Who will be the last team to be beaten by GC and GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how our season is going, I think the more apt question is "who will we beat next?"

Given how well you blokes played against Essendon in the first half while they weren't taking you seriously, if you come up against a less talented team who aren't switched on, you should be able to establish a big enough half time lead to grab a well earned victory.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Collingwood.

Their record on the road is phenominal and their list is still fairly young.

I'd be reluctant to say Sydney for GWS because they'll get 2 cracks at them on a neutral ground every season.
West Coast or Freo would be likely candidates for either GC or GWS because they will often only play them once in a season with that one game being at Subi. But we must be due for a trip to the Gold Coast soon.

Given how well you blokes played against Essendon in the first half while they weren't taking you seriously, if you come up against a less talented team who aren't switched on, you should be able to establish a big enough half time lead to grab a well earned victory.

Unfortunetely i thought we had that lead against the demons :oops:

I'd be reluctant to say Sydney for GWS because they'll get 2 cracks at them on a neutral ground every season.
West Coast or Freo would be likely candidates for either GC or GWS because they will often only play them once in a season with that one game being at Subi. But we must be due for a trip to the Gold Coast soon.

Thinks ive mentioned it before but the AFL and both clubs are trying to have the derby games at each of the home grounds from next year, until it is a game that pulls in 60k and above.

Melbourne, downhill skiers that love an easybeat! Prepare to be smashed this weekend Mr Magic.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Collingwood.

Their record on the road is phenominal and their list is still fairly young.
Its a fair comment.

I guess the theory is that teams just slightly ahead of GWS/GC i.e Melbourne are more likely to stay ahead of them for longer (or in the ballpark) whereas Collingwood will be expected to drop down the ladder before Melbourne (5yrs + from now that is).

That however doesn't take into account 'lucky' games to GWS or 'Poor' games to those around them (no disrespect meant) that may result in a win to the expansion team over the established. This is a massive factor and anyone guessing melbourne is likely as right as another guessing the Hawks/Collingwood.

Yeah strange we have been to GC away twice and have GWS at home twice since GWS entered

I think you guys are the opposite over the past two years GC home twice and GWS away twice

Would be nice if they mixed it up - because I can understand each team only wanting one trip out West

In summary, it took 6 seasons for Fremantle, and 7 seasons for Port Adelaide.

I'd be upset if I was a GC or GWS supporter and it took that long to register a win against all the teams, considering the enormous amount of talent that they have.

So on that basis I would say it will only be in the next couple years, possibly Adelaide, West Coast, North or Freo.

Hard to gauge how either team travel at the moment as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If teams that don't exist yet count (which they do, according to this), the last team GWS will beat is going to be the Christchurch Knights.

If you want to play that game, then West Coast were actually the last team that Fremantle registered a win against, which was in Round 16, 1999.

Its a fair comment.

I guess the theory is that teams just slightly ahead of GWS/GC i.e Melbourne are more likely to stay ahead of them for longer (or in the ballpark) whereas Collingwood will be expected to drop down the ladder before Melbourne (5yrs + from now that is).
Yeah but Melbourne were bottom four 5 years ago, and Collingwood/Hawks/Cats etc were all top 4. Not much has changed. I really doubt Melbourne will be the last team beaten by either of them.

I think it'll be Sydney, as someone said. Can't see them ever bottoming out.

Hopefully Essendon and well after Fletcher has retired!

Speaking of, had he played on Saturday, he would be the only man in league history to have played against both the Fitzroy Lions and GWS Giants.

We play them again mid-year so he'll get his chance then.

Freo for GC, Hawthorn for GWS. Just at a guess with very little basis.

That however doesn't take into account 'lucky' games to GWS or 'Poor' games to those around them (no disrespect meant) that may result in a win to the expansion team over the established. This is a massive factor and anyone guessing melbourne is likely as right as another guessing the Hawks/Collingwood.
There is something fundamentally wrong with your logic here....

If I said I'd take Melbourne to be beaten by GWS before either Collingwood OR Hawthorn, would you take the bet?
I didn't say it would happen, I said it's a good THEORY.

Theorys are just that until proven true.

I think Collingwood or Geelong, as based on recent history they have a knack of staying around the top 4 and currently have a good crop of young kids too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be the last team to be beaten by GC and GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back