Who will be better in 2025? Crows or Port?

Who will be better in 2025?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Crows finished bottom 4 this year while Port finished top 4. Showdowns were split 1-1.
Port have been better for the last seven seasons as they haven't finished below the Crows since 2017, but I feel as though the wheel could turn next year.

Which side do you think will be better next year?

Nicks is still at the crows, which makes it hard.
Come back in 2026
Nicks arrived at Adelaide when they were a dumpster fire, and oversaw gradual improvement every year up until this year.
He reminds me of Hardwick in his early days at Richmond, except he receives far less scrutiny from the media.

Adelaide should play finals next year and there's every chance they'll go past Port, who are destined to finish mid table again.
Nicks will be remembered as a better coach than Hinkley by the time their coaching careers are done.

Nicks arrived at Adelaide when they were a dumpster fire, and oversaw gradual improvement every year up until this year.
He reminds me of Hardwick in his early days at Richmond, except he receives far less scrutiny from the media.

Adelaide should play finals next year and there's every chance they'll go past Port, who are destined to finish mid table again.
Nicks will be remembered as a better coach than Hinkley by the time their coaching careers are done.

No he won’t

Reckon most Port supporters are like me and couldn't GAFF tbh. We haven't made a Grand Final for two decades despite impressive win/loss and finals appearance records. That's what matters now - not our relative performance with other also rans.

Port.

Thilthorpe & Fogarty could be a great duo - but they’re not Tex Walker 2023 anytime soon. He dragged them to a “shoulda been 8th”, hardly like they just missed out on a flag.

Both could change coaches. Nicks for Kenny ?

Reckon most Port supporters are like me and couldn't GAFF tbh. We haven't made a Grand Final for two decades despite impressive win/loss and finals appearance records. That's what matters now - not our relative performance with other also rans.
Since joining the AFL in 1997, Port have the 4th best win rate of all clubs yet have only made two grand finals.
To say they've underachieved by only making two grand finals and winning only one flag is an understatement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide.

I think Port Adelaide have peaked under the Hinkley era.

Crows have more upside with their forwards. Isaac Cumming will also be one of the recruits of the year. Excellent user.
If they bring in Peatling, it gives Dawson more scope to continue on being one of the best midfielders in the game, not to mention Rankine is about to hit his prime.

Lets say Adelaide decide to terminate Nicks' contract.
Who do you suggest replacing him with? Yze and McQualter being the two most recent coaches hired shows there's not a lot of quality out there at the moment.

Why do those coaches suggest that?

Even if those guys were bad coaches, it doesn't work that way

Lets say Adelaide decide to terminate Nicks' contract.
Who do you suggest replacing him with? Yze and McQualter being the two most recent coaches hired shows there's not a lot of quality out there at the moment.
If we are not tracking for finals come mid-season, they may give Murray Davis the coaching role... given he has been brought into to take over many of Nick's duties, including managing all the assistants.

Back to the topic - This year I was on record that Port would finish ahead of the Crows.

Next season imo Crows will finish ahead of Port with a more balanced side & better depth... so long as Nick's doesn't **** up the game plan again over preseason.

Why do those coaches suggest that?

Even if those guys were bad coaches, it doesn't work that way
Yze has taken Richmond to a spoon and overseen a mass exodus of players after one year at the helm, despite having a list full of premiership players and being expected by many to bounce back into the top 8 in 2024.

I know Nicks won a spoon in his first year, but he arrived when the entire club was a dumpster fire and well on the way to crashing down to rock bottom.
He's had to rebuild the list from ground zero, unlike Hardwick and Clarkson who get credit for building Richmond and Hawthorn from the ground up despite both sides already having their young core of stars already in place.

McQualter is mediocre at best and Richmond know this, hence why they overlooked him for Yze when it came down to a choice between those two for their next coach.
If we are not tracking for finals come mid-season, they may give Murray Davis the coaching role... given he has been brought into to take over many of Nick's duties, including managing all the assistants.

Back to the topic - This year I was on record that Port would finish ahead of the Crows.

Next season imo Crows will finish ahead of Port with a more balanced side & better depth... so long as Nick's doesn't **** up the game plan again over preseason.
Crows forward line is very exciting and the back line is solid, while the midfield and rucks aren't much to write home about.
Reminds me of my own club actually and we made top 4 and a preliminary final this year.
Crows have improved their list over trades/free agency, this combined with the team looking to take two steps forward in 2025 after taking one step backwards in 2024 as young teams on the rise tend to do will see the Crows go past many teams next year.

Regarding the thread topic,
I reckon Crows make top 8 next year and Port finish 10th.

Yze has taken Richmond to a spoon and overseen a mass exodus of players after one year at the helm, despite having a list full of premiership players and being expected by many to bounce back into the top 8 in 2024.

I know Nicks won a spoon in his first year, but he arrived when the entire club was a dumpster fire and well on the way to crashing down to rock bottom.
He's had to rebuild the list from ground zero, unlike Hardwick and Clarkson who get credit for building Richmond and Hawthorn from the ground up despite both sides already having their young core of stars already in place.

McQualter is mediocre at best and Richmond know this, hence why they overlooked him for Yze when it came down to a choice between those two for their next coach.

Crows forward line is very exciting and the back line is solid, while the midfield and rucks aren't much to write home about.
Reminds me of my own club actually and we made top 4 and a preliminary final this year.
Crows have improved their list over trades/free agency, this combined with the team looking to take two steps forward in 2025 after taking one step backwards in 2024 as young teams on the rise tend to do will see the Crows go past many teams next year.

Is our midfield that bad as we have added to it?

From my best 23...

Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Crouch, Peatling, Cumming, Sholl as main inside/outside rotations.

Neal-Bullen, Rachele, Curtin & Pedlar rotations from forward line.

Taylor as sub & Berry as emergency.

Also, pick 4 likely to be a gun young midfielder like Draper.

Should see our top draft pick from last year - Edwards debut.

Is our midfield that bad as we have added to it?

From my best 23...

Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Crouch, Peatling, Cumming, Sholl as main inside/outside rotations.

Neal-Bullen, Rachele, Curtin & Pedlar rotations from forward line.

Taylor as sub & Berry as emergency.

Also, pick 4 likely to be a gun young midfielder like Draper.

Should see our top draft pick from last year - Edwards debut.
Crows have improved their list over trades/free agency, while Port's list has gotten worse.
Have the Crows brought in any new assistant coaches to help Nicks in the box?
I know Port haven't made any changes to their coaching panel.

Crows have improved their list over trades/free agency, while Port's list has gotten worse.
Have the Crows brought in any new assistant coaches to help Nicks in the box?
I know Port haven't made any changes to their coaching panel.
Yes, Crows have brought in Murray Davis from the Lions to be the new Director of Coaching - effectively managing all the assistants.

Richmond won the spoon because they suck and had injuries. To blame the whole thing on Yse is nonsensical

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2025? Crows or Port?

Back