Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never said you can't make predictions about things - you might have me confused with a few of your Carlton mates on that front.

But if you're saying 'I predict such and such a club to be a premiership contender', that's all well and good, and very different to saying after round 17 (for example) 'Such and such a club are a premiership contender'.
It's okay to make an assessment based on the facts you have available in that moment.

It's also okay to change your assessment if you are presented with new information at a later date.

It's okay to make an assessment based on the facts you have available in that moment.

It's also okay to change your assessment if you are presented with new information at a later date.
Of course that's true.

But if someone asks me who the 2022 contenders were, I say 'Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood'.

Because they were the teams that actually contended for the premiership.

I don't say....
'Up to about round 8, Melbourne, Brisbane and Fremantle appeared to be the contenders.
Then Carlton contended as well for a few weeks before falling away late in the season.
St. Kilda also contended for a few weeks.
Then Geelong and Sydney finished really strong to also be contenders. Collingwood also got on a roll to be a contender, etc., etc.'

Fadge stop waffling

Which teams do you currently have as flag contenders

It's a very simple question
15 teams are currently in limbo neither in contention nor out of contention. At this point there are no contenders. Need to win or lose a prelim final by less than 6 points to be a contender. Sadly 16 point is definitely too much to be classified a contender.

Of course that's true.

But if someone asks me who the 2022 contenders were, I say 'Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood'.

Because they were the teams that actually contended for the premiership.

I don't say....
'Up to about round 8, Melbourne, Brisbane and Fremantle appeared to be the contenders.
Then Carlton contended as well for a few weeks before falling away late in the season.
St. Kilda also contended for a few weeks.
Then Geelong and Sydney finished really strong to also be contenders. Collingwood also got on a roll to be a contender, etc., etc.'

Sure, so what do you say when someone asks who you think the 2024 contenders are?

Sure, so what do you say when someone asks who you think the 2024 contenders are?
If someone asks me 'who do you think the 2024 contenders are', I say exactly what I have been saying in my last 20 posts.

If someone asks me 'who do you think the 2024 contenders will be', that is a very different question, and at this stage I'd say 'Sydney appear to be a class above all other teams, so wouldn't be surprised if they sweep the finals comfortably, in the absence of any other genuine contenders. Then any of Fremantle, Brisbane, GWS and/or Collingwood could gain some momentum and make a late charge. I don't predict any of Carlton, Port Adelaide, Essendon or Geelong genuinely contending for the 2024 flag.'

Check the DICHUNAREE ( maybe phonetics will work)?

No sure how else to ….?

Again try to read below - if you need help with the BIG WORDS let us know;

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
noun

1. a person or group competing with others to achieve something.
    "the major contenders in the football championship"
Interestingly this definition refers to major contenders which would logically be teams in the 8 and allows for the principle of unlikely/minor contenders which would be teams outside of the 8 such as Collingwood.

Still waiting for Fadge to produce a definition from a reputable source that matches his take on the matter

What a load of tripe.

Oh no your response tells me everything. Deep inside you are thinking what if we fail again. What if our team doesn’t stand up again. What is Crippsy fails in the biggest game of his life like last year? What if Flat Track Charlie chokes again? The players have the same doubts. Deep inside you know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no your response tells me everything. Deep inside you are thinking what if we fail again. What if our team doesn’t stand up again. What is Crippsy fails in the biggest game of his life like last year? What if Flat Track Charlie chokes again? The players have the same doubts. Deep inside you know it.
If that happens I'll be back here the first week in October ready for next seasons battle.

Do you have the winning lotto numbers for this Saturday as well ?
South of the Yarra's prediction that the Blueshakes will cause Carlton's demise in finals is as reasonable as Carlton posters anointing their team a 'contender' before they actually contend.

They are both predictions based on different interpretations of data.

Really?

So you'd consider Essendon a 'major contender'?

Port Adelaide?
Only on a purely binary application of major and minor contenders. It was more just to point out that Collingwood were in the minor part of the current contenders while making the point that all teams are contenders until they are not as per the definition that you refuse to acknowledge.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a reputable source to provide a definition that backs up your position. I wouldn't want to fall back on lazy stereotypes of Collingwood supporters not understanding the English language.
It's common-sense, and comes with one's understanding of the game.

It's when one doesn't truly understand the game and has to defer to a simple dictionary definition that suggests every team is a contender, that we get flawed concepts such as the ones you guys are providing.

It's common-sense, and comes with one's understanding of the game.

It's when one doesn't truly understand the game and has to defer to a simple dictionary definition that suggests every team is a contender, that we get flawed concepts such as the ones you guys are providing.
Words have meanings. Just because you want to give them different meanings doesn't mean they do. It is hard to have a reasonable conversation with a person that has their own set of definitions for words. Guess that is the Language of the Collingwood cheers squad

Words have meanings. Just because you want to give them different meanings doesn't mean they do. It is hard to have a reasonable conversation with a person that has their own set of definitions for words. Guess that is the Language of the Collingwood cheers squad
Collingwood cheersquad don't even know how to spell.
What hope have you got ?

Oh, so you're now using the term 'major contender'?

That's interesting, after you originally stated 'at the start of the year, every team in the competition are contenders'....
That is a dictionary using the word in a sentence to help demonstrate its meaning. Note the Dictionary does not say "the team that wins or comes close to winning a preliminary final is a contender"

Read a book once in a while.

So you're happy that the literal meaning of 'contender' include North Melbourne and West Coast as 2024 premiership contenders through to the point in time that it's no longer mathematically possible for them to win the premiership?

I'm adhering to the definition of contender, but not applying it until such time as a team contends.

I'm still waiting on any of you to answer my question re: who were the premiership contenders in 2022 and 2023...

Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back