Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Who will be better in 2025?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks depth is lacking and untested, also KPF stocks are sub par until Dear's body matures.

Geelong's midfield without Oliver still weak + an extra year in the legs of Stanley, Danger, Blicavs, Duncan who are pretty close to cooked as is.
Depth?
🤣

Morrison, Maginness, Jiath, Breust, Gunston, Frost etc as experienced depth

Scaife, Lewis, Chol, Dear and Gunston as key position, Battle will likely get a go there, Sicily can, Weddle might/could.

De Koning hasn’t really been performing at all in 2024, could be a gun but not sure why he stagnated so hard, atleast with Day he is probably one of hawthorns most important players, Lewis and him are massive inclusions from the finals sides.

De Koning was very inconsistent in the first half of the year. Showed real quality at times then struggled badly at other times.

His last 5 weeks after being moved into the ruck mainly were a revelation. He looked a completely different player including destroying Meek in Geelong. Then he got injured and must've been physically not right to be left out of finals. He was on crutches at the B&F so presumably he had further surgery on his knee post season.

If he hadn't had that last 5 weeks I'd be worried. But the quality is so obvious he just has to turn into a good player. Plenty of talls have gone through a lull around 22-23 then come out as stars on the other side. His brother an obvious example.

Day's already a gun no doubt about that.

De Koning was very inconsistent in the first half of the year. Showed real quality at times then struggled badly at other times.

His last 5 weeks after being moved into the ruck mainly were a revelation. He looked a completely different player including destroying Meek in Geelong. Then he got injured and must've been physically not right to be left out of finals. He was on crutches at the B&F so presumably he had further surgery on his knee post season.

If he hadn't had that last 5 weeks I'd be worried. But the quality is so obvious he just has to turn into a good player. Plenty of talls have gone through a lull around 22-23 then come out as stars on the other side. His brother an obvious example.

Day's already a gun no doubt about that.
De Koning is going to be a good player just wonder where he ends up playing.

What substance do you have behind your thoughts of hawthorn going a step backwards, I’m curious 🙏

I don’t necessarily subscribe in this case to the theory but in a lot of sports when a team does what hawthorn did this year and sort of come from the clouds to surprise the rest of the comp and make a quick rise up the ladder, they suddenly don’t have that element of surprise, a lot more work goes into breaking them down, their players have an established reputation of their strengths and weaknesses, plus the pressure increases to replicate what they did. I think that’s what the theory is anyway, that’s not to say it’s going to happen, it’s just as likely that the trajectory keeps going

I don’t necessarily subscribe in this case to the theory but in a lot of sports when a team does what hawthorn did this year and sort of come from the clouds to surprise the rest of the comp and make a quick rise up the ladder, they suddenly don’t have that element of surprise, a lot more work goes into breaking them down, their players have an established reputation of their strengths and weaknesses, plus the pressure increases to replicate what they did. I think that’s what the theory is anyway, that’s not to say it’s going to happen, it’s just as likely that the trajectory keeps going
I definitely believe this has happened and will happen for clubs in all sporting codes. However it is interesting as sometimes you can surprise yourself, however the group belief was always that they’d be competing for the 8 prior to 2024, and after the 0-5 start it was a consistently high level form, rather than just patches.

I would say late in the year everyone would of been treating Hawthorn as they will in 2025, hunting the form team in the comp and figuring every players weaknesses and strengths out (to an extent) more of a team focus.

This group will galvanise and flourish in pressure, you could see it all season, the group mentality and vibe is such.

You go on and add two high quality players to weaker areas, who are also experienced, even if the kids stagnate the side would be around the same as last year. However there’s a lot of players with growth to come in 2025, hence why it’s a shallow uneducated comment for those who truly believe it more than just a theory.

But definitely think it’s an interesting perspective in the matter.

Played poker against Sam Mitchell.

Pulled his pants down and left him penniless.

How is this even a question?

He started crying when Kenny took it to Ginny (and rightfully so). "A much older man..."

Give me a break...
Can you give the keyboard back to Dad?

The thing with Hawthorn is the balance across the park.

Sides couldn’t stop all of Amon, Sicily, Weddle and Impey slingshotting off half back in 2024, and this will likely continue in 2025 when there will be the added dynamic of Battle and Barass added, allowing Sicily or Weddle to play up the ground, plus the return of Jiath.

Unlike some other sides pushing for finals there’s no reliance on 1 or 2 superstars to have the side rolling along.

Geeze these hawks are up and about after 1 season in the 8.

1 swallow doesnt make a summer.

2 Phones Chol and Mitch Lewis your key forwards.... Sheesh..

Hawthorn rode a wave of momentum in 2024. I don’t expect that to be easy to replicate in 2025, but we’ll see.

No doubt you disagree because Hawthorn.
I love how you presume bias as a reason and not thinking logically, or is it “they’ll be worse because hawthorn”? See how anyone can throw it around.

