no matter at what level it is this one always gets a mention.

In all due respect to the games between South Australia and Victoria in the mid 1980’s and early 90’s at Football Park, no other game has been spoken of in revered tones as much as the ’86 State of Origin clash at Subiaco between the Sandgropers and the Vics.

Ask any of the players who played in that match – Laurie Keene, Greg Williams, Maurice Rioli, Paul Salmon, Dean Laidley, Dermott Brereton just to name a few – where they rate this game, and they’d tell you it was one of the greatest games they have played in their careers, outside of grand finals.

The first 3 quarters was A-OK, which WA had a lead of 4-5 goals during that time and looked to break away to record a comfortable victory, but Victoria kept WA in check.

But what happened in the final quarter will never be forgotten by not just those who were at Subiaco, but also watching the game on TV in WA and Victoria.

24 years later, the memories of this game, and that thrilling last quarter-come flooding back:

– Brian Peake’s 7 goals for WA
– Andrew MacNish’s screamer in the last quarter
– Seven lead changes in the last quarter
– Andrew Bews’ goal which looked to have the game sealed for the Vics.
– Brian Royal and Dale Weightman each kicking 5 goals
– Gary Buckenara’s goal that won the game for WA
– Wayne Blackwell’s smother that saved the game – and the Australian championships – for WA

One of the all-time classic games in Aussie Rules history-the 1986 WA v Victoria State of Origin.

SCOREBOARD-1986 State of Origin

WEST AUSTRALIA 4.4 9.5 15.10 21. 11 (137)
VICTORIA 4.5 7.7 12.10 20.14 (134)

Goals WA: Peake 7, Buckenara 5, MacNish 3, Mitchell 3, Rioli 2, Baker, Wilson
Goals VIC: Weightman 5, Royal 5, Taylor 4, Brereton 3, Alvin, Bews, Healy

Simpson Medal: Brad Hardie (WA)
E.J. Whitten Medal: Dale Weightman (Vic)

Umpires: David Johnson (WA), Ross Castle (Vic)

At Subiaco Oval
Crowd: 39, 863

Last quarter (a):

Last quarter (b):

Last edited:
Bruce Abernethy thought State of Origin football by the mid 1980's was pointless and only considered important by South Australians and Western Australians who had inferiority complexes.

I think one year only two players came from that stronghold of Australian football the SNAFL. What a joke of an organisation.

It's ok let's bring back SOO football so a state with 1.5 million people can get pulverised by 100 points. 5AA says we are certainties with Studley our saving grace. A man who so strong to his convictions illustrated by his calls for injunctions against entry, that is, until offered a contract to coach a creation he so vocally despised.

Money, what a marvellous thing. It can buy just about anything except character.

Mumble mumble cloud

The 1986 State of Origin game at Subiaco between Western Australia and Victoria has rightfully been regarded by many people as one of the greatest games – not just in State of Origin – but in the 150 years of Australian Football.

Pretty sure it was played on a weekday, which is probably why I can't recall it. Games that are half-over by the time you get home from school don't stick in the memory.

Pretty sure it was played on a weekday, which is probably why I can't recall it. Games that are half-over by the time you get home from school don't stick in the memory.
Those WA state games were played on a Tuesday afternoon owing to the fact that neither the VFL or WAFL were interested in giving up a weekend out of their respective seasons. The Victorian based players for both teams used to fly in the afternoon before, have a bit of a kick around in the dark Monday night, and play Tuesday arvo. The fact that the match could still pull a huge crowd shows how important the game was to the Western Australian public. There was no state game, WA or SA, staged in Victoria from 1980 until 1989 because the interest in the concept had waned here. It took a number of close Victorian losses, played before some rabid home crowds to muster support for a game to be played here in Victoria. In 1989 the game against SA at the MCG drew over 90,000 people raising hopes that the SOO concept was back in favour in Victoria. Subsequent matches showed that was not only partly true as crowds continued to dwindle. The national competition and State footy just didn't coexist in Victoria unfortunately.

I think I prefer 'old' footy because the game seems to flow better. The game is too congested these days with way too many players around the ball. It makes the game scrappier which reduces the skill level. AFL players are probably much more skilled these days but you wouldn't know this because of the way the game is being played.

I think I prefer 'old' footy because the game seems to flow better. The game is too congested these days with way too many players around the ball. It makes the game scrappier which reduces the skill level. AFL players are probably much more skilled these days but you wouldn't know this because of the way the game is being played.
There are few positional structures in AFL (compare with off side sports) so it seems that the chaos needs extra rules. These extra rules really can change the character of the game. I haven't seen a similar character change in other sports, not that I've been watching religiously. I'm fascinated by union. Their problem seems to be rule intetpretation, though the game to me is recognisable 30 years apart.

I agree with this. Watching some of the 80' s games on FoxFooty lately I have been struck by how open the style of footy was. It's like watching the NBA allstar game or the NFL pro bowl where any serious attempts at team defence are abandoned to allow free for all scoring. When you see full forwards like Dunstall or Lockett being given massive open holes to lead into you can't help but wonder how coaches of that period could let it happen. Momentum was king in those days, run ons abounded. I loved it.

