Who would you keep out of the 13 uncontracted players this year?

Who do you offer a contract extension to this year?

• Brayden Cook

Votes: 98 96.1%
  • Brodie Smith

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Chris Burgess

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Elliot Himmelberg

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Hugh Bond

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • James Borlase

Votes: 84 82.4%
  • Lochie Gollant

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Lochie Scholl

Votes: 85 83.3%
  • Ned McHenry

• Patrick Parnell

• Sam Berry

Votes: 90 88.2%
  • Taylor Walker

Votes: 84 82.4%
  • Will Hamill

Votes: 92 90.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading a 22 year old best 23 player for pick 29 makes perfect sense to me 🤷‍♂️
Do we need a decent but probably-never-going-to-be-great mid more than we need (for example) another ruck (or two), or a goal-kicking small forward, or a maybe-great mid?

Really good players are taken in rd 2. Would you rather keep Berry than get our next Worrell or Soligo?

If you could get pick 29 for Berry you'd start the car, rev the engine and do a massive burnout as you peeled away at great speed.
Not to be a victim of the sunk cost fallacy but using pick 26 in 2020, 3+ years of development and have him finally start in the middle over Laird last Saturday Night = rush for pick 29 or even pick 22?

Tex corrected himself on 7 news last night. He avoided answering whether he could be at another club next year by saying that’d be worked in after the season. He then corrected that to the next 4, 6 or 8 weeks. Last newspaper report was talks on hold till after season concludes, not sure if that’s still the case.
That correction sounds ominously like a Freudian slip. Particularly the timeframe.

This smells like Tex and the club have, or are, discussing a suitable farewell game.

I would be overjoyed if wrong. I want to keep the big fella. IMO, he adds to our squad.

Agree with most but we have seen enough of Ned to know he isn’t up to it. Was a bad selection by Hamish and as many pointed out at the time a player whose main positive attributes are endurance and a positive team mate isn’t enough unfortunately. Bond from almost all accounts also isn’t up to it.

Sholls year has saved him and I have always like Hamill so glad he is displaying what he is capable of.

Cook 3 years is risky. Let’s face facts - he does #### all most games and has embarrassing stats. It’s his 4th year and needs to materially increase output over coming years but worth another couple of years based on natural talent.
Cook really came late to the game. He has shot up, and had to really learn the game. He was destroying teams as an U18 just on pure talent. Now he has had to learn defence, team plays, build a tank, stepping up to AFL.
You can tell from the things he does do that he has some high level skills. Now, imagine what he can be with a larger tank, more experience and confidence.

Very clear cut by us on BF who the five/six delistings are, I wonder if Hamish and Reid have voted in our poll yet?

Doubt we've got anyone who would give us a usable pick if traded, likely to just be those future 4th trades where the traded in pick is never used. Won't even be worth points once the AFL fixes the farcical points table.

Not to be a victim of the sunk cost fallacy but using pick 26 in 2020, 3+ years of development and have him finally start in the middle over Laird last Saturday Night = rush for pick 29 or even pick 22?
It doesn't matter where someone is drafted, they then simply become a player on the list - it has no bearing on their subsequent trade value. We're not getting a pick in the 20's for Berry because he's not that good a player. A good tackler but fumbles too often and is an average kick. Someone might see value in him, maybe as a tagger but the modern game isn't very forgiving for 2 touch players who miss targets. If anyone is interested in him, I can't imagine we'd get better than a 3rd round pick for him.

It doesn't matter where someone is drafted, they then simply become a player on the list - it has no bearing on their subsequent trade value.
Not sure this is entirely correct. Why do people keep mentioning a 1st rounder for Poo
We're not getting a pick in the 20's for Berry because he's not that good a player. A good tackler but fumbles too often and is an average kick. Someone might see value in him, maybe as a tagger but the modern game isn't very forgiving for 2 touch players who miss targets. If anyone is interested in him, I can't imagine we'd get better than a 3rd round pick for him.
Yet every one on here and the wider Crows fanbase thought he was a superstar against Carlton

I dont know his value but I do know sales people dont talk down their product

Not sure this is entirely correct. Why do people keep mentioning a 1st rounder for Poo

Yet every one on here and the wider Crows fanbase thought he was a superstar against Carlton

I dont know his value but I do know sales people dont talk down their product
What people say on boards has no influence on trade value but I’ll concede that draft position does have some effect on a teenager like Poo that doesn’t have enough exposed playing time to stand alone. Berry has had 4 seasons, we won’t get a better pick for him because he was drafted in the 20s at this point.