I was curious and I disagree because I don’t think the momentum aligns being as long and as consistent as the form was. There was more to it then just “momentum.”

Geeze these hawks are up and about after 1 season in the 8.

1 swallow doesnt make a summer.

2 Phones Chol and Mitch Lewis your key forwards.... Sheesh..
Lewis is an A Grade key forward and Chol is pretty good, having another 40 goal season and being a top 5 pressure fwd in the comp, include Dear into this who is promising to be a gun key forward, it’s an odd area to highlight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how you presume bias as a reason and not thinking logically, or is it “they’ll be worse because hawthorn”? See how anyone can throw it around.

No, I presume bias because we're all familiar with your posts, Dom.

I was curious and I disagree because I don’t think the momentum aligns being as long and as consistent as the form was. There was more to it then just “momentum.”

I know you disagree. I told you that even before you did.

Never said there wasn't more to it. But momentum is a funny thing and they rode it, just as Carlton did the year prior.

Anyway. I think there's a decent chance Hawthorn aren't as good next season, you seem to think that's an impossibility. Good for you.

I'll leave it there with you - banging my head on a brick wall for the next 30 mins would be a more productive use of my time than bother with whatever nonsense comes from you next.

No, I presume bias because we're all familiar with your posts, Dom.

I know you disagree. I told you that even before you did.

Never said there wasn't more to it. But momentum is a funny thing and they rode it, just as Carlton did the year prior.

Anyway. I think there's a decent chance Hawthorn aren't as good next season, you seem to think that's an impossibility. Good for you.

I'll leave it there with you - banging my head on a brick wall for the next 30 mins would be a more productive use of my time than bother with whatever nonsense comes from you next.
Disagreeing or not understanding a perspective doesn’t constitute bias. Everyone is biased, but thinking an entire point is irrelevant due to the possibility of bias, is quite laughable. Instead of reading what was actually said, and resulting to “bias”.

I disagree with your particular point, obviously the string of momentum added to it, but it was not the only reason, which is how you insinuated it.

I definitely think it was apart of it, and the group benefited from it as such, and we can agree it wasn’t just that, hence why I think falling off because of that seems intriguing if that’s the only point/reason.

I don’t believe it’s an impossibility but to believe the only reason Hawthorn would be worse is because they’ve been worked out, focused on more or don’t have momentum to ride, is a poor and narrow minded take.

Trying to be big and condescending doesn’t give you any extra points in a discussion Jeremias.

Lewis is an A Grade key forward and Chol is pretty good, having another 40 goal season and being a top 5 pressure fwd in the comp, include Dear into this who is promising to be a gun key forward, it’s an odd area to highlight.
Chol was pretty disappointing in the finals
He can play a role but I suspect he won't be in your best 22 at seasons end

Brace yourself.

Any opinion of Chol short of him being the 2025 Coleman medal winner (or 2nd behind A grader Mitch Lewis) will be met with scorn and derision.

Had a down finals season and isn’t going to be a superstar. Does his job most weeks though and I can’t see him falling out of our best 22 given we have him and Dear as our 2 key forwards unless his form falls off a cliff.

Don’t need him to kick a lot of goals as long as he competes and provides pressure.

Chol had a fantastic year, but he was pretty banged up by the finals and played out the year with a jarred knee.

Their own fans Bronx cheered him

There's a reason 2 other clubs moved him on
I’m not entirely sure that he did receive bronx cheers. There was a lot of discussion on our board after the fact where most people said that it felt more like recognition of his effort on a pretty difficult night for him rather than derision.

I will say though, that there most definitely is an undercurrent of people (hawks supporters and others)who are quite ready to hurl insults at him and say that he’s lazy or other racially motivated tropes.
One of my mates was at the Semi final and said some of the things being yelled out towards Chol by some hawks fans were pretty disgusting.

I’m not entirely sure that he did receive bronx cheers. There was a lot of discussion on our board after the fact where most people said that it felt more like recognition of his effort on a pretty difficult night for him rather than derision.

I will say though, that there most definitely is an undercurrent of people (hawks supporters and others)who are quite ready to hurl insults at him and say that he’s lazy or other racially motivated tropes.
One of my mates was at the Semi final and said some of the things being yelled out towards Chol by some hawks fans were pretty disgusting.
Agree with you in that he and a good year
When Hawks drafted him I thought it was a dud decision but he played well and created contests to bring ball down to the small forwards

Chol had a pretty good season in 24. Can't see him getting pushed out of the best 22 unless a Scaife/Ramsden comes from the clouds like Dear.

He was forced to play as the #1 man which he just isn't suited for. Still had a great season in 24. 30+ goals and lot of defensive pressure from a big man. Disappointing finals series but not alone in that (Moore didn't fire either).

If we can play him in his natural role as the 3rd tall/ruck I think he will be a very dangerous player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Back