There was no state game, WA or SA, staged in Victoria from 1980 until 1989 because the interest in the concept had waned here. It took a number of close Victorian losses, played before some rabid home crowds to muster support for a game to be played here in Victoria. In 1989 the game against SA at the MCG drew over 90,000 people raising hopes that the SOO concept was back in favour in Victoria. Subsequent matches showed that was not only partly true as crowds continued to dwindle. The national competition and State footy just didn't coexist in Victoria unfortunately.

The other part of the reason Vic always played away is that WA & SA needed the home ground advantage to remain competitive (that being much more substantial back when players traveled a lot less). Games in Vic tended to be pretty predictable (which is another reason Vic crowds usually stayed away unless it was rare enough to help them forget that).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was to be the last of the ‘true’ State of Origin games before the advent of the West Coast Eagles in 1987. Their inclusion meant that the WA football public got to see the best talents of WA (made up of players from the local WAFL like Laurie Keene and current North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley and ex-pats from WA like Leon Baker, Ross Glendinning and Phil Narkle playing in the then VFL in Melbourne) taking on the very best the VFL had to offer, like Paul Salmon, Dale Weightman, Dermott Brereton.

The coach of the Victorian side was then Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy and the skipper of the Vics was Terry Daniher, while leading the WA team was coach Ron Alexander and skipper, former Geelong player Brian Peake.

When people talk of great State of Origin matches, and great Australian Rules games, no matter at what level it is this one always gets a mention.

In all due respect to the games between South Australia and Victoria in the mid 1980’s and early 90’s at Football Park, no other game has been spoken of in revered tones as much as the ’86 State of Origin clash at Subiaco between the Sandgropers and the Vics.

Ask any of the players who played in that match – Laurie Keene, Greg Williams, Maurice Rioli, Paul Salmon, Dean Laidley, Dermott Brereton just to name a few – where they rate this game, and they’d tell you it was one of the greatest games they have played in their careers, outside of grand finals.

The first 3 quarters was A-OK, which WA had a lead of 4-5 goals during that time and looked to break away to record a comfortable victory, but Victoria kept WA in check.

But what happened in the final quarter will never be forgotten by not just those who were at Subiaco, but also watching the game on TV in WA and Victoria.

24 years later, the memories of this game, and that thrilling last quarter-come flooding back:

– Brian Peake’s 7 goals for WA
– Andrew MacNish’s screamer in the last quarter
– Seven lead changes in the last quarter
– Andrew Bews’ goal which looked to have the game sealed for the Vics.
– Brian Royal and Dale Weightman each kicking 5 goals
– Gary Buckenara’s goal that won the game for WA
– Wayne Blackwell’s smother that saved the game – and the Australian championships – for WA

One of the all-time classic games in Aussie Rules history-the 1986 WA v Victoria State of Origin.

SCOREBOARD-1986 State of Origin

WEST AUSTRALIA 4.4 9.5 15.10 21. 11 (137)
VICTORIA 4.5 7.7 12.10 20.14 (134)

Goals WA: Peake 7, Buckenara 5, MacNish 3, Mitchell 3, Rioli 2, Baker, Wilson
Goals VIC: Weightman 5, Royal 5, Taylor 4, Brereton 3, Alvin, Bews, Healy

Simpson Medal: Brad Hardie (WA)
E.J. Whitten Medal: Dale Weightman (Vic)

Umpires: David Johnson (WA), Ross Castle (Vic)

At Subiaco Oval
Crowd: 39, 863

Last quarter (a):

Last quarter (b):

Laidley "current" North coach? This must be an old article you have plagiarised?

Last edited:
You'd think that an average team from this season, say Collingwood or North; would comfortably dispose of one of the great 80's/90's teams like the Blight-era Cats or the 'Baby Bombers'.
But those teams weren't as fit back then.If they trained to be as fit and had the same medical help.They would smash the present day sides because they were just better players.

From a Vic POV, it was all like a tussle with your little brother. You might have thought it a big deal, but for us a 'win' was still pretty meaningless. 'win' and it was 'yeah, of course', lose and we copped shit....meanwhile the other side thought it was the biggest thing in the world.

I seriously thought Adelaide Hawk had won the biggest bell end of the thread....

Been having a look at quite a few of the 80s games on Fox Footy this past week and the kicking was so much better especially with a muddy waterlogged ball. Very few players today can kick that good. Also seen many excellent passages of team play ending with pinpoint accurate passes to the full foward. I'm not sure what the motivation behind these"modern snobs" is trying to downplay the older style game.
Can't agree with this. Been watching AFL since the 60's and every decade skills just get better and better. The only reason today's game has put a premium on possession over territory is because delivery skills are so much better. Kicks arrive at their destination much quicker which doesn't offer the chance to intercept. If the kicking skills of the 80's were employed the modern style would be impossible because the ball movement would be so slow and continually picked off.

Very true, the poster "telsor" is the reason the word "Flog" was invented, he's a very bitter person.

Because I tell the truth about SOO?

I note nobody actually disagreed with what I said, instead they attacked me...I can only assume it's because they know I'm right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back