Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the History of the rivalry between Carlton and Collingwood, it's what makes it the biggest in the league.

If it wasn't for Carlton, Collingwood would never played ion the VFA, by extension they wouldn't be playing in the AFL Today;

In 1864, the Carlton Football Club was established, and in 1877, they were one of the founding clubs of the Victorian Football Association. In 1892, the Collingwood Football Club was established and admitted to the Association.

Once the VFA agreed to accept Collingwood's bid to join, it was realised that Collingwood had only scheduled 17 matches, when a minimum of 18 was required to qualify for the premiership. Collingwood looked unlikely to be eligible for the premiership in the upcoming VFA season until Carlton's club secretary, Jack Melville, cancelled a scheduled match with South Ballarat and instead scheduled an extra game against Collingwood.[5]

On 7 May 1892, at Victoria Park, Collingwood and Carlton faced off for the first time, in Collingwood's first-ever VFA match. Carlton won the match by one goal, 3.13 to 2.11.
[6]

Umpires slaughtered us that day

I love the History of the rivalry between Carlton and Collingwood, it's what makes it the biggest in the league.

If it wasn't for Carlton, Collingwood would never played ion the VFA, by extension they wouldn't be playing in the AFL Today;

In 1864, the Carlton Football Club was established, and in 1877, they were one of the founding clubs of the Victorian Football Association. In 1892, the Collingwood Football Club was established and admitted to the Association.

Once the VFA agreed to accept Collingwood's bid to join, it was realised that Collingwood had only scheduled 17 matches, when a minimum of 18 was required to qualify for the premiership. Collingwood looked unlikely to be eligible for the premiership in the upcoming VFA season until Carlton's club secretary, Jack Melville, cancelled a scheduled match with South Ballarat and instead scheduled an extra game against Collingwood.[5]

On 7 May 1892, at Victoria Park, Collingwood and Carlton faced off for the first time, in Collingwood's first-ever VFA match. Carlton won the match by one goal, 3.13 to 2.11.
[6]

So if that didn’t happen 132 years ago, we would have had a world without Fadge ?

1722645987023.gif

:(

VFL History and AFL History are the same thing, the same competition has been played for 128 years. Yes, it's all relevant, even your sole victory against us in a GF in 1910
It is all ancient history.

Carlton fans cant help but bringing up a good period in the 60s/70s.

Dont see many Collingwood fans brining up our good period in the 20s/30s.

Neither are relevant to this thread.

But rinse and repeat, the crusty old Baggers actually think it is worth bringing up stufd from 60 years ago.

It is all ancient history.

Carlton fans cant help but bringing up a good period in the 60s/70s.

Dont see many Collingwood fans brining up our good period in the 20s/30s.

But rinse and repeat, the crusty old Baggers actually think it is worth bringing up stufd from 60 years ago.
You can call it whatever it is, it's just 'History', without it you don't have what you have today. That 'ancient history' is what sets the Carlton-Collingwood rivalry apart from all others, instead of dismissing it, it should be recognised and respected.

On this point, as it appears that we will end up higher on the ladder than you, then you could say nothing that anyone argues from this point on is relevant. End the thread now. You know it doesn't work like that lol

On this point, as it appears that we will end up higher on the ladder than you, then you could say nothing that anyone argues from this point on is relevant. End the thread now. You know it doesn't work like that lol
Exactly.

Carlton fans cant help but think that things that happened 50-60 years ago are still relevant.

Rinse and repeat.

Pie fans - we are reigning premier
Bagger - big deal we won a GF 50 years ago
Pie fans - we beat you in R8
Bagger - big deal we won a game in 1979

If I was a Bagger I would pretend we haven't moved on from the 20th century too.

Exactly.

Carlton fans cant help but think that things that happened 50-60 years ago are still relevant.

Rinse and repeat.

