Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting interesting.

Under Carlton supporters' definition of 'Premiership Contention', Carlton and Collingwood have been a 'Premiership Contenders' every year since the turn of the century.

Under my definition of 'Premiership Contention', Collingwood have been 'Premiership Contenders' on 9 occasions - 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023. Carlton, none.

I wonder who has a better appreciation of what constitutes a premiership contender?
This is getting good now lol.

Yeah.

I particularly like the notion that Carlton can be both a Premiership Contender and a team that won two games to win the wooden spoon in the same year...
Who said that?

I looked up Colliwobbles in google it brought up some interesting reading - its a thing
Couldn't find anything relating to Carlton and blueshakes - there was no correlation.
It's cute you made a word that hasn't taken off like the colliwobbles have. Points for trying
Blue shakes is a tad embarrassing for them really.

Crrrrringe! 😳

Is that the best The DBC could come up with ?

💩

Yeah.

I particularly like the notion that Carlton can be both a Premiership Contender and a team that won two games to win the wooden spoon in the same year...
I like that 2 teams can lose a Prelim Final and one can be a contender and the other not be. Something you have never manager to explain other than I don't think they could win.

I guess in your world a non Contender could beat a Contender in a Prelim final as well. See 1999 for the most obvious example of this.

In your world still being in Contention to win the GF does not make you a contender.

Last edited:
It’s really not that hard to understand.

At the start of the season every club is contending of course.

Once the final eight is finalised - then they are left contending.

One in a GF then those two are contending.

It’s pretty simple really.

Anything else is a mere Fludgellation.
Robertio - I quote 'it's really not that hard to understand'...

In 2007 , magpies were 13 wins 9 losses, in 6th position = contending .
Is that a joke? Thoughts Robertio - is he taking the piss or what!
In 2007, the Magpies lost a Preliminary Final by 5 points to the team that won the Grand Final the following week by 119 points.

As I said, I know this concept of 'contending' is very foreign to you all, but you'll grasp the concept eventually. Maybe...

In 2007, the Magpies lost a Preliminary Final by 5 points to the team that won the Grand Final the following week by 119 points.

As I said, I know this concept of 'contending' is very foreign to you all, but you'll grasp the concept eventually. Maybe...
At what point did collingwood contend ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that 2 teams can lose a Prelim Final and one can be a contender and the other not be. Something you have never manager to explain other than I don't think they could win.

I guess in your world a non Contender could beat a Contender in a Prelim final as well. See 1999 for the most obvious example of this.
Review my list.

There are multiple times that Collingwood played in Preliminary Finals but we weren't legitimately contending for the premiership - 2009 and 2012.

So losing a final by 5 points made them a contender despite an average season up to them. Not sure how that makes sense as previously they wouldn't have been a contender.

Maybe you could produce a flow chart on how/when a team becomes a contender.

In your world still being in Contention to win the GF does not make you a contender.
I think you're actually getting there with this.

Take 2024 Hawthorn for example.

They could win the next 11 games and win the premiership, or win through to a close Grand Final loss, or close Preliminary Final loss - at which time we can conclude they 'contended' for the premiership.

But that is not likely to happen, so the most likely outcome will be that they won't contend for the premiership.

They could win the next 11 games and win the premiership, or win through to a close Grand Final loss, or close Preliminary Final loss - at which time we can conclude they 'contended' for the premiership.

But that is not likely to happen, so the most likely outcome will be that they won't contend for the premiership.
No no, use 2007 collingwood as the example please

Review my list.

There are multiple times that Collingwood played in Preliminary Finals but we weren't legitimately contending for the premiership - 2009 and 2012.
That's a losers attitude mate, Steven Bradbury says hello.

I think fadge is a contender, for the NAAA award

He’s a Major Contender!

( Ps I wonder why they use a word like “major”)?

Pretty sure we covered that in year 5 - let’s try again below;

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
noun

1. a person or group competing with others to achieve something.
    "the major contenders in the football championship"

Review my list.

I think what we are looking for is not a a list, but the methodology and the milestones that need to be achieved to qualify a team as a contender so we can understand your illogical take on this

So as soon as Hawks lose they BECOME a contender .
Jesus can I have what you're smoking please

I've got an even better scenario for you...

In 2023 there were three teams who contended for the premiership:
Collingwood
Brisbane
GWS (very narrow/unlucky Preliminary Final loss to the eventual Premiers).

The other team that was closest to being considered a premiership contender was............
MELBOURNE.

Melbourne finished top 4, and had a home Qualifying Final against Collingwood. A win would have set them up with a week's break, and a home Preliminary Final against GWS. Unfortunately, a narrow Qualifying Final loss meant they failed to get to the point of contending, as the road back was a bridge too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back