Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A supposed "Bradbury" is still more than St Kilda can achieve

Saints were at least dominate for a quite a number of years, your team hasn't been for a looooooong time, and time will tell if you remain thereabouts this year etc........Saints also had to play 2 GF's to finally be beaten. So damn unlucky. We still shake our heads at how that 1st GF played out, the replay was one game too many for them that year. As happens unfortunately.

Saints were at least dominate for a quite a number of years, your team hasn't been for a looooooong time, and time will tell if you remain thereabouts this year etc........Saints also had to play 2 GF's to finally be beaten. So damn unlucky. We still shake our heads at how that 1st GF played out, the replay was one game too many for them that year. As happens unfortunately.
The only year St Kilda were dominate in was 2009 even then I would say that Geelong were the better side every other year they were the 3rd or 4th best side

A supposed "Bradbury" is still more than St Kilda can achieve
no shit captain obvious .... the two season St Kilda made the G/F they had to actually play a dominant team and both times were withing a bees dick of winning the bloody thing ... damn i wish the Saints had the luck of taking on a mentally soft team of cheese eating surrender monkeys instead of a fired up Geelong still smarting over getting stunned the year earlier in the g/f

no shit captain obvious .... the two season St Kilda made the G/F they had to actually play a dominant team and both times were withing a bees dick of winning the bloody thing ... damn i wish the Saints had the luck of taking on a mentally soft team of cheese eating surrender monkeys instead of a fired up Geelong still smarting over getting stunned the year earlier in the g/f
St Kilda didn't face any mentally soft sides because they were the mentally soft side

The only year St Kilda were dominate in was 2009 even then I would say that Geelong were the better side every other year they were the 3rd or 4th best side
2009 the saints team had its flaws but the total team buy in saw them mask those the botom six players in the Saints 2009 team were very average but the top 6 more then made up for it ... Geelong had the stronger side and i would say that 2009 Geelong side was as close as you could get to a perfect team balance .. in spite of that it took an act of brilliance/luck in the dying minutes for Geelong to take that flag off of St Kilda ...

St Kilda didn't face any mentally soft sides because they were the mentally soft side
yeah i know how mentally soft are St Kilda to win 19 consecutive games...
how mentally soft were they to battle it out with the might of Geelong and to have the game still be anyones to win in the final 5 minutes of the game only to lose due to a pivotal moment in the center of the ground where an inch the other way Scarlett has a fresh air kick with the ball running into a open St Kilda forward line ...
yep totally mentally weak stuff ...
then to add to that mental weakness the saints enter 2010 to have their captain tear his hamstring off the bone missing almost the whole year...
the weakness of mind St Kilda showing as they against the odds beat the stronger more dominant Geelong in the Qualifying final ..
then of couse the weak minds of Grand final day where after losing their ruckman in the opening term managed to stem the rampant Collingwood and actually take the lead in the dying mintes of the game ...
the mental softness obviously was to blame that the ball bounced away not towards Milne.....
totally nailed it ...
mental softness was the cornestone that St Kilda in its grandfinal years operated....

if only it was just "gastro" like the tigers of 2018

yeah i know how mentally soft are St Kilda to win 19 consecutive games...
how mentally soft were they to battle it out with the might of Geelong and to have the game still be anyones to win in the final 5 minutes of the game only to lose due to a pivotal moment in the center of the ground where an inch the other way Scarlett has a fresh air kick with the ball running into a open St Kilda forward line ...
yep totally mentally weak stuff ...
then to add to that mental weakness the saints enter 2010 to have their captain tear his hamstring off the bone missing almost the whole year...
the weakness of mind St Kilda showing as they against the odds beat the stronger more dominant Geelong in the Qualifying final ..
then of couse the weak minds of Grand final day where after losing their ruckman in the opening term managed to stem the rampant Collingwood and actually take the lead in the dying mintes of the game ...
the mental softness obviously was to blame that the ball bounced away not towards Milne.....
totally nailed it ...
mental softness was the cornestone that St Kilda in its grandfinal years operated....