Pie fans - we are reigning premier
Bagger - big deal we won a GF 50 years ago
Pie fans - we beat you in R8
Bagger - big deal we won a game in 1979

If I was a Bagger I would pretend we haven't moved on from the 20th century too.
Oh come on, I remember a time when we were winning premierships while Collingwood had the 'Colliwobbles'. Until we actually caught Collingwood's tally of 13 premierships that's all Collingwood supporters would talk about too lol. it'd then be...

Carlton supporters....we are the reigning premiers

Collingwood supporters....yeah , but we've won more flags than you have.

Swings and roundabouts. Things eventually turn.

I could have said it wasn't relevant to me too, Collingwood winning their most recent premiership (1958 at that time, was before I was born).

Oh no.... A Carlton supporter getting ahead of themselves.

Again.
You just make sure to enjoy the final seven or eight weeks weeks of being able to play the 'reigning premier' card.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh come on, I remember a time when we were winning premierships while Collingwood had the 'Colliwobbles'. Until we actually caught Collingwood's tally of 13 premierships that's all Collingwood supporters would talk about too lol. it'd then be...

Carlton supporters....we are the reigning premiers

Collingwood supporters....yeah , but we've won more flags than you have.

Swings and roundabouts. Things eventually turn.

I could have said it wasn't relevant to me too, Collingwood winning their most recent premiership (1958 at that time, was before I was born).
Another crusty bagger stuck in the 1970s.

Things turned when the AFL stopped the Carlton paper bags.

Tis 2024, Carlton have an active 25 year streak of not even making a GF, let alone winning one.

In 2024, the crusty Baggers stuck givinf bedtime stories to grandchildren of long suffering children about the 'glory days'.

It's a great card to have.

A lot better than the 'We haven't contended in over two decades and won five spoons in that time' card.
No doubt, I look forward to using that card again soon enough

I'm sure he could hit it 300 metres back in the 70's and 80's ('The Good Old Days').
2023 were the good old days for you mate and what does 2023 have in common with the 70's? All in the past and the now reality is 12th.

Another crusty bagger stuck in the 1970s.

Things turned when the AFL stopped the Carlton paper bags.

Tis 2024, Carlton have an active 25 year streak of not even making a GF, let alone winning one.

In 2024, the crusty Baggers stuck givinf bedtime stories to grandchildren of long suffering children about the 'glory days'.
Haha, you obviously have nothing of value to add , give me a break, you can't discuss Carlton Vs Collingwood without paying respect to the origins of it and the many twists and turns along the way that have led to this point.

Paper bags blah, blah, blah, is this all you are capable when discussing anything to do with these two great clubs? I'm assuming that you know that every club was doing that sort of thing and even worse if you go further back.

Anyway, on a point of relevance, you were better than us last year and we will be the better club of the two this year.

I look to your post conceding at the end of the season.

It's a great card to have.

A lot better than the 'We haven't contended in over two decades and won five spoons in that time' card.
The current reality is more amusing, one of the worst defences of a premiership in VFL-AFL history.

Haha, you obviously have nothing of value to add , give me a break, you can't discuss Carlton Vs Collingwood without paying respect to the origins of it and the many twists and turns along the way that have led to this point.

Paper bags blah, blah, blah, is this all you are capable when discussing anything to do with these two great clubs? I'm assuming that you know that every club was doing that sort of thing and even worse if you go further back.

Anyway, on a point of relevance, you were better than us last year and we will be the better club of the two this year.

I look to your post conceding at the end of the season.
They won't concede mate, they have been making excuses all season.

2023 were the good old days for you mate and what does 2023 have in common with the 70's? All in the past and the now reality is 12th.
Can't even really call them the good old days Rob, it was only one year .

They keep talking down 'The Glory Days of the 70's and 80's', it just hit me why, they haven't experienced any 'glory days' as a club since the late20s, early 30s :tearsofjoy:

I expect you'll be able to use the 'We haven't contended in over two decades and won five spoons in that time' card for some time to come.

Except it will increase to 3, 4, 5 decades and 6, 7, 10 spoons.
UhHuh, need to bookmark this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back