He’s played some ok games, especially in 2022 but he never has been and never will be a superstar. His deficiencies can be worked on and improved but I’d be surprised if he was ever better than a fringe best 22 player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter where someone is drafted, they then simply become a player on the list - it has no bearing on their subsequent trade value. We're not getting a pick in the 20's for Berry because he's not that good a player. A good tackler but fumbles too often and is an average kick. Someone might see value in him, maybe as a tagger but the modern game isn't very forgiving for 2 touch players who miss targets. If anyone is interested in him, I can't imagine we'd get better than a 3rd round pick for him.
No, it doesn't have a bearing on trade value but it has a bearing on how much investment the club will provide before giving up on them.

ie. Berry won't be delisted or even traded because he is a decent player who is developing.

No, it doesn't have a bearing on trade value but it has a bearing on how much investment the club will provide before giving up on them.

ie. Berry won't be delisted or even traded because he is a decent player who is developing.
Don’t think he’s been offered a contract yet for next year so wouldn't be so sure of that. He's regressed since his 2nd year - which is likely as much to do with our development as Sam himself but it's not a good sign. He won't be delisted and you're never going to have 40 stars on your list so there's room for depth players like Berry but if the club want to invest more heavily in the draft over the next couple of years (and they should) he's one of the few expendable guys who might have some (not much but some) trade currency.

I personally would trade him as I'd like to see the list purged of players who are inconsistent with their disposal. Both our game plan and the modern game require players to hit targets even when under pressure or you get scored against. He doesn't do that often enough.

Berry does have a point of difference with his ability to drive through stoppages with brute force on top of his tackling ability, he’s never going to be a great kick but there’s something to work with as the defensive mid.

Playing him in the middle alongside Laird and/or Crouch though doesn’t work at all.

Ideally we’d keep him, but if another team offer something decent for him, he’s is IMO replaceable.

Are we ready for some re-signing announcements

Or

Is the club going to wait till end of July for 1 or 2? or is Tex the domino

Personally I hope we dont make any major announcements until August
I don't think there is any rush to re-sign any of the remaining players.

That doesn't read like we haven't offered him a contract to me or at least offered to talk contracts?
He’s probably smart enough to understand that if we’re going to prioritise Laird and Crouch over him then his midfield time is going to be very limited so he’ll be either in the SANFL or sub with minimum game time.

It's in Berry's interest to wait either way

He signs now he's fringe, so a crappy deal.

By the end of the season he'll be hoping to prove that he's a starter. Better offers from us and from elsewhere.

We have thirteen unsigned players on the list at this point.
What's your view on if they re-sign or not with the club.
The player are.
1. Brayden Cook
2. Brodie Smith
3. Chris Burgess
4. Elliot Himmelberg
5. Hugh Bond
6. James Borlase
7. Lochie Gollant
8. Lochie Scholl
9. Ned McHenry
10. Patrick Parnell
11. Sam Berry
12. Taylor Walker
13. Will Hamill

I think we keep Cook (2-3 years), Gollant ( 1 year or Rookie), Berry (2 year), Walker (1 year), Scholl (2 year), Hamill (2 year), Borlase (Rookie extension), Bond (1 year), Ned (1 year)

What say ye?

I'd keep

Cook
Borlase
Gollant
Sholl *could request a trade to Victoria
Parnell
Berry *Could request a trade to Victoria
Walker
Hamil

Himmelberg trade to GWS
Smith to retire
Mchenry, Burgess & Bond delisted

I'd keep

Cook
Borlase
Gollant
Sholl *could request a trade to Victoria
Parnell
Berry *Could request a trade to Victoria
Walker
Hamil

Himmelberg trade to GWS
Smith to retire
Mchenry, Burgess & Bond delisted
Himmelberg is a free agent, he walks to whoever he wants too.

Not the way I would go but we all know AFC will not delist Smith we are too nice.

I think we should give Tex another year and start the transition.

McHenry gone please he has had far too many opportunities already.

Gollant extremely lucky to get another year but is one of those guys who could just click.

Berry has earnt another year as has Sholl, Borlase, Cook and Hamill, Burgess surely signed on for 2 lucky for him if he did.

Parnell unlucky but gone Bond gone

Gollant could go click? Well, he has been in the system for 5 years and is 23 years old in September.

In his 15 games so far, he has hit double disposals 3 times (highest is 14 then 11 twice). At what point is he going to show what he is capable?

Back