if only it was just "gastro" like the tigers of 2018
The mental softness of leading all day but not being able to get it done, the mental softness of being able to at best fight to a draw and then get blown away the next week yes they are mentally soft

2009 the saints team had its flaws but the total team buy in saw them mask those the botom six players in the Saints 2009 team were very average but the top 6 more then made up for it ... Geelong had the stronger side and i would say that 2009 Geelong side was as close as you could get to a perfect team balance .. in spite of that it took an act of brilliance/luck in the dying minutes for Geelong to take that flag off of St Kilda ...
So true. Are you referring to the "toe poke" as brilliance / luck? If so, don't let Matthew Scarlett know. He maintains he was in absolute control

So true. Are you referring to the "toe poke" as brilliance / luck? If so, don't let Matthew Scarlett know. He maintains he was in absolute control
i reckon he knew exactly what he was doing and it came off (much to my disapointment) perfectly for Geelong ... the luck of it was that he timed it perfectly ... as i said had it been an inch off then it would have been a fresh air shot ... looking back on it now with the years past and it not being such a raw nerve to have gone so close i can appriciate the fact that, that grand final was one for the ages that Geelong side was friggin epic

The mental softness of leading all day but not being able to get it done, the mental softness of being able to at best fight to a draw and then get blown away the next week yes they are mentally soft
i know ... if only it was just Gastro ...
i mean i would much rather have a dominant season only to get demolished in a prelim final by a team who the very next week would coughed up a 5 goal lead in the grand final to a team who carry the stigma of not being able to travel... much better outcome...
that sneaky Gastro ....

i know ... if only it was just Gastro ...
i mean i would much rather have a dominant season only to get demolished in a prelim final by a team who the very next week would coughed up a 5 goal lead in the grand final to a team who carry the stigma of not being able to travel... much better outcome...
that sneaky Gastro ....
Thankfully Richmond aren't as mentally soft as St Kilda and will continue to contend instead of sliding into irrelevancy like St Kilda

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The official top 11 strongest flags of all time

1: 1974
2: 1967
3: 1934
4: 1932
5: 1980
6: 1920
7: 2017
8: 1973
9: 1969
10: 1921
11: 1943

All would flog any other side seeing that any other flag is worthless from weak years

Lions three peat better than the Hawks three peat for mine

End of the day it comes down to if you think the COLA concessions was more advantageous than the MCG home ground advantage the Hawks had
Well that's a good conversation stopper :rolleyes:

I guess I won't bother with these sorts of threads anymore on the main board

I'll just limit myself to arguments with fellow Hawk fans about whether the Clarkson Dynasty was better than the Allan Jeans Dynasty in the 80s, or the Kennedy/Parkin Dynasty in the 70s.

Thankfully Richmond aren't as mentally soft as St Kilda and will continue to contend instead of sliding into irrelevancy like St Kilda

Richmond were totally irrelevant until they somehow flicked the switch in 2017. They were a bit of a running joke people felt sorry for.

Amazing how Tigers fans forget that.

I think there’s one thing we can all agree on, regardless of how relevant you think Richmond 2017 are in this thread, St Kilda 09-10 are objectively less relevant.
of course this is about flag winning teams so St Kilda dont come into calculations but good to see you conceed that the tigers 2017 flag is lesser of the above mentioned flag winning teams of the last 25 years ...
the only reason St Kilda are mentioned is because they at least made Geelong and Colingwood earn their flags .... realistically we could discuss the 2009 & 2010 Bulldogs side as being the far stronger side than the 2017 Tigers ...

we can now all agree the 2017 tigers were in fact the weakest premiership team of the last 25 years

of course this is about flag winning teams so St Kilda dont come into calculations but good to see you conceed that the tigers 2017 flag is lesser of the above mentioned flag winning teams of the last 25 years ...
the only reason St Kilda are mentioned is because they at least made Geelong and Colingwood earn their flags .... realistically we could discuss the 2009 & 2010 Bulldogs side as being the far stronger side than the 2017 Tigers ...

we can now all agree the 2017 tigers were in fact the weakest premiership team of the last 25 years
That is some of the highest quality dribble I've read today

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Back